ADVERTISEMENT

Golf course update

RBB89

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2002
I know there was a lot of interest in this the last time I mentioned it, so I will post this over here too. The design for the course will be approved at the trustees meeting this Friday. Construction ($12 million) will begin this fall. The description, posted below, has been released, and I will update this thread with renderings from the meeting on Friday:

119aur4.jpg

And for anyone interested in the campus in general:

35ldbo5.jpg

Two other notes: the cross country course will be adjusted but kept in place/upgraded. Also, the new hospital will be finished about a year after the golf course and will be pretty much next-door:

Reactions: snowling and bchoka
I know there was a lot of interest in this the last time I mentioned it, so I will post this over here too. The design for the course will be approved at the trustees meeting this Friday. Construction ($12 million) will begin this fall. The description, posted below, has been released, and I will update this thread with renderings from the meeting on Friday:

119aur4.jpg

35ldbo5.jpg
That sounds really great. I like the vision that they have for the entire facility. I LOVE the fact that, in the redesign, they are losing acres of manicured turf and returning to native grasses. This will improve drainage and maintenance costs.

This is an exciting project that I have been waiting on for a long time. Thanks for sharing these notes.

119aur4.jpg

35ldbo5.jpg
I need input from McNutt to make sure this course will meet his standards first.....then the BoTs may proceed.

119aur4.jpg

35ldbo5.jpg

2 Things:
Will rakes be required to be left inside the bunkers or just outside on the edge next to said bunkers?
How will the grass on the edges of green-side bunkers be maintained?

Signed,
McNutt

Don Fischer was on either Dakich or JMV in the past week or so and mentioned that the renovated golf course was going to be really, really special. I'm really excited to see work get started on this and to so the final layout/routing. It will be nice to see the golf team have the opportunity to host events at their home course moving forward. There is also a tremendous opportunity for an athletics related revenue stream during the summer months, as well.

Don Fischer was on either Dakich or JMV in the past week or so and mentioned that the renovated golf course was going to be really, really special. I'm really excited to see work get started on this and to so the final layout/routing. It will be nice to see the golf team have the opportunity to host events at their home course moving forward. There is also a tremendous opportunity for an athletics related revenue stream during the summer months, as well.
Absolutely. This is a big deal. Long overdue.

Reactions: Hoosier71
Absolutely. This is a big deal. Long overdue.
One of the things that makes it a big deal is that, in addition to the tennis courts, is the one athletic facility that will be available for the public to use. It really provides a "hands on" way for fans and alumni to be a "part" of the program, even if it is for an occasional round. That is exciting.

Additionally, there is a lack of quality public golf in that part of the state. What good is nearby for the Bloomington community? Salt Creek in Nashville? That place isn't what it used to be. Otherwise, you have Cascades, Eagle Pointe, maybe a couple of country courses, and really nothing. People that want to play a quality golf course needed to drive to Indy or Columbus to have that option.

Beyond that, it will provide an additional event space for the university and athletic department. Will be a nice tool for some of these team and program reunions that we see recognized during games.

Reactions: IUgradman and RBB89
One of the things that makes it a big deal is that, in addition to the tennis courts, is the one athletic facility that will be available for the public to use. It really provides a "hands on" way for fans and alumni to be a "part" of the program, even if it is for an occasional round. That is exciting.

Additionally, there is a lack of quality public golf in that part of the state. What good is nearby for the Bloomington community? Salt Creek in Nashville? That place isn't what it used to be. Otherwise, you have Cascades, Eagle Pointe, maybe a couple of country courses, and really nothing. People that want to play a quality golf course needed to drive to Indy or Columbus to have that option.

Beyond that, it will provide an additional event space for the university and athletic department. Will be a nice tool for some of these team and program reunions that we see recognized during games.

Yea Salt Creek is just not that great of a course. Some neat holes but overall a disappointment. How is Rolling Meadows? It has been probably 20+ years since I've played that course and I really can't remember it. But you're right, this is just what Btown and IU needs.

Yea Salt Creek is just not that great of a course. Some neat holes but overall a disappointment. How is Rolling Meadows? It has been probably 20+ years since I've played that course and I really can't remember it. But you're right, this is just what Btown and IU needs.
I haven't played Salt Creek in years. It has always been an interesting layout, but had some really funky holes. Maintenance always seemed really inconsistent and the property, at least most of the lower lying holes, didn't drain particularly well. Would be nice is somebody would put a little money into improving it, as I think it's a fun, quirky little course. I've never played Rolling Meadows. I know that Tim Liddy designed or redesigned it, but I think that it just recently reopened. I actually looked at their website recently and it looks like it was bought by a group of golfers, so, hopefully they'll be able to make it work.

There is some money in Bloomington and people that will pay for a quality golf course. Bloomington CC is OK, but this sounds like it will blow that away.

I haven't played Salt Creek in years. It has always been an interesting layout, but had some really funky holes. Maintenance always seemed really inconsistent and the property, at least most of the lower lying holes, didn't drain particularly well. Would be nice is somebody would put a little money into improving it, as I think it's a fun, quirky little course. I've never played Rolling Meadows. I know that Tim Liddy designed or redesigned it, but I think that it just recently reopened. I actually looked at their website recently and it looks like it was bought by a group of golfers, so, hopefully they'll be able to make it work.

There is some money in Bloomington and people that will pay for a quality golf course. Bloomington CC is OK, but this sounds like it will blow that away.

Agreed. Salt Creek is definitely quirky. There are some neat holes though...i do like 9 and 18 and of course the one up on the cliff hitting down toward 46. There are times when the golf cart ride is as exciting as the golf. I will say they serve some killer Bloody Mary's!

Agreed. Salt Creek is definitely quirky. There are some neat holes though...i do like 9 and 18 and of course the one up on the cliff hitting down toward 46. There are times when the golf cart ride is as exciting as the golf. I will say they serve some killer Bloody Mary's!
Agree. Always liked 9 and 18, and the one coming off the hill, maybe 15? I kind of liked the holes that were back up in the woods behind the clubhouse, too. The main ones that are particularly interesting (not in a good way) are the ones on the front that have the multiple water crossings that require you to really lay back. I guess that's one way to get a short course to play a bit longer.

Reactions: IU40IU
What is Fuzzy's involvement?
From the plan, it looks like he was a design consultant that worked with Steve Smyers. It's essentially the role he has played with Covered Bridge, Champion's Point and other courses that he has his name on. Clyde Johnston has done all of the heavy lifting on most, if not all, of Fuzzy's courses.

I'll be very interested to see if this course comes to be known as a Smyers/Zoeller design. I definitely don't have a problem with it, it's just one of those things that ultimately seems to play out the way that I kind of expected that it would.

From the plan, it looks like he was a design consultant that worked with Steve Smyers. It's essentially the role he has played with Covered Bridge, Champion's Point and other courses that he has his name on. Clyde Johnston has done all of the heavy lifting on most, if not all, of Fuzzy's courses.

I'll be very interested to see if this course comes to be known as a Smyers/Zoeller design. I definitely don't have a problem with it, it's just one of those things that ultimately seems to play out the way that I kind of expected that it would.

Great, thanks for the info. I've always been a fan of Fuzzy's and have played Covered Bridge, interestingly enough about a week after his Tiger Woods/ fried chicken comment. The day we played CB, he was walking out of the on course restaurant carrying (no joke) a box of KFC chicken as we walked in. I asked if I could get my picture taken with him holding that box and at first he said, "sure" but then he said "uh, wait, better not, lol." But he did autograph my scorecard.

Reactions: RBB89
Great, thanks for the info. I've always been a fan of Fuzzy's and have played Covered Bridge, interestingly enough about a week after his Tiger Woods/ fried chicken comment. The day we played CB, he was walking out of the on course restaurant carrying (no joke) a box of KFC chicken as we walked in. I asked if I could get my picture taken with him holding that box and at first he said, "sure" but then he said "uh, wait, better not, lol." But he did autograph my scorecard.
Fuzzy is a great guy and a big time supporter of IU, despite not having attended. I believe that he has let coaches use his private plane in the past for recruiting trips, etc., beyond simply donating nice sums of money. He has also done a lot of good things, generally, for golf in southern Indiana.

I played on the golf team at New Albany, and, during my freshman year, Phil Thrasher was still the golf coach, who was the golf and wrestling coach back when Fuzzy was in school. He always had some entertaining stories about him from back in the day

Rolling Meadows was really nice back when i played it, and The Point was nice too, but apparently both struggled financially.

neither was anywhere near the basic layout IU was, even though they had the bling, (all bent grass, fairway traps, some water), that would have transformed IU from a great layout to something special.

IU was already a nice course, and could have been flat out great had they renovated the existing layout.

new design won't touch what the the old course fully renovated could have been, and will cost twice as much to do.

i won't blame the new architects, because the old course was literally carved out of a forest and had the old course vibe.

no way to duplicate that, and what it could have been.

new course will be another of many like it.

yes, it probably will be very nice, but so are all the many other central Ind courses it will be like. (with a few more hills than the Indy area courses).

central Indiana has a zillion very nice newer style courses, of which the new IU course will be just another, while it could have been something really special and great.

total and complete insanity.

what a dark day for IU and Btown area golf.

Last edited:
Rolling Meadows was really nice back when i played it, and The Point was nice too, but apparently both struggled financially.

neither was anywhere near the basic layout IU was, even though they had the bling, (all bent grass, fairway traps, some water), that would have transformed IU from a great layout to something special.

IU was already a nice course, and could have been flat out great had they renovated the existing layout.

new design won't touch what the the old course fully renovated could have been, and will cost twice as much to do.

i won't blame the new architects, because the old course was literally carved out of a forest and had the old course vibe.

yes, it probably will be very nice, but so are all the many other central Ind courses it will be like. (with a few more hills than the Indy area courses).

central Indiana has a zillion very nice newer style courses, of which the new IU course will be just another, while it could have been something really special and great.

How can it be a dark day for Bloomington if you are literally the only person upset about this?

You are brain dead.

Reactions: RBB89
Agree. Always liked 9 and 18, and the one coming off the hill, maybe 15? I kind of liked the holes that were back up in the woods behind the clubhouse, too. The main ones that are particularly interesting (not in a good way) are the ones on the front that have the multiple water crossings that require you to really lay back. I guess that's one way to get a short course to play a bit longer.

That course is bizarre. I don't hate it, it's got some natural beauty....but it's just poorly designed. Over the years they have tweaked some of the more ridiculous holes....but the 6th is still the same dumb par 5 that you have to lay way back off the tee (unless you carry it 280+).

The back nine holes are fun....but they are all super short. Conditions have always been sketchy.

Rolling meadows was fairly decent 15 years ago....was never great, but was a good value for a nice layout....though a very typical, fairly flat, treeless modern Indiana course. We played it more than anywhere when I was at IU. Haven't been back since those times....but I understand it went tits up entirely....was barely being maintained, greens were shrunk in size, etc....

Reactions: IU40IU
Rolling meadows was fairly decent 15 years ago....was never great, but was a good value for a nice layout....though a very typical, fairly flat, treeless modern Indiana course. We played it more than anywhere when I was at IU. Haven't been back since those times....but I understand it went tits up entirely....was barely being maintained, greens were shrunk in size, etc....

the front 9 was hardly flat, or treeless..

modern courses that have trees, tend to have them more removed from the fairway, thus less in play, than older courses.

trees were often a big part of old school courses, newer courses not so much.

IU is out of their mind not to renovate the old course.

new course will be nice no doubt. most new courses, even housing addition courses, are with any money put into them, as the formula is pretty well known by now. but won't be anything close to what IU could have had renovating and lengthening the current course.

modern courses that have trees, tend to have them more removed from the fairway, thus less in play, than older courses.

new course will be nice no doubt. most new courses, even housing addition courses, are with any money put into them, as the formula is pretty well known by now. but won't be anything close to what IU could have had renovating and lengthening the current course.
No. One. Agrees. With. You.

Trees (heavy) are not desirable near playing lines for a variety of reasons....turf quality being the big one. Good turf doesn't do well in shade....particularly greens, which are a nightmare in heavily treed locations.

Example 1a is Salt Creek, as discussed right here.

A lot of the older courses that have a major tree component weren't originally designed that way. Oakmont was a prime example of that. It was originally designed to be mostly treeless, but, over the years, became heavily wooded. They went back to the original design about a decade ago, which you can see today.

Being heavily wooded often will serve to slow play, where you have a large contingent of players that are average to below average. A place like Augusta National can get away with having a lot of trees due to a membership that knows the course and that uses caddies. Beyond that, it makes maintenance much more expensive and time consuming. If you wanted to renovate the existing IU course, by improving drainage, rebuilding tees/greens, rebuilding bunkers, etc., without removing trees, the green fees would probably need to be in excess of $100, in order to properly fund maintenance. Again, some courses can get away with that, where there is a well-funded membership or high green fees.

In a perfect world, I don't think that you are totally off-base. The existing layout could be very interesting with a substantial amount of work. I don't think that it is practical for what we are looking for, a well-maintained, challenging course, that is reasonably priced for the students and general public. There is nothing wrong with preserving older courses, but the existing IU layout is far from classic and deserving of such care. If the existing IU course was akin to the Course at Yale, for example, with significant architectural characteristics, that would be a different story.

There is a reason why there aren't a ton of heavily wooded courses in Indiana, as opposed to more open courses. Most of the terrain in Indiana has more prairie type characteristics, versus the northeast, pacific northwest, etc.

I have fond memories of the existing IU course. Played it a ton as a student, and played there during my bachelor party weekend. Despite those memories, I'm not sad to see it go. It's time that IU stepped up to the plate and had a facility that is comparable or better than it's peers.

Trees (heavy) are not desirable near playing lines for a variety of reasons....turf quality being the big one. Good turf doesn't do well in shade....particularly greens, which are a nightmare in heavily treed locations.

Example 1a is Salt Creek, as discussed right here.
Salt Creek is an excellent example. Sultan's Run had turfgrass issues with some of their wooded holes, which improved with tree removal. There are plenty of courses around Louisville with the same issues (Wooded View, Glenmary (before it closed), Hidden Creek, etc.)

If you want a well-maintained course that is reasonably priced, you need to limit the amount of tree cover and limit maintained turfgrass by transitioning as much land as possible to native grasses that don't require a ton of upkeep or maintenance. There are a lot of courses in Indiana that get it right.

Salt Creek is an excellent example. Sultan's Run had turfgrass issues with some of their wooded holes, which improved with tree removal. There are plenty of courses around Louisville with the same issues (Wooded View, Glenmary (before it closed), Hidden Creek, etc.)

If you want a well-maintained course that is reasonably priced, you need to limit the amount of tree cover and limit maintained turfgrass by transitioning as much land as possible to native grasses that don't require a ton of upkeep or maintenance. There are a lot of courses in Indiana that get it right.

Good article here on the topic.

http://golfclubatlas.com/sponcia-joe-trees-on-the-golf-course-p-2/

That is an excellent article and I have seen that previously. GCA is a FANTASTIC website.

The best takeaway from that article is that trees and turfgrass aren't friends and don't mix. Growing grass where trees compete for resources (water, sunlight, and nutrients) requires an ungodly amount of work, effort, and luck from the maintenance staff.

You can certainly do interesting things with trees on a golf course strategically. Simply using them as a hazard isn't one of them. I happen to think that Augusta has done major harm to their course with the addition of trees on 11 and 15, due to "Tiger-proofing" the course in an effort to protect scores. Augusta can make that work because of the resources they have available and the fact that the course is closed for more than half of the year. A good usage of a tree, though, was the Eisenhower Tree, before it was brought down. It could be played around, but created a concern for the best players.

I will be very interested to see what the new Augusta chairman does with the course. There has been talk of tree removal there.

Reactions: twenty02
A lot of the older courses that have a major tree component weren't originally designed that way. Oakmont was a prime example of that. It was originally designed to be mostly treeless, but, over the years, became heavily wooded. They went back to the original design about a decade ago, which you can see today.

Being heavily wooded often will serve to slow play, where you have a large contingent of players that are average to below average. A place like Augusta National can get away with having a lot of trees due to a membership that knows the course and that uses caddies. Beyond that, it makes maintenance much more expensive and time consuming. If you wanted to renovate the existing IU course, by improving drainage, rebuilding tees/greens, rebuilding bunkers, etc., without removing trees, the green fees would probably need to be in excess of $100, in order to properly fund maintenance. Again, some courses can get away with that, where there is a well-funded membership or high green fees.

In a perfect world, I don't think that you are totally off-base. The existing layout could be very interesting with a substantial amount of work. I don't think that it is practical for what we are looking for, a well-maintained, challenging course, that is reasonably priced for the students and general public. There is nothing wrong with preserving older courses, but the existing IU layout is far from classic and deserving of such care. If the existing IU course was akin to the Course at Yale, for example, with significant architectural characteristics, that would be a different story.

There is a reason why there aren't a ton of heavily wooded courses in Indiana, as opposed to more open courses. Most of the terrain in Indiana has more prairie type characteristics, versus the northeast, pacific northwest, etc.

I have fond memories of the existing IU course. Played it a ton as a student, and played there during my bachelor party weekend. Despite those memories, I'm not sad to see it go. It's time that IU stepped up to the plate and had a facility that is comparable or better than it's peers.

they flat out ruined Oakmont when they clear cut it imo. what a disaster.

there's a reason you don't see many other great courses following that complete boondoggle.

the greens at IU did fine.

thick rough and sand slow down play way more than trees.

the reason most new courses in Indiana don't have trees as a major design component, is because they are being built on former farm land.

as for green fees, 12 mil would more than renovate the current course quite nicely thank you, and sand adds more expense than trees.

saying starting from scratch rather than renovating is cheaper, or significantly less expensive to maintain, i don't believe for a second.

your greens fee argument is total BS.

all that said, if renovating the current IU course, as i've stated before, i would definitely thin out some of the trees lining the fairways.

architects would much rather build their own course and sign their own name to it, and have another notch on their resume', than renovate an existing course and not have it be their design, no matter how great it could be, for the same reason an artist would much rather hang their own painting in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, than renovate a master.

the new course will be very nice no doubt.. but it will be just another formula course like all the other very nice new formula courses all over central Indiana and everywhere else, and not something truly great, which the carved out of a forest current course, if renovated correctly, would be.

no need to drive down from Indy or Carmel or up from Louisville to play the new IU course, when you can have that same experience at a dozen or more other courses much closer. whereas renovating the current course correctly would have offered something really great and far more unique, a "destination course", that you won't find elsewhere anywhere close.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT