ADVERTISEMENT

Green Room Guys:

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
Anyone else find this annoying, and inappropriate? I watched the Duke v Miami game Monday night with my son, and then again last night, and it's a whole feature they have on ESPN to fill time during games focusing on players who might declare, and it seemed to me they talked about Thomas Bryant more than anyone. Bryant is good, but you had to look no farther than a redshirt freshman named Ethan Happ, who drove the ball at TB's chest relentlessly last night and with great success, to see that Bryant is no where near ready for the physicality of the NBA game. I never seriously considered that TB might leave after 1 year, but honestly if I were the kid or his parents listening to all the talk of him as a "Green Room Guy" and then DD blabbering on about how college players are already on their own and how much more they can develop their games in the NBA, I'd sure be thinking about it now. Just seems wrong for them to be pushing marginal kids out the door. Does anyone else think this is f'd, or am I just in a shitty mood and being a Bitch because we just lost for the 14TH STRAIGHT F'N TIME in Madison. That alone should get a coach fired from any self-respecting program.

Reactions: C-$
Anyone else find this annoying, and inappropriate? I watched the Duke v Miami game Monday night with my son, and then again last night, and it's a whole feature they have on ESPN to fill time during games focusing on players who might declare, and it seemed to me they talked about Thomas Bryant more than anyone. Bryant is good, but you had to look no farther than a redshirt freshman named Ethan Happ, who drove the ball at TB's chest relentlessly last night and with great success, to see that Bryant is no where near ready for the physicality of the NBA game. I never seriously considered that TB might leave after 1 year, but honestly if I were the kid or his parents listening to all the talk of him as a "Green Room Guy" and then DD blabbering on about how college players are already on their own and how much more they can develop their games in the NBA, I'd sure be thinking about it now. Just seems wrong for them to be pushing marginal kids out the door. Does anyone else think this is f'd, or am I just in a shitty mood and being a Bitch because we just lost for the 14TH STRAIGHT F'N TIME in Madison. That alone should get a coach fired from any self-respecting program.

There are some clown NBA scouts out there...

Bryant is young for his class and really needs to come back for AT LEAST a year...

I originally thought he was just not that athletic but I think he may still be growing into his body... Not sure.

ESPN has to find new guys to exploit, errr back, for the next few decades...so why not GRGs?

Meh, as far as gimmicks Green Room Guys is no Who's Now.

There are some clown NBA scouts out there...

Bryant is young for his class and really needs to come back for AT LEAST a year...

I originally thought he was just not that athletic but I think he may still be growing into his body... Not sure.

I think him growing into his body is a big thing; that best explains why he's so athletic with some movements and then looks like a baby dear just learning to walk with others. But given he'll physically mature independent of where he is, does he get a lot out of coming back to NOT get post touches and NOT be coached up on how to properly defend a pick'n'roll? Biggest reason for him to come back to college is if he's just not mentally mature enough to handle developing his game while at the end of a NBA bench or in D-League games (and this could be the case for TB).

Meh, as far as gimmicks Green Room Guys is no Who's Now.

I think him growing into his body is a big thing; that best explains why he's so athletic with some movements and then looks like a baby dear just learning to walk with others. But given he'll physically mature independent of where he is, does he get a lot out of coming back to NOT get post touches and NOT be coached up on how to properly defend a pick'n'roll? Biggest reason for him to come back to college is if he's just not mentally mature enough to handle developing his game while at the end of a NBA bench or in D-League games (and this could be the case for TB).

Yeah, what Dakich was saying about a guy developing in the NBA seems risky to me. if you get drafted high and then come in and don't play, I think it would risk f'ing with your mind and confidence. I can see development for a guy like Vonleh or Porzingis who are going to play, and develop while playing, but I just don't see TB being physically capable of playing with NBA posts and I think that could wreck a guys confidence. Hell, he couldn't deal with Happ last night and PU's frontline should be a good test. I'd be shocked if he left after this year, but I think ESPN promoting him as a "Green Room Guy" makes that alot more likely unfortunately.

Reactions: C-$
Yeah, what Dakich was saying about a guy developing in the NBA seems risky to me. if you get drafted high and then come in and don't play, I think it would risk f'ing with your mind and confidence. I can see development for a guy like Vonleh or Porzingis who are going to play, and develop while playing, but I just don't see TB being physically capable of playing with NBA posts and I think that could wreck a guys confidence. Hell, he couldn't deal with Happ last night and PU's frontline should be a good test. I'd be shocked if he left after this year, but I think ESPN promoting him as a "Green Room Guy" makes that alot more likely unfortunately.

That's basically my point.

You need to be READY ENOUGH so that you can get on the floor enough before your first contract ends...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT