ADVERTISEMENT

From X, so take with a 20# block of salt...

The UNC vs. Virginia vs. Miami scrum for what will likely be B1G's last addition (assuming FSU gets in) will be fascinating to watch.

In the above, I'm obviously assuming ND will not join the B1G...hopefully I'm wrong.

Thanks goodness we are in the B1G.

I wonder how this will all affect Notre Dame. At some point would the B1G and SEC start to freeze them out?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Thanks goodness we are in the B1G.

I wonder how this will all affect Notre Dame. At some point would the B1G and SEC start to freeze them out?
I agree. I've been a broken record on here that the B1G and SEC will eventually succeed from thr NCAA. That will force ND to choose a conference or be left out. Everyone said I was full of sh!#. Suddenly we're starting to see the smoke on all of those things.

Last edited:
I agree. I've been a broken record on here that the B1G and SEC will eventually succeed from thr NCAA. That will force ND to choose a conference or be left out. Everyone said I was full of sh!#. Suddenly we're starting to see the smoke on all of those things.
The pushback most people had(I think) was the super conference. One conference with all the big boys. To me that would be dumb. You still need wins. Still need the basement dwellers. I think if the SEC and B1G do leave then they still need another conference. The B1G 12 just might be it.

The pushback most people had(I think) was the super conference. One conference with all the big boys. To me that would be dumb. You still need wins. Still need the basement dwellers. I think if the SEC and B1G do leave then they still need another conference. The B1G 12 just might be it.
Your basement dwellers will happen to teams in the big conferences. Ala IU, Maryland, Vanderbilt...etc. You know, the teams that are already bottom dwelling.

• Sad
Your basement dwellers will happen to teams in the big conferences. Ala IU, Maryland, Vanderbilt...etc. You know, the teams that are already bottom dwelling.
That’s what I’m saying. If it’s just one super conference like top 30 in one big league(like some have said) then that would be dumb.

That’s what I’m saying. If it’s just one super conference like top 30 in one big league(like some have said) then that would be dumb.

It’s all about eyeballs on t.v.’s and a superconference without any fluff would have marquee matchups every weekend. If it brings in more dollars, that would be a compelling reason.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what logic you're utilizing to justify it being dumb. The purpose is to share the money amongst just 30 teams instead of 133. The only thing driving decisions is money and until people are able to grasp how basic that concept is, they will struggle to understand their logic has no bearing this conversation.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what logic you're utilizing to justify it being dumb. The purpose is to share the money amongst just 30 teams instead of 133. The only thing driving decisions is money and until people are able to grasp how basic that concept is, they will struggle to understand their logic has no bearing this conversation.
Because it will kill historic teams imho. Once a team starts losing consistently anyway. I think 2 super conferences make more sense in that regard. 20ish teams apiece. That to me makes way more sense.

I think a super conference, analogous to the NFL, is a definite possibility. Then again, the parity it brings may lead people to say what is the difference between college FB and the NFL and that might turn a fair number of fans off. Too early to say. I think there are milestones between where we are now and then. We can't be certain how much a national championship tournament will drive $$$. Also, the issue of changing the equal shares of Media Rights $$ model is a future likelihood.

Because it will kill historic teams imho. Once a team starts losing consistently anyway. I think 2 super conferences make more sense in that regard. 20ish teams apiece. That to me makes way more sense.
I don't think it will be just one conference, I didn't mean to infer that, so I apologize if I did. I do think it will be 2 separate conferences, the SEC and B1G who both collectively go away from the NCAA and work together to further corner the market. They can only go so far but I imagine it will be closer to 24 team conferences and each conference possibly divided up into 2 separate divisions. That's so hard to even suggest since they have so many things to decide to even get to that point.

The worst part is just like with current corporate America, it utilizes loopholes in regulations around monopolies to in fact create a monopoly. In doing so, they create a far inferior product compared to what it once was. Think of all these companies that have removed competition through acquisition and offered low-cost products based on their ability to mass produce and ship at a lower cost and price out small businesses. They "lean" out all of their processes to try and lower costs while maximizing their own profits. They essentially try to get juice out of a raisin. That logic works in the short term but over time the lesser product turns clients away and eventually cannibalizes their product.

Therefore, I should be clear, I am not in favor of these moves I am just saying that if you take a step back and remove our fan opinions that seem like obvious bad moves from a fan perspective and just look at it through the lens of a corporation looking to maximize their profits, you can see it more clearly and know it's just a matter of time.

I think a super conference, analogous to the NFL, is a definite possibility. Then again, the parity it brings may lead people to say what is the difference between college FB and the NFL and that might turn a fair number of fans off. Too early to say. I think there are milestones between where we are now and then. We can't be certain how much a national championship tournament will drive $$$. Also, the issue of changing the equal shares of Media Rights $$ model is a future likelihood.
I agree completely. It will be to the detriment of the product over time. The top tier schools can only remove so many programs before they remove too many fans who have held an interest and make the sport popular. A team like IU isn't going to get relegated out unless there's another program they find is a better replacement to fill that spot. It's not that you need bottom dwellers but its guaranteed some programs will stand out and others will become a bottom dweller. If you took the top 12 teams in the country and made a conference out of them, you are guaranteed to slowly have a group of those teams fall off and become bottom dwellers based on the fact that someone has to win and someone has to lose.

I agree completely. It will be to the detriment of the product over time. The top tier schools can only remove so many programs before they remove too many fans who have held an interest and make the sport popular. A team like IU isn't going to get relegated out unless there's another program they find is a better replacement to fill that spot. It's not that you need bottom dwellers but it’s guaranteed some programs will stand out and others will become a bottom dweller. If you took the top 12 teams in the country and made a conference out of them, you are guaranteed to slowly have a group of those teams fall off and become bottom dwellers based on the fact that someone has to win and someone has to lose.
I think the committee/advisory board the B1G and SEC have created will try to address those things(we hope).

I think the committee/advisory board the B1G and SEC have created will try to address those things(we hope).
Yeah, I think its just their first step into the waters together. They won't just step to a mic and announce they are succeeding. They will move slowly to get their voices to lead the room and gauge how best to move forward.

I like the idea of pulling out the top 30 or 40 (or whatever number) of schools for football only and let them be their own minor league.

I like Chip Kelly's idea of CFB conferences.

“You can have a 64-team conference that’s in the Power Five and you can have a 64-team conference in the Group of Five, and we separate it and we play each other. You can have the West Coast teams and then every year, we play seven games against the West Coast teams and then we play the East.

“So we play Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, West Virginia and Virginia. Then the next year, you play against the South while you still play your seven teams."

So Indiana is in the Midwest playing 7 teams within that conference and rotate the other conferences every year for their other 5 games.

I like Chip Kelly's idea of CFB conferences.

“You can have a 64-team conference that’s in the Power Five and you can have a 64-team conference in the Group of Five, and we separate it and we play each other. You can have the West Coast teams and then every year, we play seven games against the West Coast teams and then we play the East.

“So we play Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, West Virginia and Virginia. Then the next year, you play against the South while you still play your seven teams."

So Indiana is in the Midwest playing 7 teams within that conference and rotate the other conferences every year for their other 5 games.
We could add all teams into the big ten, rename big ten to replace ncaa and then create divisions called big ten, sec, acc, pac 12, big 12 etc

we will set aside the first 3 weeks to be non-division games

All comes full circle

...but this source says FSU teed up for B1G once legal issues resolved (miles to go on that).

I follow the expansion rumors on a variety of sites. I believe this guy's take to be BT-centric in terms of FSU's final destination. I think the SEC is still the favorite.

No doubt FSU is still pissed at the SEC & ESPN for the play-off snub. So....if FSU was to leave today the BT would be the likely destination. I don't think that will be the decision 2-4 years from now, and I expect this matter won't be resolved earlier than that. It's complicated.

When there were rumors of Texas to the BT years ago, the UT President was asked about it. He said something to the effect of "Why would i want to send the softball team to Minnesota in February". There was never any serious thought of Texas to the BT. I think when things calm down FSU will reach the same conclusion.

With respect to academics....the SEC isn't what it used to be in that regard. Florida, Georgia, Texas, and A&M are all 50ish or better in the US News & WR ratings, all resulting from migration to the south from the north. That trend is going to continue. Schools like FSU, UCF and USF are making leaps in enrollment and selectivity. Why would FSU buck this geographic trend when all of their potential rivals are in the SEC? Do you think FSU fans would prefer playing USC and Michigan on a regular basis, or Florida and Georgia? What about the FSU fans and the player's families. Would they prefer to drive to Florida or fly to southern California?

$ wise, the projections are that down the road the SEC will be somewhat more profitable than the BT.....by about $10M/year per school. This makes sense given the intensity of the fans in the southeast.

As far as UNC............again I think the 'UNC would prefer the BT' line is BT-centric bs. Certainly some academics and administrators would. Fan and donor wise, I think it would be no better than 70/30 SEC.

I do think he's correct about UNC and NC State being tied together. UNC will have to give notice if they intend to leave for the SEC or BT. Won't say it can't happen, but it's not going to be out of the blue like USC/UCLA. Neither the BT nor the SEC really wants NC State, It's not clear if UNC will have the clout to insist on it. If so, the SEC would likely be the destination because they presently have 2 more open "spots".

VA makes more sense for the BT than for the SEC, but VA is far less attractive to either the BT or SEC than are UNC and FSU. For one reason, VT has beaten VA in football something like 12 out of the last 15 games. VA has dominated the basketball series, but basketball is less far less important than football to both conferences.

VA and VT do not appear, at least presently, to be as 'tied at the hip' as UNC/NC State. They could more easily go to different conferences. Although I personally like VT for the BT more than VA, I think the BT and SEC like the Virginia market and location more than they like the individual schools. Again, UNC and FSU are the only individual schools that really move the needle for the BT or SEC.

It’s all about eyeballs on t.v.’s and a superconference without any fluff would have marquee matchups every weekend. If it brings in more dollars, that would be a compelling reason.
I hope you're not right, but I think you are.

$$ and Power (which leads to more $$) are the only relevant factors here. When the SEC took TX and OK, the balance of power, which was already tilted toward the SEC, was dramatically affected. The only way the BIG could restore near-parity was to add USC, Washington and Oregon, even though those additions make less sense on a lot of levels.

When PSU joined the BT, there was discussion that it was a '50 year fit'. Will Indiana still be associated with USC or UCLA 50 years from now? Who knows, but seems doubtful. These decisions are not only all about power and $$.....they also only look out 5-10 years to the future, not 50-100 as when MSU and PSU joined the BT. Ultimately, I think this is just a matter of society moving faster. Corporations now make 1-5 year decisions, not 50. Why would universities be different?

The super-conference is the most profitable short-term plan. Down the road, it will result in decreased interest in college football. Eventually, I suspect that it will break up and regionalism will be restored. Perhaps the ultimate arrangement would be something like a 12 team super-conference with everyone else in a regional conference.

I follow the expansion rumors on a variety of sites. I believe this guy's take to be BT-centric in terms of FSU's final destination. I think the SEC is still the favorite.

No doubt FSU is still pissed at the SEC & ESPN for the play-off snub. So....if FSU was to leave today the BT would be the likely destination. I don't think that will be the decision 2-4 years from now, and I expect this matter won't be resolved earlier than that. It's complicated.

When there were rumors of Texas to the BT years ago, the UT President was asked about it. He said something to the effect of "Why would i want to send the softball team to Minnesota in February". There was never any serious thought of Texas to the BT. I think when things calm down FSU will reach the same conclusion.

With respect to academics....the SEC isn't what it used to be in that regard. Florida, Georgia, Texas, and A&M are all 50ish or better in the US News & WR ratings, all resulting from migration to the south from the north. That trend is going to continue. Schools like FSU, UCF and USF are making leaps in enrollment and selectivity. Why would FSU buck this geographic trend when all of their potential rivals are in the SEC? Do you think FSU fans would prefer playing USC and Michigan on a regular basis, or Florida and Georgia? What about the FSU fans and the player's families. Would they prefer to drive to Florida or fly to southern California?

$ wise, the projections are that down the road the SEC will be somewhat more profitable than the BT.....by about $10M/year per school. This makes sense given the intensity of the fans in the southeast.

As far as UNC............again I think the 'UNC would prefer the BT' line is BT-centric bs. Certainly some academics and administrators would. Fan and donor wise, I think it would be no better than 70/30 SEC.

I do think he's correct about UNC and NC State being tied together. UNC will have to give notice if they intend to leave for the SEC or BT. Won't say it can't happen, but it's not going to be out of the blue like USC/UCLA. Neither the BT nor the SEC really wants NC State, It's not clear if UNC will have the clout to insist on it. If so, the SEC would likely be the destination because they presently have 2 more open "spots".

VA makes more sense for the BT than for the SEC, but VA is far less attractive to either the BT or SEC than are UNC and FSU. For one reason, VT has beaten VA in football something like 12 out of the last 15 games. VA has dominated the basketball series, but basketball is less far less important than football to both conferences.

VA and VT do not appear, at least presently, to be as 'tied at the hip' as UNC/NC State. They could more easily go to different conferences. Although I personally like VT for the BT more than VA, I think the BT and SEC like the Virginia market and location more than they like the individual schools. Again, UNC and FSU are the only individual schools that really move the needle for the BT or SEC.
Lots of great thoughts here. It will be interesting to see how much weight UFs likely opposition to adding FSU to the SEC will matter.

I feel like they will have items that are both on and off the listed agenda.

On the public agenda....how to work out NIL/employment issues, coming up with some structure to replace the NCAA enforcement mechanism, freeing basketball from NCAA control.....

On the unlisted agenda.....how to divide up the ACC, how to best screw over the ACC and Big 12 with the playoff structure and $s, how to best consolidate their power administratively............

I feel like they will have items that are both on and off the listed agenda.

On the public agenda....how to work out NIL/employment issues, coming up with some structure to replace the NCAA enforcement mechanism, freeing basketball from NCAA control.....

On the unlisted agenda.....how to divide up the ACC, how to best screw over the ACC and Big 12 with the playoff structure and $s, how to best consolidate their power administratively............
Also keep in mind they go about business very differently. The B1G went national and the SEC stayed regional. SEC stayed ESPN and the B1G went multiple revenue. Will be interesting to see which one works better. Lots of opinions on that.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT