ADVERTISEMENT

Golf course update

There is only one jackass in this thread...And everyone knows who it is.

at least i play, have seen the courses, and know what i'm talking about.

you don't play, obviously haven't seen the courses, and have no idea what you're talking about.

at least i play, have seen the courses, and know what i'm talking about.

you don't play, obviously haven't seen the courses, and have no idea what you're talking about.

You are a moron. Literally think you must have a serious brain injury.

I've played the course maybe 20 times ever....and not for at least 10 years. I haven't lived in Bloomington since 2004.

As to the rest of your gibberish....why would I waste time talking so much about golf if I didn't even play? Just to bother your dumbass?

You are a moron. Literally think you must have a serious brain injury.

I've played the course maybe 20 times ever....and not for at least 10 years. I haven't lived in Bloomington since 2004.

don't believe you for a second,

if you'd have played it even once, you'd have some idea what it looked like. which you obviously don't.

if you'd have played it even once, you'd have some idea what it looked like. which you obviously don't.

your obsession with twenty isn't healthy. let it go man.

and as for Oakmont, the tree removal has it looking like it was originally intended when it was first designed. like trees or not, it's how the course looked back in 1903. It was a links-style course at the beginning.

Reactions: Hoosier71

****tard what is that comment even based on?.

1st hole is a par 5, slight dogleg left, from an elevated tee....That's then strong uphill to the green. 17 and 18 run parallel to each other..to the right of 1. Basically flat holes....though 17 might be off an elevated tee, can't recall. Boring throw away holes. 16 plays hard uphill, slight dogleg right. 15 a shorty par 4.....throw away hole. 14 pretty tough par 3.

9 is a big curving, dogleg left par 5, cut into the woods...pretty tight. 10 plays hard uphill. 11 is another elevated tee shot and then uphill to the green. 12 I recall being a tough par 4.

#5 is a dogleg par 4 with severe elevation up to the green. One of the more interesting holes. #2 tees off from major elevated tee....over a steep valley to the fairway....which is tight with woods.

That good enough for a course I haven't seen in 10-15 years? You want a rundown of every hole for your pea brain?

Last edited:
your obsession with twenty isn't healthy. let it go man.

and as for Oakmont, the tree removal has it looking like it was originally intended when it was first designed. like trees or not, it's how the course looked back in 1903. It was a links-style course at the beginning.

links courses don't have trees, because they are built on land with no trees.. not because it makes for a better experience.

yes, Oakmont is like it originally was when built, but it's now not nearly as nice as it was with mature trees. (see images above. they don't lie).

the Oakmont members never wanted or even approved of the tree removal.

a few with power and a horrible vision hijacked the course and removed the trees at night by artificial lighting, so that the members wouldn't know what they were up to.

Scottish links courses are revered for their history and eccentricities.

few think them as beautiful as wooded American courses.

IU was designed by a 1st generation Scot who grew up playing in Scotland.

when he saw the piece of land he was given to work with, he used those resources that that piece of land possessed to their full potential.

trees do have upkeep and can cause turf issues.

but what they add far outweighs their downside.

if MCC is what you like in a course, you probably wouldn't like IU, (which i don't believe for a second you've ever played).

you overplayed your hand when you tried to describe it, and had absolutely no idea what the layout was. (you literally described the 180 degree opposite of the layout, so obviously you've never even seen it).

doubt you've played Rolling Meadows either, since you couldn't describe it either.

do you even play golf? i doubt it.

and btw, 4-5 handicaps don't play in the 3rd flight of club championships. (nice try there too).

at least 89 admits he doesn't play, and has never even seen the IU course.

your comments that everyone loves what they did to Oakmont is beyond laughable.

like i said, you're just a troll in this thread.
What? Where did I say I’ve never seen the golf course?

please elaborate what courses do it for you, that are 40-60 mins away.

if you and your friends liked playing the par 3, i can see why you didn't like the champ course.

short easy courses are generally more popular and get heavier play.

haven't played Rolling Meadows in over a decade, but it did have a very nice front 9. back wasn't nearly as nice a piece of land for a course, but still was more than decent for the price. (was very nice for $15-$20, so no idea where you think you're doing better for that).

Ross course in French Lick, Otter Creek, Hickory Stick, Clover Meadows (joking), and Country Oaks (greens/fairways always in good condition). I usually play Stonecrest because it's somewhat closer and pretty cheap - not an amazing course though. The IU course just isn't that great. Too many Par 4s and the Par 3s are all the same - 200+ yards straight and downhill.

Also, I liked the Par 3 course because it cost pretty much the same or less than the driving range and was a good resource for when I only had 1-2 hours to play. Rolling Meadows is great if you want to shoot 4-5 strokes below your typical score. Still a very average - at best - course.

Ross course in French Lick, Otter Creek, Hickory Stick, Clover Meadows (joking), and Country Oaks (greens/fairways always in good condition). I usually play Stonecrest because it's somewhat closer and pretty cheap - not an amazing course though. The IU course just isn't that great. Too many Par 4s and the Par 3s are all the same - 200+ yards straight and downhill.

Also, I liked the Par 3 course because it cost pretty much the same or less than the driving range and was a good resource for when I only had 1-2 hours to play. Rolling Meadows is great if you want to shoot 4-5 strokes below your typical score. Still a very average - at best - course.

Otter Creek is one of my favorite courses. However I think it is extremely over priced. $70 some dollars during the week? Crazy but it's subjective. But it is a fantastic track.

I live 5 mins from Hockory Stick. Fun track.

Hope to play Ross course someday.

Otter Creek is one of my favorite courses. However I think it is extremely over priced. $70 some dollars during the week? Crazy but it's subjective. But it is a fantastic track.

Yeah, I only play Otter Creek when I find a deal on GolfNow and I have a mutual connection to the Ross course for a discount rate. I like the Ross course because it's always in great shape, challenging, but still scoreable.

Reactions: IU40IU
Yeah, I only play Otter Creek when I find a deal on GolfNow and I have a mutual connection to the Ross course for a discount rate. I like the Ross course because it's always in great shape, challenging, but still scoreable.
You from Cbus by any chance?

No...from the great town of Cloverdale but have lived in Btown for 15 years.
Last trip up from Texas I stopped at the truck stop in Cloverdale. Wish I had time for some biscuits and gravy, would have brought back memories from my days at DePauw.

I had a Jr pass (under 18) for a couple years back in the mid 90s...that was the best deal in golf...think it was like $275/yr for unlimited golf. So played a ton there. Was always in great shape back then....sad to see McNutts reporting that conditions have gone so far downhill, apparently. That was a tremendous layout (the original 18). The East 9 was kind of meh...but still not terrible....just didn't fit at all with the original.

I had a Jr pass (under 18) for a couple years back in the mid 90s...that was the best deal in golf...think it was like $275/yr for unlimited golf. So played a ton there. Was always in great shape back then....sad to see McNutts reporting that conditions have gone so far downhill, apparently. That was a tremendous layout (the original 18). The East 9 was kind of meh...but still not terrible....just didn't fit at all with the original.

That's an incredible deal! That's about the time I picked up golf again after a 3-4 year hiatus.

I just looked at Otter Creek's current rates. Mon-Fri cost ya $79. That's insane, especially considering weekends are $89. You can go ahead and pay $100 and play all day. But to me, $79 during the week is a joke. They do think highly of themselves lol

That's an incredible deal! That's about the time I picked up golf again after a 3-4 year hiatus.

I just looked at Otter Creek's current rates. Mon-Fri cost ya $79. That's insane, especially considering weekends are $89. You can go ahead and pay $100 and play all day. But to me, $79 during the week is a joke. They do think highly of themselves lol

Wow...just looked and they still have that junior deal...it's $375 now....but still a great deal for kids that play a lot. Even the under age 30 for $750 is nice deal for the young crowd.

links courses don't have trees, because they are built on land with no trees.. not because it makes for a better experience.

yes, Oakmont is like it originally was when built, but it's now not nearly as nice as it was with mature trees. (see images above. they don't lie).

the Oakmont members never wanted or even approved of the tree removal.

a few with power and a horrible vision hijacked the course and removed the trees at night by artificial lighting, so that the members wouldn't know what they were up to.

Scottish links courses are revered for their history and eccentricities.

few think them as beautiful as wooded American courses.

IU was designed by a 1st generation Scot who grew up playing in Scotland.

when he saw the piece of land he was given to work with, he used those resources that that piece of land possessed to their full potential.

trees do have upkeep and can cause turf issues.

but what they add far outweighs their downside.
Oakmont was originally built without trees. They didn't cut down trees. The tree removal made sense and was done with the approval of the club president, although there were certainly some battles among members, if I recall the stories correctly. I agree with you that trees are beautiful, but they don't mesh well with golf courses.

I would recommend listening to the latest episode of the "Fore Play" podcast, where they interview the superintendent at Winged Foot, that is undergoing a renovation, with a large tree removal component, to hear his take on trees on golf courses and the difficulties they cause for growth of healthy grasses. And that is at a club liked Winged Foot, with nearly limitless resources, as opposed to a public, university-owned course.

If I honestly believed that IU had the resources to maintain the golf course to a championship level, while keeping the heavy tree component that currently exists, I wouldn't be opposed to it, as that was the original design and the original state of the land upon which the course was built. Unfortunately, the university needs to balance that original state of the land against the maintenance needs of the course and the resources available. Most people would rather play a course with pure conditions than one with spottier conditions, even considering the architect's original intention. I don't think the course needs to be lush, and I would like to see IU embrace the more natural conditioning that we saw at the US Open a couple years back at Pinehurst. That said, the goal should be to have the turf playing firm and fast, and it is not really possible to create those conditions, with financial limitations, while being heavily forested.

I do believe, though, that the redesigned course will certainly maintain some of the foresting that we see now, though.

Reactions: twenty02
any issues you have with the green would be addressed in the renovation.

renovation, by definition, implies not leaving everything as it is.

that said, the greens at IU are not bad at all.

all courses can and do have turf issues at times.

this absurd pretext that you can't have a wooded course with nice fairways and greens, or that if they don't, it's only because they are wooded, is pure BS, and you know it.

and again, i've always stated i would thin out the trees in spots.

no doubt if IU tore down the old Student Bldg with the clock/bell tower on the crescent, and put up a new steel and glass structure in it's place, you would think that was great, and cite some maintenance efficiencies as ample reasoning for the change.

the new design will never be what the current course could be if lengthened and renovated.

it will be just another of what we already have many of in central Indiana, and everywhere else. (and they all have their turf and green issues as well, and get a lot more maintenance than IU).

if you like treeless courses, go play the new Dye course at French Lick. everybody hates it, for obvious reasons, but hey, i'll bet it has great turf and greens.

Dumb. I’ve played the Due Course with dozens of people & haven’t heard anyone say they hate it. But we tend to view the course as something more than a place for trees.

Reactions: Hoosier71
Dumb. I’ve played the Due Course with dozens of people & haven’t heard anyone say they hate it. But we tend to view the course as something more than a place for trees.
Love the Dye Course, but I am generally a Pete Dye fan. I get the love/hate some have for him, but, to say that nobody likes the Dye Course is simply false. A lot of pros had good things to say after the Senior PGA.

too many par 4s is an interesting and new critique for a golf course.

IU has 3 more par 4s than the average course, (2 more than most par 71s), but guess i never saw that as a big negative.

as for the par 3s being "straight", guess you must like those "dogleg" par 3s better. bwg

only 1 par 3 is noticeably downhill, and memorable par 3s often seem to be downhill for some reason.

playing lengths of par 3s is easily addressed with tee placement. (guessing the new design will have lengthy par 3s from the tips as well).

Rolling Meadows is relatively short due to amount of land, but play it from the tips and you get some long forced carries for an old guy like me. (amazing views from the top of the hill). (i mostly only played the front 9 back when i played there. much more interesting than the back).

on a side note, anyone else but me see on the news this past yr that one of the houses to the left off number 5 tee on RM blew up due to natural gas explosion? (suicide by gas explosion i think was the conclusion by investigators).

never played Hickory Stick, Stonecrest, or Country Oaks. (don't even know where Stonecrest or Country Oaks are).

played the Ross course back in the 1960s. wasn't wowed and not near as impressive as IU at the time.

guessing they've fixed it up a lot since all the French Lick renovation.

played Otter Creek many times, all back in the 60s.

ok, but never thought it was anything great.

guessing the trees there have grown up a lot since then.

hear they have major issues with sand rake placement. bwg

i'm guessing the courses you play all have all bent grass tees and fairways, fairway traps, and water.

IU has no premium grass fairways or tees. not one single fairway trap on the entire course. not one water hazard. (no doubt wasn't working with an unlimited budget when built).

you have to look at IU for what it could be. not what it is.

thin out the trees lining the more closely wooded fairways, (current 2, 3, 10, 11, 12), add the number of fairway traps and water the new design will encompass, plant premium grass fairways and tees, (needed irrigation and drainage of course), lengthen in spots, and it would be flat amazing.

what the current IU lacks that keeps it from being great, can be added.

what the current IU has that the new course won't, what all the other nicer newer central Indiana courses lack, and what very few other courses have, can never be reclaimed, and why while a new course at IU will be nice just like the many other nice newer central Indiana courses, it will never be anything special.

the current course renovated well would be something really special. the nicest course in Indiana at minimum, and a destination course.

Last edited:
With all of the talk about Otter Creek and the cost, I checked golfnow and they had two deals on there for $20. I have only played there twice, and it’s been over 25 years ago but I remember it being a very good course.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT