ADVERTISEMENT

Getting serious about Islamist terrorism

Claiming the mantle of "critical thinking" in a post like this is liable to create a wormhole that eats the entire universe. Tread carefully.
The whole thing is absurd. He claims to be a "critical thinker" on a subject he knows nothing about -- which itself explodes his claim. He imagines that he can reason from the first principles of his blinkered experience to describe the views of people whose experiences don't remotely resemble his own. And he persists in the face of evidence that proves him wrong. This makes him a blinkered idiot of the Dunning-Kruger variety -- he's so incompetent he can't comprehend his own incompetence.

So much for critical thinking.

The whole thing is absurd. He claims to be a "critical thinker" on a subject he knows nothing about -- which itself explodes his claim. He imagines that he can reason from the first principles of his blinkered experience to describe the views of people whose experiences don't remotely resemble his own. And he persists in the face of evidence that proves him wrong. This makes him a blinkered idiot of the Dunning-Kruger variety -- he's so incompetent he can't comprehend his own incompetence.

So much for critical thinking.

Nope

I view that article as kind of an expert report. Such reports often reveal weaknesses on their face. In this link, the weakness is easily found with this:

"Many Muslims living in the West have expressed their exasperation with the constant pressure to describe themselves as “moderates.” This view is frequently echoed during my travels in the Middle East and South Asia. As one Syrian activist said to me: “Why do you insist on us saying that we are ‘moderates?’ I am a Muslim, this is Islam. That’s it. Or do you want us to lose credibility in our audience’s eyes? When you insist I say ‘moderate,’ that’s for you. To my audience, that means ‘not Islam.’ ” Using “moderate” Muslims as the champions of government schemes or demanding that Muslims identify themselves as “moderates” risks inadvertently delegitimizing those voices in their communities, especially among those most vulnerable to propaganda’s siren call."
First of all, as you know, use of the word "many" means exactly zilch in terms of determining numbers or quantities. Second, he admits to singling out an "activist" as quoting for his empirical data. That shows a point of view that is inconsistent with a random sample, even for empirical data. Third, imputing any reasonableness to the ISIS propaganda effort is nuts, in my view. Propaganda by its nature is not to be considered a reasonable approximation of anything. So, yeah, my questions center around these points. And, as I mentioned several times, the author is spot on with his in-group and out-group analysis. I think he intends present one view of how ISIS exploits the difference. You are taking that to the level of excluding all other views, which is consistent with your preconceptions.

On the other hand, if you don't know how to read and approach an expert report you have no clue of what I am talking about and you can only yammer about blinkered idiots and Dunning-Kruger.

Nope

I view that article as kind of an expert report. Such reports often reveal weaknesses on their face. In this link, the weakness is easily found with this:

"Many Muslims living in the West have expressed their exasperation with the constant pressure to describe themselves as “moderates.” This view is frequently echoed during my travels in the Middle East and South Asia. As one Syrian activist said to me: “Why do you insist on us saying that we are ‘moderates?’ I am a Muslim, this is Islam. That’s it. Or do you want us to lose credibility in our audience’s eyes? When you insist I say ‘moderate,’ that’s for you. To my audience, that means ‘not Islam.’ ” Using “moderate” Muslims as the champions of government schemes or demanding that Muslims identify themselves as “moderates” risks inadvertently delegitimizing those voices in their communities, especially among those most vulnerable to propaganda’s siren call."
First of all, as you know, use of the word "many" means exactly zilch in terms of determining numbers or quantities. Second, he admits to singling out an "activist" as quoting for his empirical data. That shows a point of view that is inconsistent with a random sample, even for empirical data. Third, imputing any reasonableness to the ISIS propaganda effort is nuts, in my view. Propaganda by its nature is not to be considered a reasonable approximation of anything. So, yeah, my questions center around these points. And, as I mentioned several times, the author is spot on with his in-group and out-group analysis. I think he intends present one view of how ISIS exploits the difference. You are taking that to the level of excluding all other views, which is consistent with your preconceptions.

On the other hand, if you don't know how to read and approach an expert report you have no clue of what I am talking about and you can only yammer about blinkered idiots and Dunning-Kruger.
LOL. The next time you give three shits about empirical data will be the first.

LOL. The next time you give three shits about empirical data will be the first.

Nice post goat

I guess the take away from you and rock is don't disagree with anything we say or any link we post. The opinion in that link rock thinks is a big deal is really poorly supported. If you can't see that you need to work on your critical thinking skills.

Nice post goat

I guess the take away from you and rock is don't disagree with anything we say or any link we post. The opinion in that link rock thinks is a big deal is really poorly supported. If you can't see that you need to work on your critical thinking skills.
Nope. You're just plain full of shit. You don't know what critical thinking even means, as evidenced by the fact that you honestly think you're actually doing it. You also don't understand what empirical evidence is, or the difference between quantitative and qualitative analysis. All you understand is that some statements agree with your preconceived ideas, and some don't. That's all that matters to you. As a thinker, you're a joke of the highest order, and every post you make just makes that even clearer.

For the record, I'm not debating you anymore. I'm just laughing at you. Mature? Not at all. But it's better than you deserve.

Nope. You're just plain full of shit. You don't know what critical thinking even means, as evidenced by the fact that you honestly think you're actually doing it. You also don't understand what empirical evidence is, or the difference between quantitative and qualitative analysis. All you understand is that some statements agree with your preconceived ideas, and some don't. That's all that matters to you. As a thinker, you're a joke of the highest order, and every post you make just makes that even clearer.

For the record, I'm not debating you anymore. I'm just laughing at you. Mature? Not at all. But it's better than you deserve.

If you think you can throw around a bunch of jargon

and believe you said anything important shows how shallow you really are. Maybe you'd like to tell me how the term "many Muslims" means anything significant in the context of supporting the author's opinion about the effectiveness of ISIS propaganda, or supports Rocks interpretation of what Muslims believe.

I think you'd rather engage rants and call me a joke because you know I'm right about what a nothingberger the word "many" is in terms of how the author used it. I live rent free in your head.

If you think you can throw around a bunch of jargon

and believe you said anything important shows how shallow you really are. Maybe you'd like to tell me how the term "many Muslims" means anything significant in the context of supporting the author's opinion about the effectiveness of ISIS propaganda, or supports Rocks interpretation of what Muslims believe.

I think you'd rather engage rants and call me a joke because you know I'm right about what a nothingberger the word "many" is in terms of how the author used it. I live rent free in your head.
Think what you want. You're wrong. You're a joke, but when I'm not reading your posts, you occupy exactly 0% of my thoughts.

Sorry to disappoint you. I know from recent history how important it is to you that I care about what you think. But I don't. You have never been in my head, and never will be.

That's an interesting comment

You have me at a disadvantage; I have no clue what you are talking about. Care to explain?
Your obsessive and kind of creepy need to believe that you "live rent free in my head."

It's become kind of a catch phrase for you. If I thought you knew my physical address, I might honestly be worried about it.

Nice post goat

The problem isn't that you disagree. The problem is that you imagine you can rebut well-informed expert analysis with ignorant preconceptions.

Your obsessive and kind of creepy need to believe that you "live rent free in my head."

It's become kind of a catch phrase for you. If I thought you knew my physical address, I might honestly be worried about it.

Who lives rent free in your head is 100% up to you.

It has zero to do with me or anyone else.

A freebie for you:

The problem isn't that you disagree. The problem is that you imagine you can rebut well-informed expert analysis with ignorant preconceptions.

Oh my

I don't criticize his piece because I disagree with it. As I said eleventy times now, I absolutely agree with his framing of the issue. I think his conclusions are weak for the reasons I said before. I understand that "many" means nothing in the way he used it. It certainly doesn't mean "most," but I think that is the way you read it as you purported to say what Muslims believe. He gives us some anecdotes. The plural of anecdote is not data.

Oh my

I don't criticize his piece because I disagree with it. As I said eleventy times now, I absolutely agree with his framing of the issue. I think his conclusions are weak for the reasons I said before. I understand that "many" means nothing in the way he used it. It certainly doesn't mean "most," but I think that is the way you read it as you purported to say what Muslims believe. He gives us some anecdotes. The plural of anecdote is not data.
The piece I linked is merely a summary of the extensive research that Ingram has published in scholarly journals, where he mostly writes. For example:
Your confidence that you can dismiss Ingram's conclusions because the word "many" appears in a summary of his research illustrates your Dunning-Kruger incompetence -- as does your confidence that your ignorant preconceptions could form the basis for an informed discussion.

Nope

Your three points are laughably easy to rebut. More laughable is that you impute on his paragraph your incorrect understanding of the intent of his communication. You're applying your critical thinking skills to your misconstrual as oranges what someone is describing as apples.

Shorter: Your Bugaboo #1 "many" is totally irrelevant to his central point in that paragraph. If and when you come to understand that, you'll enjoy with us our laugh at you.

#IdeologyIsThePoorMan'sKnowledge

Last edited:
The piece I linked is merely a summary of the extensive research that Ingram has published in scholarly journals, where he mostly writes. For example:
Your confidence that you can dismiss Ingram's conclusions because the word "many" appears in a summary of his research illustrates your Dunning-Kruger incompetence -- as does your confidence that your ignorant preconceptions could form the basis for an informed discussion.

Um . . . .

I didn't "dismiss" Ingram's conclusions. I said they were weakly supported. The word "many" doesn't just "appear" in a "summary". Ingram wrote the piece you linked, did not say it was a summary of anything, and in that piece stated an opinion about how ISIS is using propaganda for recruitment. You took it beyond that simple point with your nonsense about what Muslims believe.

Um . . . .

I didn't "dismiss" Ingram's conclusions. I said they were weakly supported. The word "many" doesn't just "appear" in a "summary". Ingram wrote the piece you linked, did not say it was a summary of anything, and in that piece stated an opinion about how ISIS is using propaganda for recruitment. You took it beyond that simple point with your nonsense about what Muslims believe.
So you didn't even read Ingram's summary of his research. You read only my excerpt from Ingram's summary of his research. Based entirely on my excerpt from his summary you imagine that you are competent to assess the quality of scholarly research in an area you know nothing about. This is classic Dunning-Kruger.

Also, if you'd read the summary, you'd have seen this:

I analyzed the contents of AQAP’s Inspire and the Islamic State’s Dabiq English-language magazines to understand how each seeks to appeal to and radicalize its readers. Published in the Australian Journal of Political Science and Studies in Conflict and Terrorism, this research provides insight into not just the strategic logic of AQAP’s and the Islamic State’s propaganda strategies targeting the West but also what drives people to support them.
The summary explicitly states that the actual research is published elsewhere -- in scholarly journals, and not in WaPo's political science blog. You're the one posting nonsense.

http://www.defenseone.com/threats/2...heres-what-they-say-when-you-ask-them/124295/

This is based on interviews of the "actual ISIS people". Globally this anti-western narrative is not the main draw to ISIS. Though in the western states it is one of the leading causes. We haven't seen a huge # of Americans travel to Syria however. FWIW, it's quite obvious that Muslims in the United States feel far less ostracized compared to those in Europe. Sane people also have the wherewithal to recognize what Trump is.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
http://www.defenseone.com/threats/2...heres-what-they-say-when-you-ask-them/124295/

This is based on interviews of the "actual ISIS people". Globally this anti-western narrative is not the main draw to ISIS. Though in the western states it is one of the leading causes. We haven't seen a huge # of Americans travel to Syria however. FWIW, it's quite obvious that Muslims in the United States feel far less ostracized compared to those in Europe. Sane people also have the wherewithal to recognize what Trump is.
That's a helpful piece, particularly in its focus on actual people's real motivations and the differences between those living in the Middle East and those living in the West. The piece I linked focused on ISIS and al Qaeda propaganda aimed at those living in the West.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT