ADVERTISEMENT

Gabe Kupp's Jump Shooting

It is Crean results. He's bragging about and arguing for keeping Crean results around for 20 years.
Purdue fans, especially ones in their 30’s have no clue. They don’t know any better and why would they? Purdue’s benchmark for success has always been IU and they don’t realize the self-burn that comes with comparing them to an IU program who hasn’t done shit in nearly 25 years. It’s comical.

For all you armchair vidoephiles, shooters and jump shooting coaches ...

Look at Gabe Cupps's jump shot at 19:12 of the first half versus KU. He was open going toward the left baseline. He does not jump straight up. He jumps toward the baseline. He chooses a hard targeting solution versus a much easier targeting solution. Needless to say, he missed the shot.

Getting Gabe 2-4 more points per game is a no downside coaching exercise. I don't understand why the Kupps Sr, Woodsons, Cheaney's, etc. don't correct this shooting issue. Does anyone have Matt Roth's digits?

It just seems tough to address a D1 kids shot...the number of shots they've taken to get here...man that seems like a big ask.
Do you know what the first thing the Boston Celtics did with Romeo Langford when they drafted him? They taped a ping pong paddle to his left hand to try and correct a bad shooting form. Pro golfers seem to always be tweaking their swings with swing coaches. When you stop trying to be the best, you just become one of the rest. And yes, I just made that shit up!

Do you know what the first thing the Boston Celtics did with Romeo Langford when they drafted him? They taped a ping pong paddle to his left hand to try and correct a bad shooting form. Pro golfers seem to always be tweaking their swings with swing coaches. When you stop trying to be the best, you just become one of the rest. And yes, I just made that shit up!
Well it sounds like you're making my case. How's that working for Romeo?

My point is that these kids, by the time they've reached the D1 level, have taken hundreds of thousands of jumpers...in practices, games...addressing mechanics at this level would seem to me to be incredibly difficult...perhaps, even, insurmountable in terms of a challenge.

Well it sounds like you're making my case. How's that working for Romeo?

My point is that these kids, by the time they've reached the D1 level, have taken hundreds of thousands of jumpers...in practices, games...addressing mechanics at this level would seem to me to be incredibly difficult...perhaps, even, insurmountable in terms of a challenge.
I don't think it's too much to work on, tweak or even remake someone's shot at the D1 level, but it sure is to try and do it during the season. That's an offseason thing and hundreds of hours of gym time. Minor tweaks and reviews with coaches should be going on all the time, and covering things like mechanics (squaring up), proper shot opportunities, etc... but agree you shouldn't be remaking someone's shooting form mid-season.

Reactions: T.M.P. and BigMobe
I guess I didn’t see enough video of him from high school. I was under the impression that he was a pure shooter. He obviously is not.
But he is certainly not a lost cause. As mentioned above, with a few tweaks and a ton of work, he can be much better next year. He also needs improvement in other areas. Like his ball handling and penetration skills, seeing the court better, floaters and finishing, adding strength. Expect him to work hard and be a good Big 10 pg by year 3.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
He can shoot. Somewhere on YouTube there's a video of him at age 14 or so, shooting threes with LeBron.

Probably just doesn't have the comfort level yet to be a confident shooter in the college game.

Reactions: Willdog7
It sure seems like he’s got as good a role model as he could hope to find sitting virtually right next to him on the bench. Jordy was sometimes frustrating to watch because he couldn’t really guard, couldn’t really rebound, couldn’t make many steals, was just an ok passer/distributor, but he more than made up for all those with a pure jump shot. It was somewhat shocking when he actually missed a 3.

Reactions: 76-1 and Willdog7
I don't think it's too much to work on, tweak or even remake someone's shot at the D1 level, but it sure is to try and do it during the season. That's an offseason thing and hundreds of hours of gym time. Minor tweaks and reviews with coaches should be going on all the time, and covering things like mechanics (squaring up), proper shot opportunities, etc... but agree you shouldn't be remaking someone's shooting form mid-season.
Poor shooting form is a prevalent topic on most of ISB Radio's IU basketball post-game shows with Todd Leary. He says he does not understand why it is not addressed.

Poor shooting form is a prevalent topic on most of ISB Radio's IU basketball post-game shows with Todd Leary. He says he does not understand why it is not addressed.
I enjoy your post game shows with Todd. He seems to have a good, balanced POV and obviously good insight as a former player.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Purdue fans, especially ones in their 30’s have no clue. They don’t know any better and why would they? Purdue’s benchmark for success has always been IU and they don’t realize the self-burn that comes with comparing them to an IU program who hasn’t done shit in nearly 25 years. It’s comical.
You need to read what you typed! Bend over and kiss your own $$$ and maybe the blood will flow to your brain and you will understand that the only funny thing is what you typed. IU has become THE JOKE, after 25 years you would think that would sink in. But behold, NOPE! Keep typing!

Great addition. Todd and the other former players are great to hear how they view it.

Just try not to knock out too many east coast uconn fans at Hoosier hanks!!

• Haha
Reactions: Jim Coyle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT