ADVERTISEMENT

Frustrations from last night.

Palmbeachhoosier

All-Big Ten
Aug 13, 2016
Delray Beach, FL
So many things went against IU before the game even started.
1. Why did we have to go to Nebraska again.
2. We play a team that fires their coach and they get a bye week the week before.
3. We have to play without our top 2 receivers. With a quarterback who has struggled to find consistency.

Self inflicted wounds
1. We come out with no enthusiasm especially to match their enthusiasm and intensity. Not good for a team that thrives on spirit and enthusiasm.
2. We take way too long to get up to game speed. It sh not take an entire quarter to get there.
3. The offensive line plays with no effort at all. I have defended them too long. The play that finally sealed it for me we throw a pass into the flats and our left tackle is running half speed. The receiver cuts back and if the guy were going full speed he might have been able to get a block.
4 Please try something different on the o line. Bigger splits. We have a short corner for edge defenders to get to the quarterback. I know we already have a propensity for giving up the inside to rushers but still. Try something. Bigger splits mean possibly bigger gaps. Our offensive line don’t necessarily need to get a push just a seal. We already know they are not getting a push. Next stay on your block until the whistle. Hell even if you miss a block go get someone else don’t just stop and turn around and become another defender that our backs need to try to avoid.
4. please give the ball to Josh Henderson more. I love Shivers but he is the change of pace guy. Let Henderson wear them defense down and the Shivers is the guy who can hit the home run. Also please find a way to get Lucas on the field and get him in space.
5. Please I keep saying please find a way to hold backside pursuit to keep them from running down plays front side.
6. The only thing I will say about the defense is pass rush psss rush pass rush pass rush. It is the quickest way to make the secondary more effective.

After 5 games it is frustrating to watch this team play. Try some different approach IE don't be the team that snaps the ball the quickest in the country, replace some on the OL to get younger talent on the field, find a way to get passes to our TE as Barner is one of our better receivers, Lucas needs to get more touches in the game, find a more accurate QB, on and on.

Agree on Barner being used more, but it’s quite obvious this OL needs a 2nd TE on the field A LOT!! IDC that Bell’s O hasn’t historically used one or not!! He better get a 2nd TE on the field to help out RT Hanna pronto. The lack of protection and push by the whole OL, esp the RT is constantly putting the O behind the chains, collapsing the pocket early, and CB isn’t mobile or accurate enough to overcome that. It’s hard to believe Sales or any of the other 2nd and 3rd year back-up OL could be less ready to play than the D2 transfer. Again, total indictment of Hiller if that’s the case!! Shivers isn’t strong enough to make his own holes between the tackles when there’s so little daylight to run between.

Agree on Lucas too, but he has to be used on the perimeter, not between the tackles. Does this O EVER call for something run OUTSIDE THE TACKLES?!?! Shivers one big run at UC happened when he bounced one outside on his own.

Every other squad that went against Neb this year had their way with their D, particularly in the 2nd half. Save for 2 drives in the 2nd qtr, IU O did nothing.

Last edited:
It was great to see Lucas’s speed on display in the second quarter. Apparently we felt sorry for Nebraska and decided to not involve Lucas (at all) in the second half.
Allen said a lot of this in his post game pressser. What does he do to INSIST things like getting Lucas, Barner & Henderson more involved?

And Baze has his moments, but he does not show me great consistency in passing. Can we see Tuttle a few series? OR try the QB from Georgia who is cleary more mobile which may be needed with this current OL.

Allen said a lot of this in his post game pressser. What does he do to INSIST things like getting Lucas, Barner & Henderson more involved?

And Baze has his moments, but he does not show me great consistency in passing. Can we see Tuttle a few series? OR try the QB from Georgia who is cleary more mobile which may be needed with this current OL.
He is too busy being a lunatic on the sidelines to pay attention to what is going on in the game?

I like the idea of Dexter Williams seeing some plays in obvious run situations. If he could pass the ball at all, seems we’d have seen by now.

Does the McCulley Wildcat play bring anything?? Hasn’t thus far other than a run right into the line for no more than 2 yards, if that. McCulley has shown no ability to make defenders miss either when running out of this formation. It’s a total waste of a play.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Palmbeach wrote, “Next stay on your block until the whistle. Hell even if you miss a block go get someone else don’t just stop and turn around and become another defender that our backs need to try to avoid.”

I know next to nothing about football strategy/tactics/technique, and additionally get to see almost none of our games, but this is simply beyond belief. Isn’t this a matter of effort? I mean, shouldn’t a coach refuse to accept this at the high school or even middle school level?

After 5 games it is frustrating to watch this team play. Try some different approach IE don't be the team that snaps the ball the quickest in the country, replace some on the OL to get younger talent on the field, find a way to get passes to our TE as Barner is one of our better receivers, Lucas needs to get more touches in the game, find a more accurate QB, on and on.
I'm with you on Barner. You would think that being 2 receivers down, You would utilize the tight end more or run some 2 tight end sets maybe with Barner as a Slotback or H Back. Maybe run some two tight end sets with an unbalanced line to change things and force the Defense to adjust their alignment.

Maybe I missed something last night but I don't recall seeing McCully on the field or catching a pass at any point in the game.

We had 168 hours to figure out the first offensive play. We obviously did not use those hours wisely as we got hammered with a delay of game penalty. Duh.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don't understand Bazelak's extreme inaccuracy. He had issues in Missouri, but not with this.
In his worst season at Mizzou he completed 65% of his passes. Here? An atrocious 52%.
He either needs to get it together and find some consistency or it should be Dexter Williams time.
NOT Tuttle. Been there, done that, and seen that it will definitely not be any better with him.

There were at least two, and probably more like three or four, wide open deep shots that he just straight-up missed. You connect on even one of those and it changes the game entirely. One of the biggest differences in the game I've not seen anyone bring up is that Thompson hit his open guys downfield and Bazelak didn't.
And while I've given him slack in other games because of the O-Line, the pass pro was not THAT BAD last night.

I don't understand Bazelak's extreme inaccuracy. He had issues in Missouri, but not with this.
In his worst season at Mizzou he completed 65% of his passes. Here? An atrocious 52%.
He either needs to get it together and find some consistency or it should be Dexter Williams time.
NOT Tuttle. Been there, done that, and seen that it will definitely not be any better with him.

There were at least two, and probably more like three or four, wide open deep shots that he just straight-up missed. You connect on even one of those and it changes the game entirely. One of the biggest differences in the game I've not seen anyone bring up is that Thompson hit his open guys downfield and Bazelak didn't.
And while I've given him slack in other games because of the O-Line, the pass pro was not THAT BAD last night.
To break it down. We got Mizzou's misfit toy in the Transfer portal, while they got theirs from Texas, Any Questions? it's like shopping in the discount bargain aisle of Your local thrift store, as opposed to the full price aisle (with a store Discout applied) at JC Penney.

It’s hard to be accurate when you don’t get to set your feet.

I think the difference is purely the IU OL. His % was consistently at 65-66% while at Mo.

He must have had 8 throw-aways against Nebraska and 6 or so v. Cincy.. Prior to that....maybe an average of 5 per game? So maybe 30 this year? Add another 30 or so where he was pressured so much he had no realistic shot to complete the pass. That's 60 wasted attempts. If he completes 40 of those (66%) he's at 69% for the year.

Tuttle might have gotten to his 56% career average.....but he probably would have been knocked out of action by now.

Let me throw out another frustration from last night. Number 9 for Us, Brian Lanier is either a transfer from Bama or from Tuscaloosa. Late in the game, we are receiving a kickoff that is not being returned, but He gets into an altercation with a Nebraska Player at the 3 0 Yard Line and gets a 15 yard Personal Foul Penalty on an uncontested play that moves the ball from the 25 yard Line to the 10 costing Us yardage and opportunity.

i'll bet His parents are so proud of Him getting his name in the box Score for a cement Head 4 th Quarter penalty that may have cost Us the opportunity to get back in the game. if it Were up to Me, he wouldn't see the field for the rest of the Year. If You can't play with intelligence and game knowledge, You don't play for Me.

The only thing we have seen with Tuttle was being coached by bad QB/OC. Tuttle and Bazelak were neck and neck this Fall but Bazelak was chosen for a more catchable ball. Why coach Bell doesn't put Tuttle in when Bazelak is struggling is beyond me. Its not like Bazelak is accurate most of the time and lets see him on the field during those times. I wouldn't mind seeing Williams either to see how he handles the pressure. People blame his inaccuracy on the pressure the line gives up but even with no pressure he misses receivers not even being close to completing a pass. There was a reason Missouri was replacing him and this is why along with holding the ball too long.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT