ADVERTISEMENT

From Dakich today...

Icefan

Junior
Oct 7, 2002
said at beginning of broadcast :" 97% to 100% want Alford, I don't care what the blogs and message boards say", and
he also said in a patronizing way, "that kid at Dayton" and ..."the little guy at Dayton", blah, blah, blah.
He sounds really mad and frustrated that IU hasn't announced Alford. He said Glass contacted Alford 5 weeks ago to assess his interest, but didn't offer at that time. Dakich sounds very much like he's on Alford's side right now, but that the search team is blowing the deal.
Those of you who are still listening, please keep me informed of what he says next.

Last edited:
Reactions: moneyadvisor
said at beginning of broadcast :" 97% to 100% want Alford, I don't care what the blogs and message boards say", and
" ..that kid at Dayton" and ..."the guy at Dayton", blah, blah, blah.
He sounds really mad and frustrated that IU hasn't announced Alford. He said Glass contacted Alford 5 weeks ago to assess his interest, but didn't offer at that time. Dakich sounds very much like he's on Alford's side right now, but that the search team is blowing the deal.
Those of you who are still listening, please keep me informed of what he says next.

He's mad that IU hasn't announced the hiring of a coach whose team is about to play Kentucky in the Sweet 16?

How in the world can they keep you informed of anything, if they are listening to that blowhard?
Just plain stupid. Yes why would anyone listen to a guy that talks about IU daily and has an inside track that could break news during a time when the future is at steak if they screw this hire up yet again.

...the future is at steak...

You are making me hungry

ed0363528294ec41923da89c915299e3.jpg

he also said in a patronizing way, "that kid at Dayton" and ..."the little guy at Dayton", blah, blah, blah.
Dackich also supported Crean. Apparently he does not know what is best for IU and I compare his opinion to all the other national trolls.

Reactions: RRgo
Two things...

1. Sounds like Dakich might be hearing some things that mean Alford might not be happening...?

2. Dakich doesn't really care specifically who is the coach at IU...I suspect he's now big on Alford because he knows that's a better material and ratings producer for his show. I think its really as simple as that. A fan base that's excited and energized in a positive way (as we would be for the most part with Donovan or Marshall), is much less likely to turn to message boards and radio stations for commiseration. He knows that 97% comment is BS as well as anyone. Its closer to 50/50, and that's a great environment to boost listenerships for his show. An Alford hire instantly gives him months worth of material...Its a bigger, and deeper, "story"...and its why most of the media is pushing that way.

Donovan comes here, Mo Cheeks slides in at OKC...no big deal or story.

Alford comes here, its a chance to rehash the Pierce stuff, all the stories of his playing days, the connection with Knight, the subsequent UCLA hiring, and any history involved there...Doesn't take too much deep thought to figure out why people like Dakich and other media members are pining now for Alford.

Listened to JMV last night and Doyel was blasting DD on there about telling him Alford was a done deal and then saying he lied about it. Of course Doyel is a hack so......

"97-100%"

SCIENCE!

Dakich is mad because he knows Alford isn't going to get the job.

And if he has to address the anti-Alford crowd, it's bigger than 2 or 3%.
I'm unable to listen to Dakich, but I would bet he's "mad" because he senses IU is conducting a coaching search like a bunch of bumbling fools, all with the delusional expectation that it will produce a difference making coach. Even though many of the people have changed, he probably sees the same dumb decision making and turf protection efforts that gave IU Davis, then Sampson, then Crean.

I'm unable to listen to Dakich, but I would bet he's "mad" because he senses IU is conducting a coaching search like a bunch of bumbling fools, all with the delusional expectation that it will produce a difference making coach. Even though many of the people have changed, he probably sees the same dumb decision making and turf protection efforts that gave IU Davis, then Sampson, then Crean.

Actually, it seems like Glass is actually doing this the right way.

His one screw-up was his press conference with the "double check" nonsense.

He's interviewing basketball people all over the state and getting as much input as he can and doing background checks on all the people he's interested in.

He's taking his time instead of just jumping into it. I have more faith he'll do the right thing now than I did a few days ago.

Still hope it isn't Wonder Boy (and I doubt it will be) and I think the Donovan Trolls will be exposed for the idiots they are but I'm sure they don't care because they hooked a lot of gullible fishes.

Two things...

1. Sounds like Dakich might be hearing some things that mean Alford might not be happening...?

2. Dakich doesn't really care specifically who is the coach at IU...I suspect he's now big on Alford because he knows that's a better material and ratings producer for his show. I think its really as simple as that. A fan base that's excited and energized in a positive way (as we would be for the most part with Donovan or Marshall), is much less likely to turn to message boards and radio stations for commiseration. He knows that 97% comment is BS as well as anyone. Its closer to 50/50, and that's a great environment to boost listenerships for his show. An Alford hire instantly gives him months worth of material...Its a bigger, and deeper, "story"...and its why most of the media is pushing that way.

Donovan comes here, Mo Cheeks slides in at OKC...no big deal or story.

Alford comes here, its a chance to rehash the Pierce stuff, all the stories of his playing days, the connection with Knight, the subsequent UCLA hiring, and any history involved there...Doesn't take too much deep thought to figure out why people like Dakich and other media members are pining now for Alford.

I think it simply comes down to the fact that they were teammates and maybe even friends going back to their playing days.

Reactions: hondo314
Didn't hear him but was he really so anti-Archie? Maybe he does have an idea of what's going on and is mad his boy is getting beat out by Archie?

I think Archie is the home run in terms of consistent success, youth (think dynasty), and having some midwest ties.

Reactions: iu60 and hondo314
Didn't hear him but was he really so anti-Archie? Maybe he does have an idea of what's going on and is mad his boy is getting beat out by Archie?

I think Archie is the home run in terms of consistent success, youth (think dynasty), and having some midwest ties.

no way to tell for sure how well anyone, including Stevens, Donovan, Alford, or anyone else, will do.

that said, virtually every major program in the country has someone who had great success at a non major before they got there.

very few have that success translate over.

not saying Archie wouldn't, just saying he couldn't be considered a "home run" till he does.

if i'm doing the hiring, i talk to Randy Wittman first, but no one is a guarantee, and someone virtually nobody's ever heard of could work out great.

Actually, it seems like Glass is actually doing this the right way.

His one screw-up was his press conference with the "double check" nonsense.

He's interviewing basketball people all over the state and getting as much input as he can and doing background checks on all the people he's interested in.

He's taking his time instead of just jumping into it. I have more faith he'll do the right thing now than I did a few days ago.

Still hope it isn't Wonder Boy (and I doubt it will be) and I think the Donovan Trolls will be exposed for the idiots they are but I'm sure they don't care because they hooked a lot of gullible fishes.
Sir. You are speaking to a Donovan troll.

He's leading the Alford-to-IU charge; it'll be hysterical when it doesn't happen. His premise of "we've tried outsiders for 17 years..." is faulty to the core. It is a relief that no one who matters cares what he thinks.

Davis was an assistant coach and the players wanted him as the next coach.

I've happened to catch his show the last few days. Normally I like it, for the entertainment value alone but, lately he's been a little to over the top. The vitriol spewed knows no bounds.

Also very self serving. He seems upset that he wasn't consulted by Glass and hired a search firm instead. He's dogging and insulting to a great number of IU people, media, fans and administration over the airwaves every day.

Yet I still listen, mainly just so I can feel better about myself

no way to tell for sure how well anyone, including Stevens, Donovan, Alford, or anyone else, will do.

that said, virtually every major program in the country has someone who had great success at a non major before they got there.

very few have that success translate over.

not saying Archie wouldn't, just saying he couldn't be considered a "home run" till he does.

if i'm doing the hiring, i talk to Randy Wittman first, but no one is a guarantee, and someone virtually nobody's ever heard of could work out great.
You lost me when you said Randy.

He obviously lives in a bubble. Clearly most on both boards here don't want Alford and I gotta believe that it's a better sample than everyone he talks to. Everyone that calls his show wants Alford, but if you called him and expressed a different view he'd likely hang up on you, why would non Alford supporters call?

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier

The Davis hire was just shortsighted because the primary goal was just to keep what was the most talented roster IU had had in years.

The Sampson hire came about because Herbert railroaded the process. And its quite clear that if there is an attempt to railroad the current process, its from those trying to install Alford.

Crean was hired because he was literally one of the only people that would talk to IU.

Reactions: Sope Creek
He obviously lives in a bubble. Clearly most on both boards here don't want Alford and I gotta believe that it's a better sample than everyone he talks to. Everyone that calls his show wants Alford, but if you called him and expressed a different view he'd likely hang up on you, why would non Alford supporters call?
Isn't the iu fan base in general in a bubble with their overly inflated views of the program? Funny to read criticisms of Dakich from people who know nothing about hoops or the IU program or who have never really seen iu succeed at a high level.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
It there we're a market for BS Dakich would be a millionaire......I can't believe how he gets out on the floor during the game and does his dog and pony show...
The thing of it is, he's probably well on his way to becoming a millionaire. Who wouldn't perform a "dog and pony show" for those kind of bucks? Good for him. It sure beats "recruiting wars" 365 days per year.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT