ADVERTISEMENT

From ESPN. No surprise at all.

Rotonda Jim

Benchwarmer
Sep 3, 2003
The Big Ten is expected to change its policy that teams must play six games to be eligible for the conference championship game, likely paving the way for undefeated No. 4 Ohio State to face Northwestern on Dec. 19, pending further approval in the league, sources told ESPN.
The Big Ten's athletic directors met on Wednesday morning, and while there was support to allow the Buckeyes in the conference championship with only five games, it still has to be voted on by a larger group that includes the athletic directors, the senior women administrators, and ultimately approval from the university presidents and chancellors.
Multiple sources told ESPN the meeting was collaborative, and there was a consensus that a sixth game would not change the Big Ten's East Division standings. If Ohio State found another opponent to replace Michigan, the Buckeyes would still win the East, win or lose.
The Buckeyes' place in the postseason became a question on Tuesday after Michigan canceled its regular-season rivalry game because of COVID-19 issues within the Wolverines' program. It was the third game Ohio State had canceled this season, along with Illinois and Maryland.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
The Big Ten is expected to change its policy that teams must play six games to be eligible for the conference championship game, likely paving the way for undefeated No. 4 Ohio State to face Northwestern on Dec. 19, pending further approval in the league, sources told ESPN.
The Big Ten's athletic directors met on Wednesday morning, and while there was support to allow the Buckeyes in the conference championship with only five games, it still has to be voted on by a larger group that includes the athletic directors, the senior women administrators, and ultimately approval from the university presidents and chancellors.
Multiple sources told ESPN the meeting was collaborative, and there was a consensus that a sixth game would not change the Big Ten's East Division standings. If Ohio State found another opponent to replace Michigan, the Buckeyes would still win the East, win or lose.
The Buckeyes' place in the postseason became a question on Tuesday after Michigan canceled its regular-season rivalry game because of COVID-19 issues within the Wolverines' program. It was the third game Ohio State had canceled this season, along with Illinois and Maryland.
Big Ten to IU: F+ck you.
Big Ten to IU and everyone else: Rules? Who cares about rules?

Relax.

I think most IU fans can agree Ohio State deserves to be in because they beat Indiana head to head. But Indiana fans know if the roles were reversed the conference isn't even entertaining the idea of changing the roles to accommodate Indiana.

I'm pretty sure most Buckeyes would support Indiana or anyone else who beat us h2h to be in the CCG. It isn't a CCG if the only undefeated team was left out. Especially if they could just lose and game and be in. Would make no sense.

Funny you say that, I think OSU should leave the Big Ten. Most of you idiots (schools) voted to not play this season and OSU would make more money on its own.
While that will never happen, I'm pretty sure a huge majority of fans of every other B1G school would be happy to watch you go. Call it envy if you want, it would just be nice to never again have to come in contact with the most obnoxious fanbase in America.

Well not much incentive for us to play another B1G game this year. BeWin or lose with Iowa
Haha we aren't that bad. ND isn't even good this year. I would put money on Indiana to beat ND.
ND won't play us anymore. We made them look bad last time we played. They won but it was ugly. That was a killer when they were independent. I'd bet on us this year too. Love to see that game.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'm pretty sure most Buckeyes would support Indiana or anyone else who beat us h2h to be in the CCG. It isn't a CCG if the only undefeated team was left out. Especially if they could just lose and game and be in. Would make no sense.

At the expense of possibly missing the CFB playoff? Not a chance.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Why let rules constrain you. (Or tradition or law or what-have you.)

Just change the rules and protect the elites.

It's the American way.

While that will never happen, I'm pretty sure a huge majority of fans of every other B1G school would be happy to watch you go. Call it envy if you want, it would just be nice to never again have to come in contact with the most obnoxious fanbase in America.

For how much OSU wins and how many OSU fans there are, it could be much worse. The Big Ten without OSU would be nationally irrelevant.

OSU won on the field against IU. Doesn't bother me too much. Hopefully, IU gets to kick the shit out of someone in a brides-maid bowl.... on a nice TV spot.

McHoop

What if Clemson beats ND by 30 and Indiana plays ND in the Fiesta Bowl?

Reactions: Upset Alert
OSU won on the field against IU. Doesn't bother me too much. Hopefully, IU gets to kick the shit out of someone in a brides-maid bowl.... on a nice TV spot.

McHoop
When this controversy began brewing yesterday I felt the same way, and I am not a fan of championships with asterisks. Certainly OSU can make the case that their situation is no fault of their own. I don't blame OSU at all for feeling like they have a case to be made.

But if you want to play the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" game at some point down the road, don't create a rule to begin with. Plan ahead and create loopholes, contingencies, or caveats - but don't put it on paper if you think there is any possibility you might change your mind. Because then you screw somebody (or everybody) else.

Yes, OSU would likely be 7-0 at this point. But they might be 5-2. They might have had key players injured in those cancelled games prior to playing IU and lost to IU. They might have had their own Covid outbreak and been unable to play us had they played those games. The "might haves" are infinite.

So if you committed yourself to a rule at the outset, honor the f@#king rule. Otherwise you have no honor. And nothing is worse in sports than being dishonorable. Especially true for an organization like the Big Ten that claims to have such lofty ideals.

Kind of an FU to NU, as well. NU v, IU looks like a great match up. NU v OSU is likely gonna be pretty grim.

A championship is won on the field, not made up in the off season. Give OSU a forfeit loss to Illinois since that is only game they canceled and add it to the W-L column, OSU wins h2h tiebreaker and goes to CCG.

I mean you'd still see us on national tv every week while you play on the BTN, listening to Lisa Byington or whatever quota hire is on that week.
Now you're completely full of shit. I don't believe we've played a single game on BTN this season.

We've been the talk of college football, we've got the likely B1G Coach of the Year, and the country (outside of Gary Barta, Barry Alvarez and you) is pulling for us. You guys, on the other hand, are widely loathed. I expect you'll get your asses kicked in the CFP, and no one - - except you - - will be crying about it.

BS !!!!

Now you're completely full of shit. I don't believe we've played a single game on BTN this season.

We've been the talk of college football, we've got the likely B1G Coach of the Year, and the country (outside of Gary Barta, Barry Alvarez and you) is pulling for us. You guys, on the other hand, are widely loathed. I expect you'll get your asses kicked in the CFP, and no one - - except you - - will be crying about it.

Without Ohio State you wouldn't have had one of your best seasons in 30+ years since your president voted to cancel the season. How many networks are lining up to pay for the right to non-OSU B1G games?

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Why don't they just declare them champs now so they can get ready for the CFP. You know Northwestern won't have a chance with the B1G giving direct orders to the referees to make sure OSU wins.
Might as well declare them the champs at the beginning of the season. So much for the decency and integrity of our new commissioner. Doing the right and proper thing never stops The Ohio St. University. Buck my nuts!!

Might as well declare them the champs at the beginning of the season. So much for the decency and integrity of our new commissioner. Doing the right and proper thing never stops The Ohio St. University. Buck my nuts!!

The right and proper thing is to not have the only undefeated team in the conference play for the championship!

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
All I know is this...if there is such a thing as a God or football gods, then the only righteous outcome of this feckery will be to$u getting beat in the conference championship game and bounced out of the CFP.
Definitely works for me.
A championship is won on the field, not made up in the off season. Give OSU a forfeit loss to Illinois since that is only game they canceled and add it to the W-L column, OSU wins h2h tiebreaker and goes to CCG.
The result presumably would also give Illinois a win by forfeit. That would mean Illinois getting a nice thing and Illinois can't have nice things, not per the B1G, but the immutable laws of physics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT