ADVERTISEMENT

Given what I suspect is an ugly avg age maybe the board could use a wellness check thread

It should. The Hall of Justice was designed based on Union Terminal. Almost an exact copy, in fact.

It is a very cool building inside. You can still see the general layout of when it was a train terminal. It's now a museum center, housing the Cincinnati Children's Museum, the Cincinnati History Museum, the Museum of Natural History and Science, the Holocaust and Humanity Center (which is tremendous), an OMNIMAX theater, etc.

72493929007-art-deco.jpeg

Things_to_Do_Arts_Culture_Museums_d1994c45-f09c-41d2-979b-7fa5ab791893.jpg

Exactly. I thought it was interesting to see where they actually lived - just log cabins, close by the 'Big House'.

What I found moving was, from the back porch of the main house, where certain slaves could enter, there was an indentation on the floor where they waited for their morning instructions, just outside the kitchen and dining areas. That really got me.

The main house itself was big for the time, but the rooms were small and the children shared bedrooms. Was about the same size as a 2 story 4 BR house today.

DANC, Heck, those slaves might have it better than my Irish immigrant great grandfather Edward who was a stable boy for a rich Irish family.

Edward escaped the stable when eloping with the owner's daughter. His freedom was short lived as over the following years he became co-responsible in raising his ten children.

There had to be times when Edward yearned for the simple life of being a stable boy as compared to being a responsible parent for ten kids.

He must have been a good father as my grandfather ended up being a plant manager along with being elected as the City Clerk.
Then they would have been employees, not slaves.

Good point. Uncle.

However, suspect a good many employees today think they are slaves as they go from paycheck to paycheck providing only the fundamentals for themselves and family (food, shelter, and clothing) which the slave owners also provided.

The big difference being freedom. Freedom to hopefully find a better way.

DANC, Heck, those slaves might have it better than my Irish immigrant great grandfather Edward who was a stable boy for a rich Irish family.

Edward escaped the stable when eloping with the owner's daughter. His freedom was short lived as over the following years he became co-responsible in raising his ten children.

There had to be times when Edward yearned for the simple life of being a stable boy as compared to being a responsible parent for ten kids.

He must have been a good father as my grandfather ended up being a plant manager along with being elected as the City Clerk.

Good point. Uncle.

However, suspect a good many employees today think they are slaves as they go from paycheck to paycheck providing only the fundamentals for themselves and family (food, shelter, and clothing) which the slave owners also provided.

The big difference being freedom. Freedom to hopefully find a better way.
Hoot1, that's cool you know the story of your great grandfather, but there is no comparison between a slave in the US and a poor Irish stable boy in the 18th or 19th centuries.

Your great grandfather couldn't be sold on a whim or have his children sold or his wife sold off to another plantation or owner, to be raped at will by the new owner, and never seen again. Think of the terror of that--even if it didn't happen, you live with the fear of it.

Reactions: DANC and UncleMark
Hoot1, that's cool you know the story of your great grandfather, but there is no comparison between a slave in the US and a poor Irish stable boy in the 18th or 19th centuries.

Hoot is showing his age and education. I too was taught that many slaves were treated better than the indentured servants or free blacks in the North. Therefore, the South wasn't as bad as it was made out to be by the "Radical Republicans" and abolitionists.

Hoot is showing his age and education. I too was taught that many slaves were treated better than the indentured servants or free blacks in the North. Therefore, the South wasn't as bad as it was made out to be by the "Radical Republicans" and abolitionists.
many were looking for an adventure....

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
@larsIU my buddy just called me. Said he was driving back from Carmel Indiana. I said what!! Was there for softball. He said he was driving through one part that looked like a campus but was apartments and shit.

I told him one day I’ll get there. You can bank on that
You can stop on your way to Auburn

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66

Your great grandfather couldn't be sold on a whim or have his children sold or his wife sold off to another plantation or owner, to be raped at will by the new owner, and never seen again. Think of the terror of that--even if it didn't happen, you live with the fear of it.
Brad. this great grandfather story was posted by mistake. My original intent was to delete it, as the story didn't really fit the topic and was self serving. Typed it while waiting for another project, mostly to fill in time.

Reactions: BradStevens
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT