ADVERTISEMENT

G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to college 1-and-done route

Will be interesting to see how much of a success this is. Conceivably, most of these types of players will have/ had more lucrative one year options over seas already.

You can't put a price on convenience though, and you'd imagine it's better exposure than playing for Igor from the Eastern Bloc.

Reactions: GregHaggard
This is exactly what i predicted would happen. I have interest in both G-League and college basketball if this happens. The Top HS talent will never play college basketball again. This will hurt college basketball $$. Personally I like to enjoy watching the top talent available, HS, College, NBA. G-League could siphon off a a significant amount to a majority of the McDonald's HS AA players. Those that decide to go to college now will be Big Fish in little pond. The G-League might overtake College basketball for the top talent not on a NBA roster. I will definitely not be as excited to watch college basketball without the top level NBA talent. It would severely diminish the college basketball product on the floor.

Last edited:
Reactions: GregHaggard
Reactions: IUgradman
PU should rejoice in this ruling if it happens, and they seldom have one-and-done talent. Puts PU on a more level playing field talent-wise.

125K for a 1 year NBA tryout playing against grown men who want that same job.

Good Luck, fellas.
G-League will give them the year to physically mature and get paid while doing it, with a severe injury insurance policy.

Right.

Even if hoops doesn't work out a career at Cook, Lilly or wholesaling some medical device is worth way more than this.
Maybe NBA will provide college scholarship money to take the risk away.

G-League will give them the year to physically mature and get paid while doing it, with a severe injury insurance policy.

Maybe. That will certainly be the scenario for some of them. Others will go and get their butts kicked and get exposed.

We'll see.

This is exactly what i predicted would happen. I have interest in both G-League and college basketball if this happens. The Top HS talent will never play college basketball again. This will hurt college basketball $$. Personally I like to enjoy watching the top talent available, HS, College, NBA. G-League could siphon off a a significant amount to a majority of the McDonald's HS AA players. Those that decide to go to college now will be Big Fish in little pond. The G-League might overtake College basketball for the top talent not on a NBA roster. I will definitely not be as excited to watch college basketball without the top level NBA talent. It would severely diminish the college basketball product on the floor.

Really? Nothing could interest me less than watching a bunch of 1 year wonders who have no concept of team, scrimmage as auditions for the NBA for a year. What horrible bball that will be... and then teams will lose their best players to the NBA. Bad basketball doesn't interest me that much.

What's it going to be up against, figure skating? Scratch that, one thing could interest me less....

Last edited:
Maybe NBA will provide college scholarship money to take the risk away.

They will provide academic opportunities/scholarships but I can't imagine a scenario where they'd offer anything that would "take the risk away"

PU should rejoice in this ruling if it happens, and they seldom have one-and-done talent. Puts PU on a more level playing field talent-wise.

The players that would normally go to pu would choose a higher profile school. The broilees will have to settle for an even less talented player than they do now. Oh, to be a broilee, just can't get a break. : )

Reactions: hoosier48

The top college programs have elite strength and conditioning programs and their players are treated much better than G-League players. There is no Oladipo Zeller Players Lounge in the G-League. A skinny 18 year old kid going up against a 25 year old former Second Team All-BIG player won’t end well for the teenager.

I disagree that it will have that much of an impact on college basketball. To put it bluntly, most freshmen basketball players have little impact on the game. Losing a few dozen players each year will not hurt college basketball. In some ways it will improve college basketball. I would much rather watch a senior laden team play over a Kentucky or Duke with 3 or 4 true freshmen.

Personally, I hope they get rid of the one and done rule and force kids to make a 3 year (I’d settle for 2) commitment to college if they choose to go that route.

Last edited:
Shoe endorsements will make up for the 'paltry' $125G.

Frankly, anything which rids the world of the idiotic 'school reveal' press conferences can only be good for mankind.

Reactions: herrli
Not really, they will always stay behind in recruiting. It would probably give them less talent as big schools will go after lesser talent...

The players that would normally go to pu would choose a higher profile school. The broilees will have to settle for an even less talented player than they do now. Oh, to be a broilee, just can't get a break. : )
Replied before I saw this....very true!

If you siphon off the talented freshmen then you will never have top tier upperclassmen. It will turn into Mid-Major basketball. Still entertaining, but if I have a chance to watch A clash of top 5 players Barrett, Zion, Reddish vs Romeo I woud watch that game G-League or Major College over mid-tier talent masquerading as a major college game.

If you siphon off the talented freshmen then you will never have top tier upperclassmen. It will turn into Mid-Major basketball. Still entertaining, but if I have a chance to watch A clash of top 5 players Barrett, Zion, Reddish vs Romeo I woud watch that game G-League or Major College over mid-tier talent masquerading as a major college game.

You do you. But streaming games from a half empty gym in Reno at 2:00 in the afternoon seems boring to me.

The 1976 IU and 1968, 72 UCLA Teams will never be challenged as a hypothetical greatest of all time team. As none of those historically great players Benson, May, Buckner, Wilerson, Alcindor/Jabbar, Walton, ever make it to their Senior year in today's NBA talent market. That to me is sad. But how can you take away the opportunity to make money while they are young and healthy.

You do you. But streaming games from a half empty gym in Reno at 2:00 in the afternoon seems boring to me.
This would change G-League into prime time ESPN, with #1 announcing crew to a National TV audience. Regional Sports stations can broadcast the no talent left games to a local audience.

Last edited:
Hahaha. No it won't.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
The sports news media will follow the talent. I am hoping it will only be about 7 to 10 Top Tier NBA Talent players a year if so it would be be minimal impact. If there is general disgrintlement with college basketball from not being paid to play, college making big $$$ money off of me lawsuit, I could definitely see the Prep School players who are wooed from top AAU team, to top Prep School, to G-League all in reagard to the fast track being paid to play and the NBA then you could be looking at double that number. If you took the top 20 to 25 kids each year, basically all the McDonalds AA kids, almost all of which are HS Prep School Players. That would change the talent level in major college basketball. ESPN is broadcasting games that feature McD AA players, not the kids that need developing. If ESPN hypes Zion for a year in HS they are going to broadcast his game in either the G-League or at Duke the following year.

Last edited:
Hahaha. No it won't.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
But, maybe, though. Probably a future NBA contract with networks might include these games ... not that the d League gets a lot of coverage but I never sell short the curious actions of people with wads of cash.

The sports news media will follow the talent. I am hoping it will only be about 7 to 10 Top Tier NBA Talent players a year if so it would be be minimal impact. If there is general disgrintlement with college basketball from not being paid to play, college making big $$$ money off of me lawsuit, i could definitely see the Prep School players who ate wooed from top AAU team, to top Prep School, to G-League all in reagard to the fast track being paid to play and the NBA then you coukd be looking at double to triple that. If you took the top 20 to 25 kids each year, basrvally all the McDonalds AA kids, almost all of which are HS Prep School Players.

You said it. Minimal Impact.

The league has 27 teams. 7 to 10 players going up against Lorenzo Brown and Vander Blue won't move the needle much. It damn sure won't get ESPN Prime Time treatment.

I still think if these kids are really playing the long game they will go to college. $125K doesn't mean squat to the types of talents you're talking about. Just my opinion. I honestly don't care what they do one way or the other.

I don't see the problem. This is a bridge to the NBA drafting kids out of HS presumably in 2022. Maybe this is a better plan for the kids.

The NCAA needs to loosen it's status on what constitutes eligibility. If a kid goes to G-League and plays 1 year for 125k, he loses 1 year of eligibility for 1 year of G-League ball. I know there are other issues to be worked out like agents and how many years past HS before fully ineligible. Maybe this rule could be in effect for up to 2 years out of HS with some earnings cap.

I know it is a different sport but Kyler Murray earned a million+ dollars from the A's while playing college football.

But, maybe, though. Probably a future NBA contract with networks might include these games ... not that the d League gets a lot of coverage but I never sell short the curious actions of people with wads of cash.

What would those networks be buying? The possibility of the best handful of High School kids showing up to play and turning over every year?

Better yet....who will watch it?

People with wads of cash want more wads. Or bigger wads. They aren't stupid.

The sports news media will follow the talent. I am hoping it will only be about 7 to 10 Top Tier NBA Talent players a year if so it would be be minimal impact. If there is general disgrintlement with college basketball from not being paid to play, college making big $$$ money off of me lawsuit, I could definitely see the Prep School players who are wooed from top AAU team, to top Prep School, to G-League all in reagard to the fast track being paid to play and the NBA then you could be looking at double that number. If you took the top 20 to 25 kids each year, basically all the McDonalds AA kids, almost all of which are HS Prep School Players. That would change the talent level in major college basketball. ESPN is broadcasting games that feature McD AA players, not the kids that need developing. If ESPN hypes Zion for a year in HS they are going to broadcast his game in either the G-League or at Duke the following year.

...and they'll stop when nobody watches. Nobody watches the D league. Nobody's watching it with a few extra players they aren't very familiar with that aren't donning their schools colors. If they draw 5% greater viewership... congrats, now there are 1,575 in the arena vs 1500... and 2000 extra viewers. Ain't movin' no ones meter. U wanna watch bad basketball? Have at it. I, and most of the rest of the sports world won't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT