ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia v Florida State

Portal cant open next week since classes start next week. At the end of the day, 99%+ of CFB players are still students, not NFL players is waiting.

But I agree, the transfer portal has ruined college sports and it will only get worse with the recent ruling allowing unlimited transfers with immediate eligibility.
To me, the answer is so simple - I'm probably missing something.

Make every football college football player be eligible only if they sign a contract. That contract would set up payments, buyouts if they transfer, insurance, penalties for 'opting out' of bowl games or meaningless games if healthy, etc. It would probably mean direct payments from the school to the players, but we have that now, essentially. And there would be salary caps, just like in the NFL.

College football and basketball are now professional, so treat them as professionals. Keep scholarships - that is like a UBI for every player.

The pretense of amateur sports is already destroyed - play in the real world with real world rules.

i remember my dad telling me he joined the wrestling team back in the 50's just so he could get a free meal or two every week

times have changed
I’ll add guys worked shit jobs around campus to offset the scholarship shortage. Laundromat etc. however Soccer doesn’t make money for schools. So…..

Right now, if a kid wants to play pro football or pro basketball, the entry goes through college. Hockey and baseball aren’t like that. Basketball and football should be like hockey and baseball.

Basketball has now created a new developmental team (called the Ignite) loosely associated with the G League that plays exhibition games against G league teams and international teams for top ranked kids that don't want to go the college route.

In their three years, they have had four lottery picks, five first rounders overall and 10 players get drafted in all.

Did we see the end of college football yesterday?

Money, NIL, money, transfer portals, money, opt-out, money, lack of academics, money, meaningless bowl games, money expanded playoffs, money, all have changed college football for the worse. The demographics of the student population as well as the wacko college administrations don’t make for a promising future either.

Should congress give college and pro-football all the necessary legal exemptions so we can bring some sanity to college sports? Is saving big time college sports from what we saw yesterday worth the trouble?
It’s worth the trouble. But they do have fix it.

I'm old enough to remember when there were only four bowl games that mattered, all on New Years Day -- Rose, Cotton, Sugar, and Orange. From the eight teams that played, the "mythical" national champion was determined by a final vote of sportswriters. All the other bowls (and there weren't that many) were fun for the participating schools, but there was no shame for most schools not bowling if they had a respectable 7-8-9 win season. Television and the money it offered/generated changed all that.

Make every football college football player be eligible only if they sign a contract. That contract would set up payments, buyouts if they transfer, insurance, penalties for 'opting out' of bowl games or meaningless games if healthy, etc. It would probably mean direct payments from the school to the players, but we have that now, essentially. And there would be salary caps, just like in the NFL.

College football and basketball are now professional, so treat them as professionals. Keep scholarships - that is like a UBI for every player.

The pretense of amateur sports is already destroyed - play in the real world with real world rules.
I assume that's where it's headed. I'd bet there's a CBA in place within 10 years.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
Yeah just skip the pretense for those ready to go
NBA and NFL players unions don't want that and until they agree to drop that from their respective CBAs, it won't. Now you have direct to G-League and options like Overtime Elite that will let kids ride it out until eligible. I don't know if that's ever going to be an option for football.

When’s the next fencing match/game/meet?
You don't think basketball games before the big contracts? There was nothing wrong with the old days and market based TV like Channel 4. Teach all you apostates a lesson for moving to godforsaken places like Georgia.

You don't think basketball games before the big contracts? There was nothing wrong with the old days and market based TV like Channel 4. Teach all you apostates a lesson for moving to godforsaken places like Georgia.
Channel 4 was the best. Big thing of Jiffy Pop popcorn and plop down on the floor to watch the game. Good times. Chuck Marlow was, and always will be, The Man.

My snark on fencing is that we’re headed towards what has been mentioned here and elsewhere - a superconference that really has next to no relationship to the school name on the uniforms. Paid players; non-students; constant player movement; hell, maybe player trades mid-season. Count. Me. The. Fvck. Out.

So, we “move down” to the next tier and start rooting for the Hoosier Men’s Fencing Team. POTFB.

It’s a quaint notion - the Big Ten should have never expanded. We knew all the other schools. You were able to follow a guy’s progress over four years.

DANC I’ll be home with my grandson tonight ❤️ while the newlyweds hit the town.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark and DANC
Just keep him away from the champagne.

I'll be with my grandson and granddaughter tonight while their parents have a wild game of Yahtzee or whatever. My daughter is pregnant, so she can't drink. lol
Congratulations!!!

Reactions: DANC
Congratulations!!!
Thanks! I think this one was a surprise, but it will be fun. My grandson needs to learn he's not the only fish in the sea. He's a great kid, with a fun personality, but he's weaponized his cuteness. Will be interesting to see what the new baby will be, since they're not finding out the sex.

How long do you think your newlyweds will take to have another one?

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Thanks! I think this one was a surprise, but it will be fun. My grandson needs to learn he's not the only fish in the sea. He's a great kid, with a fun personality, but he's weaponized his cuteness. Will be interesting to see what the new baby will be, since they're not finding out the sex.

She’s four months pregnant. I hate them

• Wow
Reactions: larsIU
She’s four months pregnant. I hate them
Ah, I guess I missed that announcement. I know we all speculated.

You know what's next, right? You'll be babysitting your 'grandson' and his sibling......

Ah, I guess I missed that announcement. I know we all speculated.

You know what's next, right? You'll be babysitting your 'grandson' and his sibling......
Hahaha F off. Not a chance in hell. Yep in one year she got engaged, preggers, and married

• Haha
Feminization of student bodies and administrations. The big athletic boosters are mostly male. They won’t live forever.
Remind me of the name of the place we play basketball? ( This has been true in the past for a variety of reasons. It’s changing. )

That can change with appropriate legislative exemptions.

I don’t like NIL. I think it stinks. But at this time there is no choice.
Were you not the one that just in the last week said congress should only pass a budget than go home?

I have no problem with legislation, but it seems out of character for the person who said the comment above.

Grandkids are a great invention. We took ours to the women's game just before Christmas. She is just 1, but she behaved and it really was great. We sat next to the band, she thought the drums were the greatest things ever. I hope she becomes a drummer, I am sure my daughter would love that :). My son-in-law is very easy-going, he won't care. That is my uptight daughter, she deserves it.

Afraid the transfer portal will kill football at my old school.

At the University of Wisconsin some 65 years ago we lost our top prospect after only one semester. The challenges of the cold winter in Madison and problems academically saw him high tailing it to the University of Miami.

These days suspect the academic challenge has been resolved, but most footballers would prefer relaxing at the Biscayne Bay Beach rather than ice fishing on Lake Mendota.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
Were you not the one that just in the last week said congress should only pass a budget than go home?

I have no problem with legislation, but it seems out of character for the person who said the comment above.

Grandkids are a great invention. We took ours to the women's game just before Christmas. She is just 1, but she behaved and it really was great. We sat next to the band, she thought the drums were the greatest things ever. I hope she becomes a drummer, I am sure my daughter would love that :). My son-in-law is very easy-going, he won't care. That is my uptight daughter, she deserves it.
My son has been to about half a dozen mls games. He loves it for the beginning, then getting treats, then antsy. He can make it a little more than half.

Channel 4 was the best. Big thing of Jiffy Pop popcorn and plop down on the floor to watch the game. Good times. Chuck Marlow was, and always will be, The Man.

My snark on fencing is that we’re headed towards what has been mentioned here and elsewhere - a superconference that really has next to no relationship to the school name on the uniforms. Paid players; non-students; constant player movement; hell, maybe player trades mid-season. Count. Me. The. Fvck. Out.

So, we “move down” to the next tier and start rooting for the Hoosier Men’s Fencing Team. POTFB.

It’s a quaint notion - the Big Ten should have never expanded. We knew all the other schools. You were able to follow a guy’s progress over four years.
I think we all cringe watched every Sunday morning after a loss, waiting to see what would happen to poor Chuck. He tried so hard to placate Bobby. Which was generally an impossible task.

I'm trying to indoctrinate my grandkids to IU, but it's hard down here. They do know the IU fight song and watch IU ball, so I think it's a good start. They've been to Assembly Hall for some games and enjoy it, but conk out after halftime, once the high from the snacks wears off.

When my grandson is potty trained, I'll be bringing him up for football games and tailgating.
I'm also hoping my granddaughter gets into some musical instrument soon - something loud.

I'm trying to indoctrinate my grandkids to IU, but it's hard down here. They do know the IU fight song and watch IU ball, so I think it's a good start. They've been to Assembly Hall for some games and enjoy it, but conk out after halftime, once the high from the snacks wears off.

When my grandson is potty trained, I'll be bringing him up for football games and tailgating.
I'm also hoping my granddaughter gets into some musical instrument soon - something loud.
My son-in-law's family are PU people. So I have to work hard. Fortunately he really doesn't care and my daughter does.

• Wow
Reactions: mcmurtry66 and DANC
Afraid the transfer portal will kill football at my old school.

At the University of Wisconsin some 65 years ago we lost our top prospect after only one semester. The challenges of the cold winter in Madison and problems academically saw him high tailing it to the University of Miami.

These days suspect the academic challenge has been resolved, but most footballers would prefer relaxing at the Biscayne Bay Beach rather than ice fishing on Lake Mendota.
Definitely re weather hoot but Madison is a great town. Great school. Lots of people don’t mind the cold. My daughter for one. Personally I hate it

Reactions: hoot1
That can change with appropriate legislative exemptions.

I don’t like NIL. I think it stinks. But at this time there is no choice.

Reactions: twenty02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT