ADVERTISEMENT

Geronimo to Maryland.

I for one hope the fans show that kid love next year...

Additionally, and I don't know the Maryland roster well, but I don't feel like this is a move for loads of minutes and a prominent role in an offense. So a bit surprising. Anyone with Maryland bball knowledge...I'd appreciate some perspective.

I really hate transfers within conference. I know we got Kopp that way but overall not a fan of it.
The B1G used to have a rule where you couldn't transfer within conference directly. Luke Recker left IU and went to Arizona and then transferred to Iowa. I am with you. Conferences should not allow players to transfer like that within the conference.

The B1G used to have a rule where you couldn't transfer within conference directly.
Incorrect, at least in the B1G back in the day. In-conference transfers had to sit out a year ... AND lost a year of eligibility.

I really hate transfers within conference. I know we got Kopp that way but overall not a fan of it.
I'll bet that comes back and bites us in the ass. I think He would have started and contributed if he had stayed! He played well the 3 games Thompson was out and when Thompson came back He went back to the bench and it looked like He just lost interest from there on!

I'll bet that comes back and bites us in the ass. I think He would have started and contributed if he had stayed! He played well the 3 games Thompson was out and when Thompson came back He went back to the bench and it looked like He just lost interest from there on!
He would not have started over malik and ware. Not sure he would get in before sparks and he cannot play the three.

Incorrect, at least in the B1G back in the day. In-conference transfers had to sit out a year ... AND lost a year of eligibility.
Everyone did. That’s an ncaa rule. Still is after the first freebie. Universities could block a transfer but that very rarely happened. Recker transferred to Iowa because of that nasty accident that paralyzed his girlfriend. He wanted a waiver to play in the fall instead of wait until January. I believe he got it. Funderburke got blocked from attending UK by IU and Knight. So both of you are incorrect.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
are you implying he was pushed out?
I was not implying that. Hope no one else took it that way.
My guess as to why he left was the standard playing time issue. He talked with Woodson, looked at the roster, and decided to try elsewhere.
More NiL money is now a factor in some transfers. I have no idea if it was for Jordan.

I was not implying that. Hope no one else took it that way.
My guess as to why he left was the standard playing time issue. He talked with Woodson, looked at the roster, and decided to try elsewhere.
More NiL money is now a factor in some transfers. I have no idea if it was for Jordan.
Yep, Woodson had an honest conversation with him about his prospects here and he made his decision. You could say pushed out but I am guessing it wasn't in those terms. Woodson is known as a no-BS coach though so he probably didn't sugar coat it.

I thought the rule was in conference transfers could not be on scholarship. I certainly could be wrong, but I thought that was the case with Jeff George.
My mind is a bit fuzzy, but I know in the B1G there was an extra penalty (lose a year) for in-conference transfers. I think players had to actually sit out two consecutive seasons: one for the transfer, and another for transferring within conference (which counted against eligibility). I don't actually recall anyone doing so because the "penalty" was so severe.

Reactions: Qpappy
My mind is a bit fuzzy, but I know in the B1G there was an extra penalty (lose a year) for in-conference transfers. I think players had to actually sit out two consecutive seasons: one for the transfer, and another for transferring within conference (which counted against eligibility). I don't actually recall anyone doing so because the "penalty" was so severe.
There were 2 yrs involved somehow. Not sure if just sit out 2 yrs or sit one and lose an extra yr. Conference was 10 teams then not half the country though too.

There were 2 yrs involved somehow. Not sure if just sit out 2 yrs or sit one and lose an extra yr. Conference was 10 teams then not half the country though too.
It was in the 70s. You got charged the year you sat if you went to another B1G school. That ended in the late 70s early 80s. Most conferences did this. It was over and above the ncaa rule.

Everyone did. That’s an ncaa rule. Still is after the first freebie. Universities could block a transfer but that very rarely happened. Recker transferred to Iowa because of that nasty accident that paralyzed his girlfriend. He wanted a waiver to play in the fall instead of wait until January. I believe he got it. Funderburke got blocked from attending UK by IU and Knight. So both of you are incorrect.
Didn't Recker transfer to Arizona, then Iowa?

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Didn't Recker transfer to Arizona, then Iowa?
Yes but it wasn’t because he was blocked from transferring to the B1G. He would’ve thrived in an Olsen led offense. He used wings a lot. He had to switch gears after that bad accident. I believe he had family in Iowa. That made sense at the time.

Happens all the time in every sport - playing for a new team with a new coach CAN completely re-invigorate an athlete. Just because Jordan was underwhelming at IU doesn't mean he won't excel elsewhere.
You are correct in saying "just because Jordan was underwhelming at IU doesn't mean he won't excel elsewhere." I have already stated that he can excel elsewhere provided he fills a very specific role. He should focus on defense, rebounding, making all the hustle plays, making the extra pass, etc. If he attempts to be more than that, being a scorer on offense, dribbling through traffic, making plays off the bounce, shooting contested shots, he's unlikely to be a positive impact player.

He simply doesn't have the skillset or instincts to be anything more than a good role player. He doesn't have the greatest hands. And I don't think he's the athlete so many here do. Sure, he can run and jump. He has good strength as well. However, his lateral quickness, fluidity, etc. are not great.

I just can't see him being anything more than a good role player (if he's willing), which isn't bad. He certainly won't, all of the sudden, be some big scorer.

I'm just thankful that Michigan essentially gave up on Max Bielfelt that's creating the opportunity for him to transfer to Indiana and become the Big 10 sixth Man award winner in 2016 and Indiana to become conference champs. The only downside was that it probably kept Tom Crean around longer.

He would’ve thrived in an Olsen led offense
You don't think Gilbert Arenas, Jason Gardner and Richard Jefferson already being on the roster had ANYTHING to do with wanting out of AZ? Those were some very good AZ teams.

Wonder how it would have worked out if Recker stayed at IU. I thought he had issues with some of the other players, not just Knight, but I don't know that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT