ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia v Florida State

I think they are incentivized to include more schools. If they get rid of too many teams they’ll start losing viewership.

Why? Indiana draws almost no football TV attendence. They might keep an Indiana under the idea we get half the revenue of an OSU. That is pretty much what FSU is suggesting.

They are also scrappier. We are a team of nice kids. We need a player who will cut you if that is what it takes

Reactions: DANC
That can change with appropriate legislative exemptions.

I don’t like NIL. I think it stinks. But at this time there is no choice.
When the letter of intent becomes a multi-year contract…it will change. Until then it will be chaos. I don’t think we need legislation…unless legislation is needed to initiate the contracts

Reactions: DANC and UncleMark
Why? Indiana draws almost no football TV attendence. They might keep an Indiana under the idea we get half the revenue of an OSU. That is pretty much what FSU is suggesting.
It draws in more fans if they include IU, Illinois, Iowa, and etc. I’m less likely to watch if Indiana isn’t included. I don’t care to watch a league of just SEC schools and a few other teams. I would have zero connections to it. At some point they would start to alienate fans.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
It draws in more fans if they include IU, Illinois, Iowa, and etc. I’m less likely to watch if Indiana isn’t included. I don’t care to watch a league of just SEC schools and a few other teams. I would have zero connections to it. At some point they would start to alienate fans.
Yeah but the fla osu fans will be watching. Iu will be playing wake. Rutgers Vanderbilt. Just a restructuring

They are trying to do the same in euro soccer now

When not on the big 10 network, our games are watched pretty well.

When we're on the Big 10 is when viewership drops, but I'd you're not the Big 3, that's true for basically everyone in the Big 10.

Reactions: DANC and snarlcakes
They are also scrappier. We are a team of nice kids. We need a player who will cut you if that is what it takes

That would be Garzon. I want her on my side in an alley fight.

Oh, and I should mention the IL coach is a babe.

Screen_Shot_2022_03_21_at_9.31.13_AM.0.png

Will coaches like contracts? I assume if contracts aren't going to let players just leave as they do now, they won't let teams just cut (crean) players. Nope, I don't want to run, but I will collect my NIL and occupy a roster spot.

My thought is that it is hard to take away a right, the players have had for a couple years now the right to move. Taking that away while keeping the right to cut at will for just about any reason might be hard to achieve. My guess, like coaches, the rest of the contract will have to be bought out. That would mean they get the scholarship or paid cash for it. Same for NIL.

Will coaches like contracts? I assume if contracts aren't going to let players just leave as they do now, they won't let teams just cut (crean) players. Nope, I don't want to run, but I will collect my NIL and occupy a roster spot.

My thought is that it is hard to take away a right, the players have had for a couple years now the right to move. Taking that away while keeping the right to cut at will for just about any reason might be hard to achieve. My guess, like coaches, the rest of the contract will have to be bought out. That would mean they get the scholarship or paid cash for it. Same for NIL.
Agreed. Good games today with Liverpool Newcastle snuck in as well. Today is the day to resurrect this shitty bowl season

Were you not the one that just in the last week said congress should only pass a budget than go home?

I have no problem with legislation, but it seems out of character for the person who said the comment above.
Good catch, but try again. ;)

My proposed legislative action is to reduce the effect of government by permitting collusion without fear of anti-trust laws. Of course, my proposal assumes the parties in interest will collude for good—and that point is debatable. I think the baseball exemption has worked out fairly well.

I took a look, Wooden made $40,500 his last year, about $208,000 in 2022 money. Bear Bryant made $100,000 in salary (and $300,000 in radio/tv) in 1982. That would be $1.2 million and change in 2022. Allen's salary dwarfed Bear Bryant's adjusted for inflation.

We complain a lot about players, we need to reign in coaches too. 8f the argument is that coaches win and bring in money, well, these star players win and bring in money. Ohio State's coach looked mighty mortal without his normal QB.

College sports aren't properly entertaining me.... Let's have Congress fix it.

confused-black.gif

The funny thing is both games yesterday were great, well, as great as could be with that one horrible school winning. But seeing a former IU player win is nice.

The problem games always happen, and largely because for some reason Big 10 teams go to bowl games. Every year the B10 teams get embarrassed.

I'm not sure congress should worry about NCAA football until we have a border deal (and that includes dealing with Dreamers), Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan funded, and me named Emperor. That role can largely be ceremonial as long as it pays great. Wait, make me Emperor of College Athletics and it takes care of both at the same time.

To me, the answer is so simple - I'm probably missing something.

Make every football college football player be eligible only if they sign a contract. That contract would set up payments, buyouts if they transfer, insurance, penalties for 'opting out' of bowl games or meaningless games if healthy, etc. It would probably mean direct payments from the school to the players, but we have that now, essentially. And there would be salary caps, just like in the NFL.

College football and basketball are now professional, so treat them as professionals. Keep scholarships - that is like a UBI for every player.

The pretense of amateur sports is already destroyed - play in the real world with real world rules.
That's pretty good. I'd go further and make all college sports semi-professional. Make them pay their own way.

1) Make athletes hire lawyers/agents to negotiate contracts that have a limit to the number of games that the athlete has to play. 13 (12 regular season and a bowl) for football to start . . . more for a 16 team playoff . . . 40 for basketball, plus all the other stuff you mention.

2) Have tuition included as part of the player's compensation package. Make it taxable. Put the package and player on par with all other students. Get colleges and universities out of athletics. Let them focus on education.

3) Let the free market determine the player's value. Put in contracts penalties (liquidated damages) for the player's early out/not playing in a bowl. Bowls couldn't rely on cheap labor for their profit. They'd have to pay for the privilege.

4) I don't think you'd need salary caps. The markets (NFL, NBA, MLB and MLS (the bane of @Univee2's existence)) would limit things pretty readily.

5) Let the semi-professional teams take on the cost of stadiums and arenas. They can lease what's there.

Reactions: DANC
12 team playoffs will be super fun. Last night’s games were great. On too late but great
Yesterday was one of the best day’s of football I can remember. Wisconsin , LSU was good too. Little break for Iowa and Liberty to get thumped but those night games were crazy. And who could sleep right after the Washington-Texas game? Crazy good

That's pretty good. I'd go further and make all college sports semi-professional. Make them pay their own way.

1) Make athletes hire lawyers/agents to negotiate contracts that have a limit to the number of games that the athlete has to play. 13 (12 regular season and a bowl) for football to start . . . more for a 16 team playoff . . . 40 for basketball, plus all the other stuff you mention.

2) Have tuition included as part of the player's compensation package. Make it taxable. Put the package and player on par with all other students. Get colleges and universities out of athletics. Let them focus on education.

3) Let the free market determine the player's value. Put in contracts penalties (liquidated damages) for the player's early out/not playing in a bowl. Bowls couldn't rely on cheap labor for their profit. They'd have to pay for the privilege.

4) I don't think you'd need salary caps. The markets (NFL, NBA, MLB and MLS (the bane of @Univee2's existence)) would limit things pretty readily.

5) Let the semi-professional teams take on the cost of stadiums and arenas. They can lease what's there.
So, you really want to go down the road of accumulating and paying the Kangaroo Court’s fines?

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

$5.00.

Am confused about what is being discussed in this thread.

First or all, is it just football ?

Secondly, which schools ? All the D1 schools, or just those eligible for the NCAA championship ?

Presume D2 and D3 schools are not included.

I think we should keep scholarships, but maybe make it need-based. So, if a guy signs a big contract, he probably wouldn't qualify, but the average player who wants to play D1 football can at least have his tuition and living expenses paid for - that's not an insignificant amount of money nowdays.

So, you really want to go down the road of accumulating and paying the Kangaroo Court’s fines?

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

$5.00.
Thought about you yesterday. I heard a jazz radio station playing In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. Don't know if this is the version I heard, but it's pretty good:

• Love
Reactions: Univee2
Damn, damn, damn. That was excellent. Going to be looking this up in a couple of minutes.
Thought you might like it. ;)

Whipping Post, Statesboro Blues and other Allman Songs are on the album. I've listened to Statesboro Blues and it's true to the original.

And if you want the Allman version (Fillmore East) comes on automatically following this one.

Thought you might like it. ;)

Whipping Post, Statesboro Blues and other Allman Songs are on the album. I've listened to Statesboro Blues and it's true to the original.

And if you want the Allman version (Fillmore East) comes on automatically following this one.
Just ordered it. Some reviews weren’t complimentary about the few vocals, but so what.

Live at Fillmore East remains my all-time favorite album. Wore out my first vinyl copy. Have 3 cd copies, for home, car and work (since brought home).

• Love
Reactions: DANC and Sope Creek
I can't decide whether the Allmans were a jazz, blues or southern rock band. All three I guess.

In any case they were damned good.
Just a unique mix, but the best description I heard was a blues band with a healthy jazz influence. And that still doesn’t quite nail it but it’s as good as any.

Just a unique mix, but the best description I heard was a blues band with a healthy jazz influence. And that still doesn’t quite nail it but it’s as good as any.
. . . and some country . . . .

I once worked for a company that had a plant servicer - no really - and the guy servicing the plants was a former acoustic guitar player for the Allmans. He asked me what songs I liked and I was listening to Eat A Peach at the time, and I said Ramblin' Man and Blue Skies and he said the country songs.

I guess.

. . . and some country . . . .

I once worked for a company that had a plant servicer - no really - and the guy servicing the plants was a former acoustic guitar player for the Allmans. He asked me what songs I liked and I was listening to Eat A Peach at the time, and I said Ramblin' Man and Blue Skies and he said the country songs.

I guess.
So, Dickey Betts was your guy. Ain’t nothing’ wrong with that, except Dickey will be contacting you about the correct title, Blue Sky.

• Love
Reactions: Sope Creek
So, Dickey Betts was your guy. Ain’t nothing’ wrong with that, except Dickey will be contacting you about the correct title, Blue Sky.
Oh I don't know . . . I liked Little Martha, and Statesboro Blues, too . . . I just liked guitar work. Los Angeles Guitar Quartet, Julian Bream and John Williams, Segovia are all in my collection.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT