ADVERTISEMENT

Gawd are Americans annoying.

This is rich...considering the Japanese are some of the most annoying tourists from just about anywhere on earth. Taking 5000 pictures of everything, with no regard whatsoever for anyone around them, or any concept of the idea of personal space.

The Euros are just as bad regarding rudeness and lack of respect for space, but at least they aren't over the top in regards to the photography.

Reactions: Raider Dave
Myself and several of the guys I was in the Navy with would wear shirts with the Canadian flag on it while we were overseas...anything to hide the fact we were Americans.
My experience abroad was that once they knew I was American, they were interested how I liked their country and worked hard to be friendly. The UK want visitors to leave with a good opinion of them. Japan and Hong Kong didn't go to overboard, but tried hard to make me comfortable. China really wanted to put a good show on for me. Those companies that aren't doing business with the US are looking for ways to make inroads into our market.

I never try to hide who I am while traveling. I would not advertise it in some areas for safety reasons, but it is hard to hide I am from the west in some areas. It may be old fashioned, but I am proud to be an American and I don't want to be confused with other western countries. I find people are interested in the US. Several people in train stations and airports in China wanted to talk with me to practice their English. I used the opportunity to ask questions and learn about the area I was in. I spent 3 weeks last year in China. Unfortunately, most of the time I was in heavy industrial cities. I was looking forward to my train ride on the high speed rail as a chance to see more of the country side. Too bad it was 90% at night.

America is the best. Overall. Not particularly the best in any one thing. Completely crappy in some things. But overall? It's the best. And I think by a pretty fair margin. That probably says more about the world we live in though.

On my several visits to Brazil, the folks there loved Americans. They always wanted to chat and know about where I was from and such. Brazil is one of my favorite places to visit, even though I was a attacked by some wayward teens at night in Rio, attempting to pick pocket me ( unsuccessfully ).

Ireland locals also said they were fond of most Americans that visited, they seemed to really dislike the French though.

My travels to Europe are fairly limited (Germany, Austria and Italy), but I found everyone to be genuinely friendly. The Germans and Austrians were a bit more inclined to strike up a conversation than the Italians, but everyone was nice. I can't remember seeing anyone of any nationality behaving poorly. Perhaps that is just my limited experience.

What I have seen is foreigners acting improperly at several US locations. We took the kids to Disney World back in early June and Europeans didn't appear to grasp the concept of standing in lines for things. They would cut wherever they could and when confronted pretended not to understand English. I didn't get too worked up about it, but when you standing in line for an hour, someone cutting in front of you is bound to make you irritable. I've also witnessed some folks in bars and restaurants behaving very poorly either by berating the staff or getting overly drunk, loud and belligerent. It certainly wasn't everyone and I don't judge the whole of Europe based on the actions of a couple of assholes.

My point is that each country has its bad actors and no one, including Americans, should judge the country as a whole based on the actions of a few assholes.

My travels to Europe are fairly limited (Germany, Austria and Italy), but I found everyone to be genuinely friendly. The Germans and Austrians were a bit more inclined to strike up a conversation than the Italians, but everyone was nice. I can't remember seeing anyone of any nationality behaving poorly. Perhaps that is just my limited experience.

What I have seen is foreigners acting improperly at several US locations. We took the kids to Disney World back in early June and Europeans didn't appear to grasp the concept of standing in lines for things. They would cut wherever they could and when confronted pretended not to understand English. I didn't get too worked up about it, but when you standing in line for an hour, someone cutting in front of you is bound to make you irritable. I've also witnessed some folks in bars and restaurants behaving very poorly either by berating the staff or getting overly drunk, loud and belligerent. It certainly wasn't everyone and I don't judge the whole of Europe based on the actions of a couple of assholes.

My point is that each country has its bad actors and no one, including Americans, should judge the country as a whole based on the actions of a few assholes.

Oh man, had forgotten about Disney, as I attempted to burn that trip from my memory. But you are 100% accurate about the Euros that go there. It was so bad it became a running joke. They are also HORRIBLY behaved at ski resorts, cutting in lift lines, literally nudging you out of the way, without as much as acknowledging your presence.

I have noticed on domestic flights that those from China don't wait their turn to deplane and push all the way to the front. Most people in the US allow the row in front gather their items and leave before exiting.

The domestic flights in China are a free for all. People are loud, and push and shove to get off the plane. The baggage claim at Wenzhou looked like a riot. Instead of them being rude on purpose, they are just doing what they know to be SOP in their country. I am sure there are things we do in their country they view as rude.

Reactions: sluggo69
I have noticed on domestic flights that those from China don't wait their turn to deplane and push all the way to the front. Most people in the US allow the row in front gather their items and leave before exiting.

The domestic flights in China are a free for all. People are loud, and push and shove to get off the plane. The baggage claim at Wenzhou looked like a riot. Instead of them being rude on purpose, they are just doing what they know to be SOP in their country. I am sure there are things we do in their country they view as rude.
It's because you smell like stale baloney, dude.

1 billion people. India makes everywhere else ive been look like tea and crumpets

Stupid and just f-in annoying. The average. Yea the average sucks everywhere, but at least in Japan they are quiet and I can't understand them. Americans suck. Loud, bragging about being buzzed at an airport bar, wtf. The guy next to me is pretending to be into k pop to pickup some quarter Korean girl. Stupid people.
Is that you Ms. Grande?

1 billion people. India makes everywhere else ive been look like tea and crumpets
I haven't had to go to India yet. From what others from India have told me, I am not in a hurry to go there. It is a matter of time before i will have to go there to investigate a potential vendor. Funny thing is, the facilities rarely look like their website or brochures.

India is a butthole. America may not be perfect, but in the good ole USA it is not commonplace for people to just stop and drop a dook on the side of the road in front of God and everyone.

Also not the best place to be if you are a woman

Bear in mind, in the Navy we didn't travel business class and we didn't stay in the affluent business areas of cities. I'm guessing our travel experiences are diametrically different than some of those listed above based upon time period and where we went.

I'd love to see some here wear a T-shirt of Reagan riding a bald eagle in Palma in the Blood Alley district, especially during the late 80s or early 90s. I am also guessing none of you have been spat on by a Frenchman, while wearing your dress uniform. Long story.

I traveled extensively in France, and the dislike of Americans seemed to be more concentrated in Paris and the South. In Italy, the Sicilians were great, but in Rome there was anti-USA graffiti. My boat used to be home-ported in Gaeta, and the locals there loved us, down the road in Naples, not so much. The Turks were great, as long as we were respectful (who would have guessed, sarcasm implied). The Norwegians didn't like Americans, but were fun to party with.

Summary: it is a totally different thing to travel the world as a tourist / businessman than it is as a cog in "America's Imperialist War Machine."

Bear in mind, in the Navy we didn't travel business class and we didn't stay in the affluent business areas of cities. I'm guessing our travel experiences are diametrically different than some of those listed above based upon time period and where we went.

I'd love to see some here wear a T-shirt of Reagan riding a bald eagle in Palma in the Blood Alley district, especially during the late 80s or early 90s. I am also guessing none of you have been spat on by a Frenchman, while wearing your dress uniform. Long story.

I traveled extensively in France, and the dislike of Americans seemed to be more concentrated in Paris and the South. In Italy, the Sicilians were great, but in Rome there was anti-USA graffiti. My boat used to be home-ported in Gaeta, and the locals there loved us, down the road in Naples, not so much. The Turks were great, as long as we were respectful (who would have guessed, sarcasm implied). The Norwegians didn't like Americans, but were fun to party with.

Summary: it is a totally different thing to travel the world as a tourist / businessman than it is as a cog in "America's Imperialist War Machine."
I imagine this is very true. I've only traveled to Honduras as a service member and we really didn't interact much with the general public, at least not in a heavily populated area. What interaction we did have was amazing. We were mostly on humanitarian missions (building schools and outhouses--I was a combat engineer) and the people were overwhelmingly kind and appreciative--except for the folks who stole the doors off the commodes to put on their homes.

Yep, Americans are stupid and annoying.

But "gawd" is in your vocabulary. So, you know, pick your poison.
Sparkles, are you a nationalist? Nationalism is so 15th century. Dare to think beyond it.

I haven't had to go to India yet. From what others from India have told me, I am not in a hurry to go there. It is a matter of time before i will have to go there to investigate a potential vendor. Funny thing is, the facilities rarely look like their website or brochures.

I would never do business in India. Be prepared to negotiate. And whatever you agree to they will keep bargaining.

Oh man, had forgotten about Disney, as I attempted to burn that trip from my memory. But you are 100% accurate about the Euros that go there. It was so bad it became a running joke. They are also HORRIBLY behaved at ski resorts, cutting in lift lines, literally nudging you out of the way, without as much as acknowledging your presence.

It's funny to watch people accusing others of being rude, because they have no understanding of the others culture. Both you and Foosier have used examples of cultural differences and labelled them rude.

Europeans do the same with regards to Americans, it's not just an American trait. The lack of understanding is the problem, not the rudeness of the others.

Then don't post here. What do you think the OTF is?

Besides, what can I do about stupid and annoying people? I'm all in favor of abortion.

No one is sure why he comes here. It seems to be to whine about other peoples posts. Which is funny considering his earlier post.

He is the self appointed arbiter of OTF posts. He will let you know if your post is OK.

Which also makes me laugh, but as I said before, he must be here to entertain me.

He likes it.

It's funny to watch people accusing others of being rude, because they have no understanding of the others culture. Both you and Foosier have used examples of cultural differences and labelled them rude.

Europeans do the same with regards to Americans, it's not just an American trait. The lack of understanding is the problem, not the rudeness of the others.

Well please explain what culture is it normal to basically just walk over/through/ahead of people, while not even acknowledging doing so? Serious question....and where does it come from? Is the idea of public lines totally unheard of?

Well please explain what culture is it normal to basically just walk over/through/ahead of people, while not even acknowledging doing so? Serious question....and where does it come from? Is the idea of public lines totally unheard of?

Trust me, it used to annoy me for a while.

People don't line up here, it's just not the way things work. Try skiing in Europe and lining up like you do in the US, you may never get back to the top of the mountain.

The concept of personal space is very different here. The American expectation of personal space is very different then the European. It manifests itself in many different ways.

You are used to the American cultural norms and see anything different as rude. That's your problem, quite putting your norms on others.

Europeans complain about Americans too, they are doing the same thing.

I got rude looks in the canteen a month or so ago, because I was telling a story in a typically American way. It bothered others because I was too loud. It would have seemed completely normal to you.

Nobody is necessarily wrong other then trying to project their culture on others.

Same reason you reek of stale baloney, some cultures aren't so infatuated with English politeness, and others wash their ass. Who's to say which is better...

Same reason you reek of stale baloney, some cultures aren't so infatuated with English politeness, and others wash their ass. Who's to say which is better...

Here's hoping that ass washing is becoming a worldwide phenomenon.

Did hear a report on npr about India's problems with training people not to crap in fields, but instead use their toilets. They instituted a public wall of shame in each village, where they will post your picture of you squatting in action.

Did hear a report on npr about India's problems with training people not to crap in fields, but instead use their toilets. They instituted a public wall of shame in each village, where they will post your picture of you squatting in action.
My Mother dislikes Indians.

She calls them "a dirty people".

"Mom, that's racist"...

"Oh, shut up."....

*sigh*

Old people ..

I would never do business in India. Be prepared to negotiate. And whatever you agree to they will keep bargaining.
I had multiple issues with a firm in Italy that makes a specialized piece of equipment. I have come to expect there to be last minute issues on areas we have already agreed on and add time to my schedule to compensate. Their argument is to accept the changes or risk a delay. I tell them to do it the way we asked and to throw in air freight to make up the time.
Here's hoping that ass washing is becoming a worldwide phenomenon.

I was proofreading a paper my daughter wrote for a class this summer about the water issues in India. I learned that 48% of the raw sewage in New Delhi is treated. The rest is dumped into canals that reach the river that runs through the city. There were other interesting details and statistics, but basically all rivers and much of the ground water is unfit for use. Some water is too polluted for industrial use.

No one is sure why he comes here. It seems to be to whine about other peoples posts. Which is funny considering his earlier post.

He is the self appointed arbiter of OTF posts. He will let you know if your post is OK.

Which also makes me laugh, but as I said before, he must be here to entertain me.

He likes it.

Well you can't reasonably expect me to sit back & keep quiet at the ridiculous bs you spew around here can you? I entertain you & I get the pleasure of exposing your stupidity. That's what's called a win-win here in America. Stay silly, Euro.

Well you can't reasonably expect me to sit back & keep quiet at the ridiculous bs you spew around here can you? I entertain you & I get the pleasure of exposing your stupidity. That's what's called a win-win here in America. Stay silly, Euro.

It just seems like you could add some thought to your posts. You've got the whining down for sure.

Now show why my posts are ridiculous. You saying so isn't really helping. Expose the ridiculousness! This is you chance.

I expect more whining and that you will add nothing to this board. The vast majority of your posts are crying about other peoples posts. Put us in our place!

There are plenty of opportunities in this thread alone.

I was proofreading a paper my daughter wrote for a class this summer about the water issues in India. I learned that 48% of the raw sewage in New Delhi is treated. The rest is dumped into canals that reach the river that runs through the city. There were other interesting details and statistics, but basically all rivers and much of the ground water is unfit for use. Some water is too polluted for industrial use.

My understanding is that raw sewage is pretty par for the course throughout most of the world's rivers. We westerners are a bit spoiled on this count.

It just seems like you could add some thought to your posts. You've got the whining down for sure.

Now show why my posts are ridiculous. You saying so isn't really helping. Expose the ridiculousness! This is you chance.

I expect more whining and that you will add nothing to this board. The vast majority of your posts are crying about other peoples posts. Put us in our place!

There are plenty of opportunities in this thread alone.
At least he isn't phoney. Just sayin'

Reactions: IyamCornholio
At least he isn't phoney. Just sayin'

I don't follow. He makes empty statements with little to no argument/discussion.

This is his last post, what does it add?

How is it different then VPM? He reminds me more of Fender/Martha and the culture of change.

I don't follow. He makes empty statements with little to no argument/discussion.

This is his last post, what does it add?

How is it different then VPM? He reminds me more of Fender/Martha and the culture of change.

Oh, I'm not saying any of those things or validating him in any way. I've had more than my share of hassle with Jet, basically ignored him for over a year, and would never back him up in anyway.

I'm just saying, at least he didn't create a fake handle and only to act like a douche. So he may very well be VPM level clueless, and Martha level stick up the arse but at least he's not Fender level douchey.

Oh, I'm not saying any of those things or validating him in any way. I've had more than my share of hassle with Jet, basically ignored him for over a year, and would never back him up in anyway.

I'm just saying, at least he didn't create a fake handle and only to act like a douche. So he may very well be VPM level clueless, and Martha level stick up the arse but at least he's not Fender level douchey.

I'm just asking what he adds? Not being douchey isn't an answer.

He has the Martha culture change agenda. Martha eventually snapped. After many death threat e-mails. Jet seems a bit more grounded, but makes a lot of vacuous statements.

His musical taste seems OK. Why not engage in OTF style interesting discussion? I miss the times of insult and arguing. I actually learned a lot, not just your ideas are silly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT