ADVERTISEMENT

Game discussion - Moaning & Applause

So, Newkirk is still terrible... Please leave him on the bench.

Just heard CAM's post-game remarks.

I'm always impressed with what he says and the way he says it, win or loss.

He has to know he's got his hands full with these guys, but he's analytical and consistent in his attitude. I don't think he will ever throw the players under the bus, but I also bet he can't wait to get his own guys out there.

Reactions: 82hoosier
I do have an honest question here:
Archie coached a fantastic game against ND in a game we really shouldn't have won, at least on paper.

We turn around and completely mail it in this game. If the last game was due to coaching, how do we look at this one? Players? Coaching? Preparation? All the above?

One thing's for sure.....Archie has not been able to positively effect the play of Johnson, Green & Newkirk. The question I have is.....could anyone? I went back and looked at last year's A/TO #s for these 3......they were almost exactly the same ratios as this year. My gut feeling is that these 3 guys are just very difficult to "coach up".

So what about Walk-Ons... Maybe they're good listeners.... IU's already losing by 20 to bad teams... Let's have a little fun with them

take everything inside to Juwan Morgan.
Why would we feed the post? Let’s just have our guys use piss poor spacing to make that impossible and chuck stupid shots or throw the ball to the opposing team. That seemed to be the game plan tonight.

He's great 50% of the time, and terrible 50% of the time,[/QUOTE
One thing's for sure.....Archie has not been able to positively effect the play of Johnson, Green & Newkirk. The question I have is.....could anyone? I went back and looked at last year's A/TO #s for these 3......they were almost exactly the same ratios as this year. My gut feeling is that these 3 guys are just very difficult to "coach up".

Newkirk is on his 3rd college coach - he hasn’t been a good player under any of them. I would suggest there’s an overwhelming amount of evidence that he’s the type of player that should only be seeing 7-8 minutes per game - he’s just not very good and never has been.

He and Johnson have very low B.B. IQs and zero situational awareness. When your senior (and fifth year senior) guards are a major part of the team’s problems, you are going to have a bad team regardless of who your coach is.

Newkirk is on his 3rd college coach - he hasn’t been a good player under any of them. I would suggest there’s an overwhelming amount of evidence that he’s the type of player that should only be seeing 7-8 minutes per game - he’s just not very good and never has been.

He and Johnson have very low B.B. IQs and zero situational awareness. When your senior (and fifth year senior) guards are a major part of the team’s problems, you are going to have a bad team regardless of who your coach is.

Can't disagree.

I remember when we first heard that Newkirk was going to transfer from Pitt. He had gotten worse as a Soph. I didn't like the odds then that he would be effective under Crean. And it looks as if Green might be not be redeemable. either When ND barely missed the long 3 pointer to tie he barely reacted to the win. A very noticeable indifferent attitude. At least that's how it appeared. I would feel better if someone close to the scene would tell me that that's just his style, and he really does give a damn.

Reactions: minneman
Just heard CAM's post-game remarks.

I'm always impressed with what he says and the way he says it, win or loss.

He has to know he's got his hands full with these guys, but he's analytical and consistent in his attitude. I don't think he will ever throw the players under the bus, but I also bet he can't wait to get his own guys out there.
True. Crean handled things differently.

I do have an honest question here:
Archie coached a fantastic game against ND in a game we really shouldn't have won, at least on paper.

We turn around and completely mail it in this game. If the last game was due to coaching, how do we look at this one? Players? Coaching? Preparation? All the above?
It sure, but watching these same guards from last year, and two of them are not better. One isn’t much better. Players are certainly part of the problem, more specifically the guards...

Why would we feed the post? Let’s just have our guys use piss poor spacing to make that impossible and chuck stupid shots or throw the ball to the opposing team. That seemed to be the game plan tonight.

This was the most disappointing aspect of the coaching tonight.......I don't understand why we didn't seriously slow it down and continuously feed the post. Instead we got into a 3 point shooting contest, which we were bound to lose. When Johnson started off hot, he immediately took a couple of contested 3s......after that it was helter-skelter.

Newkirk is the main problem with this tram.
It wasn’t just him last night. Johnson was terrible too. Green was pretty bad as well. We should have played 4 post players I guess because our guards are god awful

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT