ADVERTISEMENT

Glass

The disgust and frustration phase precedes the apathy phase. But you'll get there soon enough. You can't live with the frustration and disgust game after game without eventually realizing that you are only punishing yourself...Been there, done that. Now, its dam near unwatchable. Will catch a few minutes here or there....When you care more about IU basketball than the powers that be....you might as well beat your head against the wall. They are making money on IU basketball....the fans are spending it. Different priorities.

Agreed. IUBB will always matter to some degree by being the biggest spender with the most fans in a basketball-addicted state. But we're more like Texas football now. Can't get out of our own way.

Let me preference by saying that I appreciate your input on various topics. However, I just don't see Glass pulling the plug on Crean. My imagination tells me that Crean sticks his nose up Glass's you know what, and Glass is given a pat on the head from the administration for "taking control" of the basketball program. Is there another variable I am missing?
The one thing I think you're underestimating is the pressure Glass is getting right now. He knows how the boosters and fan base feels...in fact he's known for 2-3 years. The people he cares about are boycotting alumni events and he's hearing it from every direction. At the end of the day this pressure matters, and it will ultimately cost Crean his job regardless of how Glass feels.

The one thing I think you're underestimating is the pressure Glass is getting right now. He knows how the boosters and fan base feels...in fact he's known for 2-3 years. The people he cares about are boycotting alumni events and he's hearing it from every direction. At the end of the day this pressure matters, and it will ultimately cost Crean his job regardless of how Glass feels.
I don't believe he's getting anywhere close to the pressure you believe he is.

The disgust and frustration phase precedes the apathy phase. But you'll get there soon enough.
I've sure had enough. I'm still watching, but it's not something I'm invested in any longer. Hell, there's no longer any IU bball talk after a game the following day at work, which once dominated the conversations around the coffee maker.

I even caught myself unintentionally rooting for PSU the other night, like you root for the underdog when you don't really care who wins one way or the other.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Let's face it, FG was hired to leverage his many relationships for fund-raising purposes. Period. The guy is connected -- especially in Central Indiana. And he's not disappointed with his fund-raising at all. McRobbie must be pleased with his job performance in that realm.

Now, with that being said, with money pouring in from the Big Ten network and IU being the named state university, fund-raising should be no problem for a competent AD. Giving FG enormous kudos for recent athletic dept building projects is similar to giving CTC huge credit for his first three years at IU -- all of the pieces were in place that any number of individuals would be able to achieve the same level of success.

The public face of an AD at a large university is the performance of the flagship athletic program. At Alabama, the football program better achieve success; otherwise, the AD will be on the hot seat regardless of other job achievements. Does anybody know if Alabama has a great wrestling program? How about swim team? Soccer team? Bowling team? You get my point.

The same should be true at IU regarding men's basketball. I think it's great that other sports are successful (although I DO question how he handled the football situation and former women's basketball coach, but that's a different discussion entirely). For posters to claim that FG's other "successes" outweigh his failures regarding the basketball program is odd. Again, basketball is the flagship ATHLETIC program and he's the ATHLETIC director. How long do you think the AD would last at Duke or NC or Kentucky, if they achieved the same level of inconsistent success and relative failure in the NCAA tournament and kept the same coach. In fact, he not only kept the same coach, but had signed the coach to an outrageous extension that was so one-sided and in favor of the coach. That extension removed any flexibility on the part of the university to require greater success from the coach in the near -- they simply couldn't fire him for financial purposes. A very poor business decision, to say the least.

At Alabama, USC, Ohio State, Duke, etc... athletic programs not only add greatly to the school's revenue, but also greatly impact branding, they add to the number of students who apply to the school and can greatly raise academic standards. Heck, just look at what Butler's recent national basketball success has done for its academics. They are able to be a much more selective university and receive far more applications after their elevation to the national basketball stage. The bottom line is that from a business perspective, having an elite athletic program is good for the business of recruiting elite students.

FG has no excuse for continuing to have an inconsistent and underachieving basketball program. Like so many others, I fail to understand why FG has seemingly hitched his proverbial wagon to CTC.

Let's face it, FG was hired to leverage his many relationships for fund-raising purposes. Period. The guy is connected -- especially in Central Indiana. And he's not disappointed with his fund-raising at all. McRobbie must be pleased with his job performance in that realm.

Now, with that being said, with money pouring in from the Big Ten network and IU being the named state university, fund-raising should be no problem for a competent AD. Giving FG enormous kudos for recent athletic dept building projects is similar to giving CTC huge credit for his first three years at IU -- all of the pieces were in place that any number of individuals would be able to achieve the same level of success.

The public face of an AD at a large university is the performance of the flagship athletic program. At Alabama, the football program better achieve success; otherwise, the AD will be on the hot seat regardless of other job achievements. Does anybody know if Alabama has a great wrestling program? How about swim team? Soccer team? Bowling team? You get my point.

The same should be true at IU regarding men's basketball. I think it's great that other sports are successful (although I DO question how he handled the football situation and former women's basketball coach, but that's a different discussion entirely). For posters to claim that FG's other "successes" outweigh his failures regarding the basketball program is odd. Again, basketball is the flagship ATHLETIC program and he's the ATHLETIC director. How long do you think the AD would last at Duke or NC or Kentucky, if they achieved the same level of inconsistent success and relative failure in the NCAA tournament and kept the same coach. In fact, he not only kept the same coach, but had signed the coach to an outrageous extension that was so one-sided and in favor of the coach. That extension removed any flexibility on the part of the university to require greater success from the coach in the near -- they simply couldn't fire him for financial purposes. A very poor business decision, to say the least.

At Alabama, USC, Ohio State, Duke, etc... athletic programs not only add greatly to the school's revenue, but also greatly impact branding, they add to the number of students who apply to the school and can greatly raise academic standards. Heck, just look at what Butler's recent national basketball success has done for its academics. They are able to be a much more selective university and receive far more applications after their elevation to the national basketball stage. The bottom line is that from a business perspective, having an elite athletic program is good for the business of recruiting elite students.

FG has no excuse for continuing to have an inconsistent and underachieving basketball program. Like so many others, I fail to understand why FG has seemingly hitched his proverbial wagon to CTC.

Some fair points in here including your conclusion statement. FG was bought here for far more than fundraising however and he has delivered in many areas...but the basketball aspect is not a win.

While there is a lot of truth to what you are saying, I think Crean survived this long because IMO Glass got caught up in all the "We're Back" crap and totally botched the extension. It was one sided favoring Crean and Glass kinda "hitched himself" to Crean without knowing it. Remember when the buy out was 10 million dollars? lol

I think Glass was ready to make a move last year but you can't fire a coach that won the B10 and just went to the Sweet 16.......but he also didn't make the same mistake by extending Crean again. People forget this....Glass could have very easily extended Crean last year and most fans would have been happy with it. IU just won the B10, beat UK to get into the Sweet 16, and Crean was named COY. But he didn't extend him....and I think that speaks volumes.

I think you are right, he was brought into raise money and he had no idea what he was doing with the extension. But, hopefully he learned a lesson.

I have faith he will do the right thing at the end of the year, and if he doesn't.....Glass needs to go to.

Reactions: HoosierAlice
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT