ADVERTISEMENT

Great O-Line possibility entered the portal....

MTBRider22

Redshirt
Mar 10, 2022
Joey Tanona who was at ND entered the portal today. Very sad/interesting story with Joey. Was a top 200 player out of HS and got in a very serious car accident before he was ever able to play at ND. He had medically "retired" from football, but announced today that he's coming back and entered the portal. My guess is PU is where he'll end up (several of his friends are on the team) and LSU may come calling as Kelly recruited him to ND....but would love to see IU make a push. Kid was an absolute stud and, IMO, was even underrated as a top 200 player.

Reactions: 76-1
That's an inspirational story if so. That he has made such a strong recovery.

Although news reports when he retired indicate 'brain injury' . I hope it's OK for him to play football.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Would be a terrific comeback story if he can give it a go. Have heard that ND doctors would not give him medical clearance.

Reactions: vesuvius13
What kinda brain injury was it? Severe concussion/contusion? They should let him make the decision if he want to play or not. I myself had a severe brain contusion with a lot of bleeding from the brain when I was 13-14y.o. From a 90mph baseball to the noggin in 8th grade. I had to take a year off of football, but was able to play with no effects afterwards thanks to my helmet. I did probably get a concussion or 2 during my fb career too!
With tech advancements, newer helmets can help players like him be able to play longer.

Reactions: vesuvius13
What kinda brain injury was it? Severe concussion/contusion? They should let him make the decision if he want to play or not. I myself had a severe brain contusion with a lot of bleeding from the brain when I was 13-14y.o. From a 90mph baseball to the noggin in 8th grade. I had to take a year off of football, but was able to play with no effects afterwards thanks to my helmet. I did probably get a concussion or 2 during my fb career too!
With tech advancements, newer helmets can help players like him be able to play longer.
It's totally his decision if he wants to play or not for a different school. But typically when a player medically retires in collegiate athletics, it's because the school paying the scholarship won't medically clear the player and then it becomes an agreement between player/school to stay on scholarship to finish your degree while not counting towards the allotted scholarship number.

This happened with Dominque Booth a few years back. Booth was a high profile WR recruit out of Pike High School who had a bunch of concussions that ultimately led to his retirement. IU pretty much forced him to retire and believe he looked elsewhere to play but not sure if he ever caught on at a different school.

Last edited:
Helmets don't substantially prevent concussion. They do prevent physical injury to the skull.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT