ADVERTISEMENT

Front court threesome

Jssanto

All-American
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans
Just looking at the minutes played in the Harvard game, and making a guess, Ware, Reneau, and Mgbako each played over thirty minutes. Any guesses on which big will step in the most?
Sparks is big but played only 4 minutes. Somebody said he was slower. Is that correct?
I thought Walker looked good. Looked athletic and could score.
Not sure yet about Banks.

Just looking at the minutes played in the Harvard game, and making a guess, Ware, Reneau, and Mgbako each played over thirty minutes. Any guesses on which big will step in the most?
Sparks is big but played only 4 minutes. Somebody said he was slower. Is that correct?
Ware, Reneau, Mgbako, Banks, and Walker will play the majority of the 120 minutes available to the 3-5 positions.

When X is healthy, Galloway and/or Gunn will play some minutes here and there at the 3, when X and Cupps are on the floor together...and Sparks will play here and there too...but in terms of main rotation, crunch time minutes, 3 of those guys from above will be on the floor in the 3-5 spots.

30+ minutes for both Ware and Reneau
20-25 for Mgbako (if he's defending well)
15-20 for Banks
10-15 for Walker

5-10 from Sparks or smaller 3 men.

I would run the opponents best scorer off hard Sparks screens multiple times a possession.

MM bringing it up to initiate the offense was an interesting wrinkle I never saw coming.
Intrigued to see how/who we have initiating the offense going forward. In the Harvard game we had X, Gabe, Gallo, Mack, and even Malik doing it. Little things like that can be an effective way to promote different types of movement and matchups. And while I think X as our PG is overall the best choice, the ball does die in his hands early in possessions at times, having him start off the ball can help get us moving earlier in possessions.

Definitely down for some clean, hard screening action on other teams best players. No clue if Woody does things like this...I suspect he probably does, at times.

Intrigued to see how/who we have initiating the offense going forward. In the Harvard game we had X, Gabe, Gallo, Mack, and even Malik doing it. Little things like that can be an effective way to promote different types of movement and matchups. And while I think X as our PG is overall the best choice, the ball does die in his hands early in possessions at times, having him start off the ball can help get us moving earlier in possessions.

Definitely down for some clean, hard screening action on other teams best players. No clue if Woody does things like this...I suspect he probably does, at times.
We were much better offensively in the second half without X

I would run the opponents best scorer off hard Sparks screens multiple times a possession.

MM bringing it up to initiate the offense was an interesting wrinkle I never saw coming.

That certainly seemed to spark MM's offensive game. Would like to see that same spark without that, as he doesn't seem like a strong enough ball handler for that to be effective against better opponents.

One of Walker or Sparks should have been a guard that can shoot/create a shot. Walker does have nice size and athleticism, but shouldn't shoot outside of 10 feet.

Yeah, one thing Ware doesn't do well is screen. Seems too eager to get into his roll or pop, but he doesn't get into the defender and leaves gaps that they can get through.

We were much better offensively in the second half without X
Too small of a sample size. We're not a better team without X, is the most simple way to put it. Ball movement might be better in some ways, but his contributions other places far outweigh that.

Reactions: kkott
Too small of a sample size. We're not a better team without X, is the most simple way to put it. Ball movement might be better in some ways, but his contributions other places far outweigh that.
I’m not an X fan. Guard play was much better last year with JHS and Trey vs X and Trey this year

When X went down and showed up with ice on his foot, then Malik had a back spasm or whatever, I'm looking at our bench and thinking DAAAAYAAAMM. We start every game with 11 scholarship players (if you include Leal) - so really 10. Then 2 go down. We're at 8 players. How the hell is this possible at a place like IU?

When X went down and showed up with ice on his foot, then Malik had a back spasm or whatever, I'm looking at our bench and thinking DAAAAYAAAMM. We start every game with 11 scholarship players (if you include Leal) - so really 10. Then 2 go down. We're at 8 players. How the hell is this possible at a place like IU?
Kansas currently has 9 scholarship players on this year's roster. How is that possible at a place like Kansas?

*eyeroll*

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT