ADVERTISEMENT

From X, so take with a 20# block of salt...

B1G would love to have all the viewers ND would bring

I realize the B1G wants ND, but I don't really care what happens to them if college football breaks into 2 major conferences or if the NCAA goes away.

If they want to play in the new SEC, good luck keeping fans when they're in the middle of B1G country.

I feel like they will have items that are both on and off the listed agenda.

On the public agenda....how to work out NIL/employment issues, coming up with some structure to replace the NCAA enforcement mechanism, freeing basketball from NCAA control.....

On the unlisted agenda.....how to divide up the ACC, how to best screw over the ACC and Big 12 with the playoff structure and $s, how to best consolidate their power administratively............
So our NCAA championships will be looked at as Helms Trophies?

Reactions: red hornet
Lots of great thoughts here. It will be interesting to see how much weight UFs likely opposition to adding FSU to the SEC will matter.

You know, I think it's a truism that "the SEC doesn't really want FSU'". Why would you want another football power when you already have TX, OK, Bama, Auburn, LSU, TN, FLA, A&M,, GA? And schools like MSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kentucky--not chopped liver and lots of fan interest v. IU, Purdue, ILL, NW, RU, MD. FSU does draw some TV eyeballs, and there's the rivalry with Florida,......But the main reason the SEC will want FSU is because they are 1. far more valuable to the BT, in that Florida would be a new and huge market and 2. would move the BT closer to the SEC in football power. So more of a defensive v. offensive move. UNC would be, I would think, a more interesting addition for them---academic powerhouse, large & new TV market, basketball blueblood, and a football program that is neither a powerhouse or a drag. The problem with UNC is that they might want to bring other schools along that are of less interest to the SEC.

I think whether FLA wants FSU or not will be of very little concern to the SEC or ESPN...........other than it might help facilitate an 'arrangement' between the SEC/ESPN and BT/FOX whereby UNC goes to the SEC and FSU ends up in the BT.

I realize the B1G wants ND, but I don't really care what happens to them if college football breaks into 2 major conferences or if the NCAA goes away.

If they want to play in the new SEC, good luck keeping fans when they're in the middle of B1G country.

ND has made a lot of moves out of pure hatred for the BT, but I can't see them going to the SEC. Who knows, I guess, but seems very unlikely.

I think ultimately the BT will swallow some pride and offer a few scheduling concessions to try to lure them into the BT, along the lines of playing their traditional rivals of UM, USC, Purdue, MSU more frequently.....but I doubt it will be successful. They have found a way around every BT move and I expect they will do so in the future as well.

Reactions: red hornet and DANC
ND has made a lot of moves out of pure hatred for the BT, but I can't see them going to the SEC. Who knows, I guess, but seems very unlikely.

I think ultimately the BT will swallow some pride and offer a few scheduling concessions to try to lure them into the BT, along the lines of playing their traditional rivals of UM, USC, Purdue, MSU more frequently.....but I doubt it will be successful. They have found a way around every BT move and I expect they will do so in the future as well.
Defiance will probably hurt them some.

I think a super conference, analogous to the NFL, is a definite possibility. Then again, the parity it brings may lead people to say what is the difference between college FB and the NFL and that might turn a fair number of fans off. Too early to say. I think there are milestones between where we are now and then. We can't be certain how much a national championship tournament will drive $$$. Also, the issue of changing the equal shares of Media Rights $$ model is a future likelihood.

Do you know the model for success in the world of sports is the NFL which elected to have equal revenue sharing many years ago because it had worked in the Big Ten.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT