ADVERTISEMENT

G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to college 1-and-done route

I don't think this will impact college basketball that much. Maybe it would return to the old days of building programs with players who play 3-4 years which is what most of them still do anyway. If anything, I think it may hurt the mid-levels. Much of their recent success is due to being veteran teams. The top schools will still get the best available players only they will become teams with players who stay longer.

I also don't see an issue with letting the kid return to school to play on a schollie if the 1 year thing doesn't work out for 125k. He would just lose some eligibility. So what if he was paid 125k as long he is not getting paid while he is playing college ball when he returns. The NCAA could relax their amateur status some.

Did Lebron James and Kobe Bryant going straight to the NBA hurt NCAAB's popularity? I don't think it did and neither did all those other high school stars going directly into the NBA when it was allowed. There might be some more that go into the G League but I think this won't hurt college basketball's popularity even a little.
No but they were the once a decade players. Not the 15-25 per year.

Imagine the difference the last few years for us without Zeller, Vonleh, Romeo, Bryant, and not TJD/Brooks etc. And we haven’t even recruited well.

If it’s 2-3 per year it won’t hurt anything. 15-25 and it really hurts the quality imo.

You have stated multiple times that freshmen don’t have that much of an impact in college basketball. Now college basketball will suffer if they lose the top 15 players?
Respectfully you have the wrong person. Must be mistaken identity. I’ve argued for years freshmen are key and we should go after as many one and dones as possible.

Honestly I think you’re mistaking me with IUScott

I don't think this will impact college basketball that much. Maybe it would return to the old days of building programs with players who play 3-4 years which is what most of them still do anyway. If anything, I think it may hurt the mid-levels. Much of their recent success is due to being veteran teams. The top schools will still get the best available players only they will become teams with players who stay longer.

I also don't see an issue with letting the kid return to school to play on a schollie if the 1 year thing doesn't work out for 125k. He would just lose some eligibility. So what if he was paid 125k as long he is not getting paid while he is playing college ball when he returns. The NCAA could relax their amateur status some.
I agree that if it does hurt anyone it won’t be UK, Duke, Kansas, etc. Those teams will still have the best available. Except now they’ll have experience.

Everyone’s recruiting will just move down a level. It may actually help Duke UK etc

Good grief, no. If you play pro ball, you lose amateur status. That is why you don't do it until you are ready. It isn't fair to college players to play against someone with pro experience. That is the whole point of amateur athletics.

This is a good option for the kids that can’t read or come from a bad background. Bringing them in and holding their hand as a student degrades the university.

...Imagine the best players playing 4 years of college basketball, those day are sadly gone. Now imagine all 1st round draft choices never playing a minute of college basketball. That is depressing if you are a college basketball fan. I rooted for walk ons and baseball players in Crean's first year at IU, but I would not enjoy watching that over a G-League game with some of the best young players on the planet.

The guys who get drafted are not currently equal to the best college players. They are the players whom teams see as having the highest potential. Some of them are top guys, but many of the best college ball players are not 1st rounders, each and every year.

Yogi. Draymond Green. Frank Kaminski. Easy examples.

This is a good option for the kids that can’t read or come from a bad background. Bringing them in and holding their hand as a student degrades the university.

Agreed. I think it could help some young guys who are hardship cases without hurting college ball.

Good grief, no. If you play pro ball, you lose amateur status. That is why you don't do it until you are ready. It isn't fair to college players to play against someone with pro experience. That is the whole point of amateur athletics.

I don't agree. It is a healthy competition for a certain number of select spots available 18 year olds or recent HS grads not yet eligible for the NBA draft. It is essentially a program with a 5 month season that ends about the same time the NCAA season ends. All kids will have their chance to earn one of those spots during that 1 year. IMO, it would a good option for the kid to be able choose to still go to college or not after that 1 year plus it weeds out the real one and dones.

The guys who get drafted are not currently equal to the best college players. They are the players whom teams see as having the highest potential. Some of them are top guys, but many of the best college ball players are not 1st rounders, each and every year.

Yogi. Draymond Green. Frank Kaminski. Easy examples.

The best college guys are being drafted. The guys who get drafted in round 2 most always wind up with a contract. It's not the crap shoot being made out to be.

Just because the top of the draft is dominated by younger guys doesn't mean others aren't getting drafted. Kaminski was a lottery pick. Green barely missed the 1st. Kuzma was late 1st. Crowder was just before Green. Jason Hart was in the same area of the draft (25-35). Brunson, Graham, and Jevon Carter went in the 30s (early 2nd).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT