ADVERTISEMENT

Former Arizona big man schedules visit

Woody needs to recruit players that can come into our program and outplay our existing core and earn starting roles. Promising is a closing technique, but can be very disruptive.
I don’t think you have any choice with the top transfers. They have other schools that will promise a starting spot. Transfers are hired guns, just the reality of todays game.

aIMfMN.gif

Get ready for Woodson's offense next season.
Why are you showing puke game film?

We were in 1 in 4 out and 5 out sets constantly this season. I don't know what it is about you Wisc MF but I've never met one that understands basketball. Is it something in the cheese?

Quit ball watching and watch the whole set ..
Dumb.

Your actions can begin with 4 guys out or even 5 as you say... but if the personnel isnt capable of being a threat, then it negates everything. Teams can hone in on perimeter action when multiple guys involved in handoff or pnr situations can only roll. Especially when guys not involved in action can't shoot.

Better not take Ballo to Bub's Burgers and Ice Cream for lunch.

We were just there yesterday. We made a Day Trip to attend our little grand daughters school fundraiser event.
We were looking forward to going to Bub's, because we hadn't been there in a good while.

We Arrived at 1:20pm.... was seated at a table and said that our waitress would be with use shortly.
25 minutes later, No waitress, although buss people were cleaning off tables around us. Not one asked if we
had been waited on... not one asked if we needed to place a drink order.
The dining area we were in, main floor, was only 20% full.
There was one waitress and waiter working tables on the other side of the room.... neither one came over to check on us.
There were two guys sitting at a table right beside us talking. They were just like us, no drinks or food yet, and they were there before we got seated.

So we could see the writing on the wall and just got up and left. We've been there multiple times before without issue. I think they were just short staffed during that time period, although it was right at the end of lunch time.

We'll be back up there this summer, when school is out, and hopefully have a better experience.

If they did take Ballo there.... hope they had a better experience. LOL

Trey averaged 6.4 assists per game over the last 10 of the season.

His assists take a hit if he has no one to lob to off the curl but he did put up some pretty big numbers in covering for Xavier Johnson's failed season.

We were in 1 in 4 out and 5 out sets constantly this season. I don't know what it is about you Wisc MF but I've never met one that understands basketball. Is it something in the cheese?

Quit ball watching and watch the whole set ..
First don't associate me with Wisconsin. I just used it for my name when I joined this site like 17 years ago. The entirety of that state blows. I live about 1000 miles southwest now for the past 15 years.

You can talk all you want about how we played so many 1 in 4 out sets, but the reality is the majority of the time we had a clogged lane and no-one willing to pass out of it. Were Ware and MR able to step out and hit a 3 yes, but it was far from "constant" that we were 1 in and 4 out

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
Would create similar issues to what we've had in his first 3 seasons...2 really, really good bigs...with neither versatile enough to guard and rebound effectively away from the basket. And then as you referenced, the continued gravity to clog the lane with 2 guys that are post centric offensively.

Surround them with 3 elite guards, that can shoot, score, and defend like heck on both ends of the floor...sure, that probably works well. But start adding guys like Mack, Tucker, Gallo to play alongside them, and the weaknesses start to get exposed and amplified big time.

I'd rather have Williams or Payne, if they'd play a "6th man" role with Mack and Malik starting, and work, like crazy, to get elite and versatile perimeter players.
I’m assuming there will be minutes and talent to really run his shift change substitutions. Hopefully this time no real drop off. Plenty of minutes to go around… think Auburn

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
If we do a eight man rotation all assuming..

Pg Rice Sg Carlyle Sf Mgbako PF Reneau C Ballo

6 Galloway F
7 Tucker F
8 Cupps Pg
9 Hickman Sg
10 Payne Pf
11 Williams C
12 Newton Sg
13 Leal Sg

We need a couple bigs so hopefully we get atleast two out of the three. Reneau is a foul machine plus if somebody gets hurt.

If we do a eight man rotation all assuming..

Pg Rice Sg Carlyle Sf Mgbako PF Reneau C Ballo

6 Galloway F
7 Tucker F
8 Cupps Pg
9 Hickman Sg
10 Payne Pf
11 Williams C
12 Newton Sg
13 Leal Sg
Payne is a Center and we aren’t getting 3 centers in the portal. If we get Ballo, Payne and Williams are out; I think Williams is already out for what it’s worth and will be surprised if he even visits. If we get Ballo they will pivot to Elijah Malone from Grace College. Don’t forget, Reneau can play the 5 for stretches as well.

Also, Galloway can play 1-3 and Hickman can handle the ball as well.

Reactions: kkott
We need atleast three bigs. Reneau fouls alot so we need his backup and Ballos backup. Payne would work and in a perfect world a stretch four would be great.

Yeah, Malone would struggle in the B1G8. Like I said, Payton Sparks or Kaleb Banks woulda been NAIA NPoY and they struggled. Malone would work well at a Ball State.
Would depend on his role. As a 15 minute or so backup, he would not struggle...at all.

Sparks would push for NAIA POY, I'm sure. Everyone has seen him thrive at the D1 level, he would be overpowering at the NAIA level.

You make yourself sound pretty ignorant including Banks though. No one has seen enough out of him to make that call.

Basically, its obvious you've never seen Malone play.

Would depend on his role. As a 15 minute or so backup, he would not struggle...at all.

Sparks would push for NAIA POY, I'm sure. Everyone has seen him thrive at the D1 level, he would be overpowering at the NAIA level.

You make yourself sound pretty ignorant including Banks though. No one has seen enough out of him to make that call.

Basically, its obvious you've never seen Malone play.
Ben Humrichous went from NAIA Huntington to Evansville and now is hearing from Duke, IU, PU, Virginia(the early fave), Notre dame

Ben Humrichous went from NAIA Huntington to Evansville and now is hearing from Duke, IU, PU, Virginia(the early fave), Notre dame
Yeah, there are a lot of really good ball players in NAIA. Just depends on what kind of player they are though, whether that will translate to high major D1 ball. Malone should be fine as a backup big, 3, D, and rebounding type guy. Not gonna be a guy you run your offense around at IU's level though.

Kyle Mangas would have thrived at the high major level, in all likelihood.

Basically any small college All American, that has decent size for their position, but also has really good ball skills (shooting, handling, etc...) will find value and probably do well at any level of college. The ones that succeed at small colleges because of their physicality and athleticism, that don't have plus ball skills, are the ones that might struggle making that leap.

Your example stands up to this...he's a very good shooter for his size. I'd say Malone is probably a better overall ball player than Humrichous too.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Yeah, there are a lot of really good ball players in NAIA. Just depends on what kind of player they are though, whether that will translate to high major D1 ball. Malone should be fine as a backup big, 3, D, and rebounding type guy. Not gonna be a guy you run your offense around at IU's level though.

Basically any small college All American, that has decent size for their position, but also has really good ball skills (shooting, handling, etc...) will find value and probably do well at any level of college. The ones that succeed at small colleges because of their physicality and athleticism, that don't have plus ball skills, are the ones that might struggle making that leap.

Your example stands up to this...he's a very good shooter for his size. I'd say Malone is probably a better overall ball player than Humrichous too.
Yep probably but Ben is an elite shooter at 6’10

Yep probably but Ben is an elite shooter at 6’10
Malone pushed 40% on over 100 attempts...he's not much smaller. And I'd say probably adds a little more physicality. Both will be quality additions, I assume, for anyone. I'd take Ben any day at IU for a similar role.

Malone pushed 40% on over 100 attempts...he's not much smaller. And I'd say probably adds a little more physicality. Both will be quality additions, I assume, for anyone. I'd take Ben any day at IU for a similar role.
Same..conversation though was pretty much MR is locked in at the 4 and Mm at the 3. So I doubt Ben comes to IU. Virginia is who I bet he commits to.

Also not a fan of Malone not very athletic and over weight.

2 out of 3..
IU has different looks that they can go with, Ballo,Mgbako,Reneau,Rice and Carlyle. A possibilty if he comes too-Payne,Mgbako,Galloway,Rice and Hickman[best outside shooting group],Ballo,Mgbako,Conwell[no Hickman],Carlyle and Reneau. It all depends on who comes to IU. I prefer Conwell over Hickman because I'm not sure Hickman can handle Big10 play but I could be very wrong as I have not seen him play. Conwell has played some decent teams. The guy from Belmont would be nice too. And I haven't even considered Tucker or Newton or Leal yet. More bench than last year if majority of interested players come to IU.

There are plenty of NAIA/D2/D3 players that can contribute to D1 teams, particularly those that have been tabbed as player of the year at those divisions. Take the Gohlke kid from Oakland this past year. You think he wouldn't have seriously helped? He came there from Hillsdale. Mangas certainly would have been worth a roster spot, had he decided to go through the portal. Neither of them were NPOY. Malone is definitely worth a look as bench depth and perimeter shooting help.

There are plenty of NAIA/D2/D3 players that can contribute to D1 teams, particularly those that have been tabbed as player of the year at those divisions. Take the Gohlke kid from Oakland this past year. You think he wouldn't have seriously helped? He came there from Hillsdale. Mangas certainly would have been worth a roster spot, had he decided to go through the portal. Neither of them were NPOY. Malone is definitely worth a look as bench depth and perimeter shooting help.
I believe Mangas won NPOY at least once. Was for sure an All American.

First don't associate me with Wisconsin. I just used it for my name when I joined this site like 17 years ago. The entirety of that state blows. I live about 1000 miles southwest now for the past 15 years.

You can talk all you want about how we played so many 1 in 4 out sets, but the reality is the majority of the time we had a clogged lane and no-one willing to pass out of it. Were Ware and MR able to step out and hit a 3 yes, but it was far from "constant" that we were 1 in and 4 out
I was thinking you were a drunk because I can't spell whiskey. So are you in New Mexico or Arizona? I am in Central PA.

• Haha
Reactions: WiskyHoosier
I believe Mangas won NPOY at least once. Was for sure an All American.
Yea Mangas was a 2-time NAIA player of the year a 4-time AA, senior year won the Bevo Francis Award which is the top player in Division 2, 3, and NAIA (same award as Malone this year as well). The most impressive numbers with him maybe that not only is he the all-time leading scorer at IWU, but he also broke the record by 1165 points (in 11 fewer games), meaning if he tied the record and then started over at zero points, he would still be a top 15 scorer at one of the best NAIA programs in the country!!

Yea Mangas was a 2-time NAIA player of the year a 4-time AA, senior year won the Bevo Francis Award which is the top player in Division 2, 3, and NAIA (same award as Malone this year as well). The most impressive numbers with him maybe that not only is he the all-time leading scorer at IWU, but he also broke the record by 1165 points (in 11 fewer games), meaning if he tied the record and then started over at zero points, he would still be a top 15 scorer at one of the best NAIA programs in the country!!
I remember watching him as a sophomore at Warsaw. He wasn't putting up huge numbers yet, but it was very clear he was the best player in the gym.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT