ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia v Florida State

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
Did we see the end of college football yesterday?

Money, NIL, money, transfer portals, money, opt-out, money, lack of academics, money, meaningless bowl games, money expanded playoffs, money, all have changed college football for the worse. The demographics of the student population as well as the wacko college administrations don’t make for a promising future either.

Should congress give college and pro-football all the necessary legal exemptions so we can bring some sanity to college sports? Is saving big time college sports from what we saw yesterday worth the trouble?

Considering the S.C. has already ruled on NIL and their decision was unanimous, I don't think we're ever going back to what it was.

The NCAA could have gotten out in front of this whole thing a long time ago and decided to continue to act like there wasn't a problem. This is largely on them.

Money, NIL, money, transfer portals, money, opt-out, money, lack of academics, money, meaningless bowl games, money expanded playoffs, money, all have changed college football for the worse. The demographics of the student population as well as the wacko college administrations don’t make for a promising future either.

Should congress give college and pro-football all the necessary legal exemptions so we can bring some sanity to college sports? Is saving big time college sports from what we saw yesterday worth the trouble?
Mizzou Ohio State was awful too. Don’t go and dont watch it. Ruined cfb. And why doesn’t the portal open after bowls

College football sucks for sure but is our entertainment more important than free market ideals?

Considering the S.C. has already ruled on NIL and their decision was unanimous, I don't think we're ever going back to what it was.

The NCAA could have gotten out in front of this whole thing a long time ago and decided to continue to act like there wasn't a problem. This is largely on them.
It doesn’t matter where the blame lies. And I think legislation can address some NIL (and other issues) issues, but that will take exemptions to permit collusion among the schools. Is football worth it?

It doesn’t matter where the blame lies. And I think legislation can address some NIL (and other issues) issues, but that will take exemptions to permit collusion among the schools. Is football worth it?

Take away football and you take away the majority of revenue for any college out there today.

Football, and don't take this as gospel, makes up roughly 75% I would guess of the revenue followed by basketball (I'm not including TV money in this, which if you take away football, the TV money isn't close to what it is today). All other sports are loosers when it comes to bringing in money and wouldn't exist if it weren't for the football money being brought in.

Take away football and you take away the majority of revenue for any college out there today.

Football, and don't take this as gospel, makes up roughly 75% I would guess of the revenue followed by basketball (I'm not including TV money in this, which if you take away football, the TV money isn't close to what it is today). All other sports are loosers when it comes to bringing in money and wouldn't exist if it weren't for the football money being brought in.
At this point I’m pretty much done with cfb and bball. I haven’t watched an entire iu bball game in years. I couldn’t care less if they turned all D1 into club sports.

College Football hasn’t been in a better position in a long time. The bowls outside of the playoffs will be glorified scrimmages, but most of them have been awful for years. The playoffs will be a huge success and the regular season is going to be a lot better. The amount of premier games each week is going to double.

Go look at schedules next year. For example Michigan had two big games this year, Penn State and Ohio State. The other 10 were snoozers. Next year they play Ohio State, Texas, USC, Oregon, and Washington. It’s like that for all the teams in the Big Ten and SEC.

Last edited:
College Football hasn’t ever been in a better position. The bowls outside of the playoffs will be glorified scrimmages, but most of them have been awful for years. The playoffs will be a huge success and the regular season is going to be a lot better. The amount of premier games each week is going to double.

Go look at schedules next year. For example Michigan had two big games this year, Penn State and Ohio State. The other 10 were snoozers. Next year they play Ohio State, Texas, USC, Oregon, and Washington. It’s like that for all the teams in Big Ten and SEC.

19 million people watched Ohio State/Michigan this year. More people watched the Michigan/Notre Dame game then Michigan/Penn State game, and they both pulled over 9 million viewers.

College football has never been more popular.

Mizzou Ohio State was awful too. Don’t go and dont watch it. Ruined cfb. And why doesn’t the portal open after bowls
Portal cant open next week since classes start next week. At the end of the day, 99%+ of CFB players are still students, not NFL players is waiting.

But I agree, the transfer portal has ruined college sports and it will only get worse with the recent ruling allowing unlimited transfers with immediate eligibility.

Portal cant open next week since classes start next week. At the end of the day, 99%+ of CFB players are still students, not NFL players is waiting.

But I agree, the transfer portal has ruined college sports and it will only get worse with the recent ruling allowing unlimited transfers with immediate eligibility.

There's a visit window that opens on Wednesday for like a week.

Reactions: Spartans9312

19 million people watched Ohio State/Michigan this year. More people watched the Michigan/Notre Dame game then Michigan/Penn State game, and they both pulled over 9 million viewers.

College football has never been more popular.
I understand why people don’t like NIL and it takes away some of the nostalgia of the bowl games. However, viewership is only going to increase next year. There’s going to be more big games each week and the Playoffs are going be insane.

Good luck trying to get a ticket to the first round playoff games in home stadiums. And they’ll be on the weekend before Christmas.

NIL is fine, when we pay coaches $15 million not to coach it is absurd to think the kids should be happy with a scholarship. That isn't to say I have no issues with NIL. Pros have a draft, guaranteeing talent flow toward bad teams. Eventually, given decades, even Cleveland and Detroit can win. College has no such mechanism, there is no way to get teams like an Indiana to compete with the always sold out 100,000 seat stadium club.

Eventually (and soon) those teams, MI, OH, PSU, and the rest will stop sharing with the Indianas of the world. FSU is already starting that ball rolling. There will be a league of 20-30 schools. Everyone else will be minor leagues. Kids will come to IU play a year and get called up to OSU.

There isn't much we can do about it. I have no overriding "free market above all else" loyalty, but I know so many do that there is nothing to be done except realize when IU stops getting the big Big 10 money because the power schools are in their own football league, it will impact basketball and the other sports.

This only matters if you think sports are the mission of colleges. For the vast majority of schools, all the money earned on sports is spent exclusively on sports. They aren't building libraries with football money.

This only matters if you think sports are the mission of colleges. For the vast majority of schools, all the money earned on sports is spent exclusively on sports. They aren't building libraries with football money.

Sports, for many, are a avenue for an education that would A) not be available or B) put said player in debt for years apon years.

People think about sports as a gateway to play professional ball, but that's for less then like 2% of college athletes. The rest are there to get an education and better themselves in a way that makes it easier on them and their families.

And Big 10 TV money has absolutely gone to fund educational projects.

College Football hasn’t ever been in a better position. The bowls outside of the playoffs will be glorified scrimmages, but most of them have been awful for years. The playoffs will be a huge success and the regular season is going to be a lot better. The amount of premier games each week is going to double.

Go look at schedules next year. For example Michigan had two big games this year, Penn State and Ohio State. The other 10 were snoozers. Next year they play Ohio State, Texas, USC, Oregon, and Washington. It’s like that for all the teams in Big Ten and SEC.
NIL is fine, when we pay coaches $15 million not to coach it is absurd to think the kids should be happy with a scholarship. That isn't to say I have no issues with NIL. Pros have a draft, guaranteeing talent flow toward bad teams. Eventually, given decades, even Cleveland and Detroit can win. College has no such mechanism, there is no way to get teams like an Indiana to compete with the always sold out 100,000 seat stadium club.

Eventually (and soon) those teams, MI, OH, PSU, and the rest will stop sharing with the Indianas of the world. FSU is already starting that ball rolling. There will be a league of 20-30 schools. Everyone else will be minor leagues. Kids will come to IU play a year and get called up to OSU.

There isn't much we can do about it. I have no overriding "free market above all else" loyalty, but I know so many do that there is nothing to be done except realize when IU stops getting the big Big 10 money because the power schools are in their own football league, it will impact basketball and the other sports.
I think what Marv wrote is the future. The top of the sec big ten and a few others will create a super league

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Because sports don't align with the educational mission of universities. They probably never did.
Once again, I will plug the book "The Last Amateurs" by John Feinstein, based on his year following the basketball teams of the Patriot League in 1999-2000. Those teams, at least at that time, were far more aligned with what I considered the mission of college athletics. The players' experiences and campus life/conditions differed greatly from those who attended marquee programs in big money conferences.

Sports, for many, are a avenue for an education that would A) not be available or B) put said player in debt for years apon years.

People think about sports as a gateway to play professional ball, but that's for less then like 2% of college athletes. The rest are there to get an education and better themselves in a way that makes it easier on them and their families.

And Big 10 TV money has absolutely gone to fund educational projects.

Indiana was the exception to that, not the rule. McRobbie was criticized for using that money on something other than improving the athletic teams. Yes sports provides a benefit for some of the athletes but they are a fraction of a percent of the total student body.

About the only argument for sports helping academics is that athletics tends to be what keeps Alumni invested in the schools. You sometimes get donations to the academic side of the school along with the athletic donations. However, money made by the schools for sports is almost always invested right back into the sports. That is great for the athletes but the average student never sees the inside of these luxury facilities for athletes so if college sports went away tomorrow, the biggest impact to students would be finding some other form of entertainment on Saturdays in the fall or winter days for basketball. For the rest of the sports next to no one but the involved athletes on campus pays attention anyway.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Indiana was the exception to that, not the rule. McRobbie was criticized for using that money on something other than improving the athletic teams. Yes sports provides a benefit for some of the athletes but they are a fraction of a percent of the total student body.

About the only argument for sports helping academics is that athletics tends to be what keeps Alumni invested in the schools. You sometimes get donations to the academic side of the school along with the athletic donations. However, money made by the schools for sports is almost always invested right back into the sports. That is great for the athletes but the average student never sees the inside of these luxury facilities for athletes so if college sports went away tomorrow, the biggest impact to students would be finding some other form of entertainment on Saturdays in the fall or winter days for basketball. For the rest of the sports next to no one but the involved athletes on campus pays attention anyway.
How progressive of you.

;)

Reactions: UncleMark
How progressive of you.

;)

😜

I have loved college athletics for most of my life but at a certain point you kind of come to the conclusion that this is all out of whack.

What is in the best interests of the players is not what is in the best interests of everyone who supports the system that benefits the players. The GA/FSU game is an egregious example but that game was not worth the money paid to broadcast it. It wasn't worth the money spent to logistically get them on the field. NIL spent by fans on players who opted out, wasted. Money spent by fans on tickets and to travel to a game that one team in particular mailed in, a complete waste of time and money.

This is all haphazardly slapped together and it makes for a bad customer experience. Eventually the customers will find something else to do.

i remember my dad telling me he joined the wrestling team back in the 50's just so he could get a free meal or two every week

times have changed
I played and we got $5 for breakfast $15 for lunch and I think $20 for dinner on road trips. If they were ncaa tourney games I think dinner jumped to $35

Also 9.+ schollies for the entire team

Reactions: DANC and dr.jb
This is all haphazardly slapped together and it makes for a bad customer experience. Eventually the customers will find something else to do.
It all goes back to the NCAA throwing up their hands and acting like there was nothing to do about Ed O'Bannon suing for the use of his image on a video game.

Mark Emmert was even worse than Brand.

Because sports don't align with the educational mission of universities. They probably never did.
Disagree. I think competitive sports is important for a well-rounded individual and fits very well with high-ed. Sports competition can also be club or intramural.

I think what Marv wrote is the future. The top of the sec big ten and a few others will create a super league
Do you think that kind of future will include student athletes? With some exceptions, the whole concept of student athletes has become a joke. I bet all those opt-outs at FSU have opted out of classes too.

That can change with appropriate legislative exemptions.

I don’t like NIL. I think it stinks. But at this time there is no choice.

Last edited:
With unrestricted transfers and NIL the lower tier colleges will become developmental leagues for the big guys. Colorado State lost its best player because of money. And he didn’t go pro. That hurts the entire concept of intercollegiate sports.

Do you think that kind of future will include student athletes? With some exceptions, the whole concept of student athletes has become a joke. I bet all those opt-outs at FSU have opted out of classes too.
It’s hard to say. Most don’t go pro. So a select few at each school are driving the ship. But all sports are changing. My buddy’s kid turned down a full ride to Georgetown to stay with the mls academy. We had a debate on our group chat whether that made sense. Well now he has a 3 year mls contract. He doesn’t need college. So even in left handed sports the appeal/necessity of college is changing.

Last edited:
It’s hard to say. Most don’t go pro. So a select few at each school are driving the ship. But all sports are changing. My buddy’s kid turned down a full ride to Georgetown to stay with the mls academy. We had a debate on our group chat whether that made sense. Well now he has a 3 year mls contract. He doesn’t need college. So even if left handed sports the appeal/necessity of college is changing.
Right now, if a kid wants to play pro football or pro basketball, the entry goes through college. Hockey and baseball aren’t like that. Basketball and football should be like hockey and baseball.

Right now, if a kid wants to play pro football or pro basketball, the entry goes through college. Hockey and baseball aren’t like that. Basketball and football should be like hockey and baseball.
Yeah just skip the pretense for those ready to go

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT