ADVERTISEMENT

G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to college 1-and-done route

Let's see how this plays out. Paying a kid out of high school six figures while grown men are fighting for their lives making 30k is begging for trouble. I see lawsuits and players union holdouts to force "fairness". Then it is just a matter of time before it collapses on itself when owners refuse to take a loss.

You have to generate revenue to be sustainable. Once they are forced to pay on a more even balance, they will need TV money. But nobody is going to pass up watching a real NBA game, or their favorite college team to tune in and watch the Erie Bayhawks vs Memphis Hustle.

Also, I'm not sure this really helps the players. In the G League they give you the money and throw you in with the rest and say good luck. In college the coaches and fans treat you like a king and cater to you with promises of playing your style, play the position you like, and with a goal of getting you to the NBA. A five star is likely to get more attention and a better opportunity to be "the man" in college for a year.

Reactions: IUgradman
This would change G-League into prime time ESPN, with #1 announcing crew to a National TV audience. Regional Sports stations can broadcast the no talent left games to a local audience.

No it wouldn't.

People have a rooting interest in their Alma-mater because they went there, not because of the quality of play.

People have a rooting interest in the pros because they're the best in the world and there is usually a geographical connection.

No one wants to root for some nebulous, semi-pro team, even if the quality of play goes up a little.

...and they'll stop when nobody watches. Nobody watches the D league. Nobody's watching it with a few extra players they aren't very familiar with that aren't donning their schools colors. If they draw 5% greater viewership... congrats, now there are 1,575 in the arena vs 1500... and 2000 extra viewers. Ain't movin' no ones meter. U wanna watch bad basketball? Have at it. I, and most of the rest of the sports world won't.
Maybe CoacH K ,IZZO and Williams will all retire. That would be awesome for young up and coming coaches.

It really depends upon the number of top tier athletes that go G-League right out of HS or after 1 or 2 years of college. This will change the unwatchable current G-League game in smaller towns to a Big Time talent matchup of what would be LeBrons, Kobes, Garnetts, Ben Simmons' this not even remotely close to the G-League now. It would become a NBA Rookie and under 22 league. Right now your option is tske your chances out leaving early for the NBA and get physically manhandled playing against mature, strong, older men in their 20s to 30s, most of whom don't have long term NBA potential with bargain basement salaries. If the NBA signes kids to multimillion dollar deals then assigned then to the D-League I dont think you will see the low level of play and no media interest. If the NBA handles this right there will be really no need to go over-seas to make big money if not on a NBA parent team roster, G-League could have NBA caliber talent, and some with NBA level salaries. I watched the Celtics vs Sixers game on Tuesday night, and I doubt if i see many college games this year with more exciting young talent than in that game. Imagine the best players playing 4 years of college basketball, those day are sadly gone. Now imagine all 1st round draft choices never playing a minute of college basketball. That is depressing if you are a college basketball fan. I rooted for walk ons and baseball players in Crean's first year at IU, but I would not enjoy watching that over a G-League game with some of the best young players on the planet.

Last edited:
No it wouldn't.

People have a rooting interest in their Alma-mater because they went there, not because of the quality of play.

People have a rooting interest in the pros because they're the best in the world and there is usually a geographical connection.

No one wants to root for some nebulous, semi-pro team, even if the quality of play goes up a little.
If it went up a little, no, i agree marginally increased interest. If it went up a lot, its a game changer, and college basketball's talent pool and level of play would suffer.

Let's see how this plays out. Paying a kid out of high school six figures while grown men are fighting for their lives making 30k is begging for trouble. I see lawsuits and players union holdouts to force "fairness". Then it is just a matter of time before it collapses on itself when owners refuse to take a loss.

You have to generate revenue to be sustainable. Once they are forced to pay on a more even balance, they will need TV money. But nobody is going to pass up watching a real NBA game, or their favorite college team to tune in and watch the Erie Bayhawks vs Memphis Hustle.

Also, I'm not sure this really helps the players. In the G League they give you the money and throw you in with the rest and say good luck. In college the coaches and fans treat you like a king and cater to you with promises of playing your style, play the position you like, and with a goal of getting you to the NBA. A five star is likely to get more attention and a better opportunity to be "the man" in college for a year.
Its already that way in pro baseball, kids sign million dollar contracts then get assigned to a minor league team affiliated with the MLB parent club.

I think a few guys will go that route. It doesn’t bother me nor does it bother cal he’s all for it. Problem is, you build your brand by being seen on tv. How many gleague games that don’t include an Indiana player have you really cared about? Sure they can get paid 125k, but if they wait one more yr, they will make ten times that much, plus there’s always the idea your weaknesses will be shown by participating in the gleague costing these guys millions.

I think a few guys will go that route. It doesn’t bother me nor does it bother cal he’s all for it. Problem is, you build your brand by being seen on tv. How many gleague games that don’t include an Indiana player have you really cared about? Sure they can get paid 125k, but if they wait one more yr, they will make ten times that much, plus there’s always the idea your weaknesses will be shown by participating in the gleague costing these guys millions.
Very good points! I'm just afraid the biggest fear is about career threatening injuries. That is the top reason for leaving college early to declare for the NBA Draft. If the G-League and NBA parent clubs can provide career injury insurance then you could see an avalanche of NBA potential talent leaving early for the G-League/NBA path.

Very good points! I'm just afraid the biggest fear is about career threatening injuries. That is the top reason for leaving college early to declare for the NBA Draft. If the G-League and NBA parent clubs can provide career injury insurance then you could see an avalanche of NBA potential talent leaving early for the G-League/NBA path.

So you want them to pay them, insure them for injury, and provide education?

I like the concept of eliminating the academic fraud of non students on campus, but $125k is not gonna cut it.

It'll be interesting with the bidding war between college coaches now that they have a number to compete. Agents, shoe deals, clothing etc... Will still be in the college game.

It'll be interesting with the bidding war between college coaches now that they have a number to compete. Agents, shoe deals, clothing etc... Will still be in the college game.
Big Shoe is only after the next MJ, Kobe, and Lebron. When they are not in college, the Big Shoe money will follow the raw talent. Less Big shoe money spent on non NBA athletes with no return on investment for Big Shoe. Big Shoe is putting investing a lot of money into college basketball currently. I see that shifting down to Prep Schools and AAU, where there is less control, and the Top 10 players in each class still exist.

The players that would normally go to pu would choose a higher profile school. The broilees will have to settle for an even less talented player than they do now. Oh, to be a broilee, just can't get a break. : )

For the umpteenth time, would you give the Broilee thing a break? Do you realize how dumb it makes you look to keep razzing when they've absolutely owned us over the last several years? It's like that mouthy kid who keeps chirping after he got his a** beat. That kid always looked like a chump too.

For the umpteenth time, would you give the Broilee thing a break? Do you realize how dumb it makes you look to keep razzing when they've absolutely owned us over the last several years? It's like that mouthy kid who keeps chirping after he got his a** beat. That kid always looked like a chump too.

lesbian-punch-in-face.jpg

Is that you hitting your broilee girlfriend (she's wearing black and gold) for looking at another woman? For the last time, stop posting that, it makes you look silly, and not a toughgirl. lol

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
The sports news media will follow the talent. I am hoping it will only be about 7 to 10 Top Tier NBA Talent players a year if so it would be be minimal impact. If there is general disgrintlement with college basketball from not being paid to play, college making big $$$ money off of me lawsuit, I could definitely see the Prep School players who are wooed from top AAU team, to top Prep School, to G-League all in reagard to the fast track being paid to play and the NBA then you could be looking at double that number. If you took the top 20 to 25 kids each year, basically all the McDonalds AA kids, almost all of which are HS Prep School Players. That would change the talent level in major college basketball. ESPN is broadcasting games that feature McD AA players, not the kids that need developing. If ESPN hypes Zion for a year in HS they are going to broadcast his game in either the G-League or at Duke the following year.

The sports news media will follow the ratings. IU is a big draw when they have good players, and when they don't. We'll be fine. If anything, this will hurt the cheaters (whose black market has just gotten much grayer), and a couple of select schools that put all their recruiting eggs in the OAD basket. Even then, they'll just have to adjust, and the probably will.

If years and years of no-age limit didn't wreck college basketball, this won't.

This would change G-League into prime time ESPN, with #1 announcing crew to a National TV audience. Regional Sports stations can broadcast the no talent left games to a local audience.

Disagree.

It is the baseball model. You are still more likely to see college baseball teams on TV than you are minor league teams. Those minor league teams do not have a built in fan base like colleges and universities.

People who want to watch pro ball are watching the NBA. Watching Romeo play for the Mad Ants is a novelty that wears off after a game or two for most fans. Watching Indiana play Purdue is going to garner a greater interest.

I would say that MLB and the minor leagues is a more apt comparison. The kid goes and plays in virtual obscurity for a few years without all of the facility benefits of a big University and he hopes to get called up. The minor leagues are a rough go.

I love this idea. Let the kids who have zero interest in college go make some $$. Will not diminish college hoops at all. I do see some challenges:
  • I do see a competition from colleges for kids verses the D league
  • I do think schools will continue to bend the rules to get a great player
  • I don't think this idea cleans up college hoops
  • I do feel it may give and kid and his family options to avoid the slimey side and just go play ball
I didn't read all the posts so if I'm retracing someone else's steps I apologize.
Go Hoosiers!

People will watch if there is enough hype and talent. The NBA summer league has become very popular. I'm sure the NBA and Gatorade can market up the G-League.

I watched every minute of the Mavs preseason just to watch Doncic.

A lot of details yet to come. How do they select these players? I think the plan is choose those who have the best shot at success. IMO, NBA set 2022 as the date for these kids to enter draft out of HS. This gives them time to look at other methods that could be better alternates for developing and paying these kids. I don't think it is popular in the players union that an 18 year old who gets drafted number 1 and spends 1-2 years being developed gets millions.

I don’t think the money means much at $125k, but if the top players feel they can develop better in the D league than college, I can see several going that route.

In the pros you likely have more time to train and prepare vs the demands of college.

Nothing the NCAA can do about it, but this could really hurt college basketball if kids like Romeo, TJD, Brooks, Stewart, etc all bypassed college. Again, the development aspect is the key. Which is better will determine it imo.

I don’t think the money means much at $125k, but if the top players feel they can develop better in the D league than college, I can see several going that route.

In the pros you likely have more time to train and prepare vs the demands of college.

Nothing the NCAA can do about it, but this could really hurt college basketball if kids like Romeo, TJD, Brooks, Stewart, etc all bypassed college. Again, the development aspect is the key. Which is better will determine it imo.
It depends on if the NBA completely transforms the G-League into a NBA Rookie or U-22 league where players go to develop, get paid big dollars, and get a safety net in case of injury. If it is only a handful of players 5 or less it would have minimal impact on IU. If it was a significant number and take basically the top 25 or more every year, including the entire McD AA Team. Those are your stars currently in college basketball, if you took the entire McD AA team to the G-League every year it would have a significant negative impact on college basketball by removing a majority of future NBA All-Stars from ever playing a minute of college basketball. That would suck, for college basketball.

It depends on if the NBA completely transforms the G-League into a NBA Rookie or U-22 league where players go to develop, get paid big dollars, and get a safety net in case of injury. If it is only a handful of players 5 or less it would have minimal impact on IU. If it was a significant number and take basically the top 25 or more every year, including the entire McD AA Team. Those are your stars currently in college basketball, if you took the entire McD AA team to the G-League every year it would have a significant negative impact on college basketball by removing a majority of future NBA All-Stars from ever playing a minute of college basketball. That would suck, for college basketball.
Agree. If you take even the top 15 players out every year it will really hurt the product on the court. I don’t want to see that. It would hurt a whole lot more than just letting kids go straight to the nba.

People will watch if there is enough hype and talent. The NBA summer league has become very popular. I'm sure the NBA and Gatorade can market up the G-League.

I watched every minute of the Mavs preseason just to watch Doncic.

A lot of details yet to come. How do they select these players? I think the plan is choose those who have the best shot at success. IMO, NBA set 2022 as the date for these kids to enter draft out of HS. This gives them time to look at other methods that could be better alternates for developing and paying these kids. I don't think it is popular in the players union that an 18 year old who gets drafted number 1 and spends 1-2 years being developed gets millions.
I watch almost all of the NBA Summer League games that are televised, to see the best young players in the world. This is a glimpse of what the G-League could become, and could be even better than NBA Sumner League, with millions of dollars to rookies and 2nd or 3rd year players that are still trying to develop, and that are still younger than most college Seniors.

Maybe when kids start to realize that $125,000 might not stretch so far once they pay for a personal trainer and pro gym and an accountant and a nutritionist and travel to/from games. Not to mention, it is back to the crib and not the college lounge. No free education either. No all you can eat.

Maybe a scholarship doesn't sound so bad.

Agree. If you take even the top 15 players out every year it will really hurt the product on the court. I don’t want to see that. It would hurt a whole lot more than just letting kids go straight to the nba.

It would hurt maybe 10 schools, tops. The game would be fine. And also, there is a big assumption here that the top kids would all be American. They wouldn't.

Once you lure players you start getting Thon Maker and Dante Exum to go along with the US kids.

Maybe when kids start to realize that $125,000 might not stretch so far once they pay for a personal trainer and pro gym and an accountant and a nutritionist and travel to/from games. Not to mention, it is back to the crib and not the college lounge. No free education either. No all you can eat.

Maybe a scholarship doesn't sound so bad.
Its the NBA$$$!! The NBA partnering with Big Shoe will quickly up that amount if they need to, and completely junk the current G-League in favor of a new league, primarily a Rookie and U22 League, with big time salaries and shoe deals. The NBA will like it because they can control it, and market it, and and Big Shoe will love it also as they will not need to hide any payments. Big Shoe is only interested in the elite youth players that might turn into the next Kobe or Lebron. Its all about finding the next generation superstar to market their shoes and hip apparel products to an adoring world wide fanbase built up since they were in High School. Thank you ESPN! Reducing the number of Assistant Coaches and boosters acting as middle man bag-men.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeToMakeTwo
It would hurt maybe 10 schools, tops. The game would be fine. And also, there is a big assumption here that the top kids would all be American. They wouldn't.

Once you lure players you start getting Thon Maker and Dante Exum to go along with the US kids.
Those 10 schools dominate college basketball, and are fun to watch!

What do they do when a top kid or 3 choose college while a lower ranked kid opts for the money?

I have no problem with choices. I think it allows xolleges to do what they do. The spirit and fun will be there. The support. Fans. Coaches. Kids who can write their own name will still choose college, and the shoe companies know they can market players better if they aren't complete dolts. Point being, unless the NBA truly controlled development ala USA basketball, the money could not be thrown at the G-league like that.
There is a Steph Curry for about every 3 Eric Gordons.

What do they do when a top kid or 3 choose college while a lower ranked kid opts for the money?

I have no problem with choices. I think it allows xolleges to do what they do. The spirit and fun will be there. The support. Fans. Coaches. Kids who can write their own name will still choose college, and the shoe companies know they can market players better if they aren't complete dolts. Point being, unless the NBA truly controlled development ala USA basketball, the money could not be thrown at the G-league like that.
This is all in the past. USA Basketball and the NBA is trying to control this. It is not about the education. It is about the risk. Smart kids will choose the money rather than risk injury and never cashing in for millions of $$$ upon their talent and hard work. College will be for lesser talents who will have a college degree to fall back on if they don't magically develop in 4 years into a NBA player. If this comes true, then most NBA All-Stars of the future will never play college basketball, and that to me is very sad, and will definitely hurt college basketball.

Last edited:
This will defintely change the landscape of college basketball, and mid majors will challenge blue bloods as players ranked 50 and up are more closely related in talent than the top 30. Its a bell curve. The top 30 are the elite, the difference makers that USA Basketball is trying to identify and classify at a young age to groom and develop for national teams. And the NBA and Big Shoe covet to sell $$$.

What happens when a lower ranked kid tries to go the G-League route and the G-League doesn't want them?

Did Lebron James and Kobe Bryant going straight to the NBA hurt NCAAB's popularity? I don't think it did and neither did all those other high school stars going directly into the NBA when it was allowed. There might be some more that go into the G League but I think this won't hurt college basketball's popularity even a little.

Reactions: IndyAuthor
Getting exposed in the G-League will cost a player way more than the $125k they would earn. It is a much safer bet to play for a year in college and avoid the bus trips, three star hotels, and teammates who have zero interest in seeing you do well.

Darius Bazley initially opted for the G-League but realized he risked getting exposed by 25 year old men and decided to hire a trainer for a year and enter the draft in 2019.

Last edited:
The quantity of elite players entering a restructured G-League durectly out of HS will determine how much an impact the new rule will make when they allow players to declare for the G-League directly out of HS. If USA Basketball and the NBA don't change the G-League to allow big salaries and injury risk protection then it will have minimal impact. If the G-League gets dumped and a completely new USA Badketball/NBA Development League geys put in itself place luring over 30 players a year out of HS, and another 30 or more after a year of college. Those would have been the stars of college basketball siphoned off into a development league with big salaries.

Last edited:
Getting exposed in the G-League will cost a player way more than the $125k they would earn. It is a much safer bet to play for a year in college and avoid the bus trips, three star hotels, and teammates who have zero interest in seeing you do well.

Darius Bazley initially opted for the G-League but realized he risked getting exposed by 25 year old men and decided to hire a trainer for a year and enter the draft in 2019.
G-League isn't structured right yet for one-and-done rule change in a few years. G-League is not a good option right now, but that could change drastically if USA Basketball and NBA are directly involved.

You have stated multiple times that freshmen don’t have that much of an impact in college basketball. Now college basketball will suffer if they lose the top 15 players?

Take a look at the top 15 players (rivals rankings) from last year.

• little impact -M. Porter Jr., M. Robinson, B. Preston, B. McCoy
  • impacted their teams- Jackson (5th leading scorer) and Brown (4th leading scorer/missed the tourney)
  • major impact-Ayton, Sexton, Bamba- All were the best players on their teams
  • Duke and Kentucky had the remaining 6 players on their teams

I would argue only 5 teams were significantly impacted by a top 15 player and not a single one of the teams made the Final Four and only 2 of them made the SW16 (Duke and Kentucky). Duke and Kentucky will simply change their recruiting strategy and won't miss a beat. They will still have two of the largest fan bases in the country. The change will have very little impact on college basketball. They NBA would have already have a minor league if they could make money off of it. The reason it hasn't happened is because people don't want to watch it. The D-league will continue to a league that people watch in the summers ,occasionally, when nothing else is on.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT