ADVERTISEMENT

Former Arizona big man schedules visit

First,MR's outside game is improving more than TJD's ever did. His D can still use better footwork. But not wanting Ballou is baffling to me,BSmitty.
I guess I’m hoping we play more modern basketball. I do t like clogging the lane with two bigs that can’t play any outside. Especially when one of your guards can’t shoot. Trey

Reactions: ulrey
You care so much about designing around Reneau that you would pass on potentially the best center in college next year. I’m running out of words.
Doing otherwise would require him to admit that Woodson did something remotely positive.

Here's a fun solution to his imaginary problem: Let Reneau come off the bench if he hasn't proven he can defend well enough to play over the other two.

Reactions: Thcgh
Doing otherwise would require him to admit that Woodson did something remotely positive.

Here's a fun solution to his imaginary problem: Let Reneau come off the bench if he hasn't proven he can defend well enough to play over the other two.
I’m not opposed to Mr coming off the bench. Just don’t want him playing with another post player.

I’m not opposed to Mr coming off the bench. Just don’t want him playing with another post player.
I'd have to agree. What happened to the 1 in 4 out? When you say this, you can't be referring to just 1 side of the ball MR is not good enough to be playing out on offense or defense. Sure, he can step out and hit a 3 at an ok clip for his size. We had 2 years of TJD and RT with the second year including MR, just to much congestion. Not saying we pass on Ballo but we need to use these guys different than we've played the last 3 years

Reactions: ulrey and bsmitty08
I don't even recall MR guarding in the post before. We have to supplement him with a bigger guy, there's no way around it. Just need to bring in better shooters.

Reactions: Thcgh
I'd have to agree. What happened to the 1 in 4 out? When you say this, you can't be referring to just 1 side of the ball MR is not good enough to be playing out on offense or defense. Sure, he can step out and hit a 3 at an ok clip for his size. We had 2 years of TJD and RT with the second year including MR, just to much congestion. Not saying we pass on Ballo but we need to use these guys different than we've played the last 3 years
Perhaps we are hyper focused on matching up in the B10 in roster construction?

Reactions: T.M.P.
Perhaps we are hyper focused on matching up in the B10 in roster construction?
I don't believe that to be the case. I mean in my mind we shouldn't be looking to match up to the B1G in roster construction based on the massive success the B1G has had in the NCAA tournament the last 25 years

I don't believe that to be the case. I mean in my mind we shouldn't be looking to match up to the B1G in roster construction based on the massive success the B1G has had in the NCAA tournament the last 25 years
I’m with you, but perhaps the B10 has struggled for 25 years because teams are recruiting to battle the bruisers in conference.

TJD's #s were great, but I don't feel like we've had a really physical and feared rim protector like him, since... Big Mac?
Ware from blocks standpoint was pretty good. Ballou doesn’t block many shots

We used a lot of 1 in 4 out and 5 out sets this last year. The only thing unmodern about the offense was lack of shooting ..

Everyone was used to their strengths, limited as they were. There's no magic wand offense that's going to turn Gallo into a shooter .. none.

I loved watching Hurley's offense the last two years. Genius. Having multiple triple threat perimeter players made it almost impossible to guard at times. They had three to four guys that could create when needed outside of sets. Those kind of players make offenses look good.

What would happen if you replaced Spencer and Newton with Cupps and Galloway, would Hurley still be a genius?

Ware from blocks standpoint was pretty good. Ballou doesn’t block many shots
My guess is Woodson's preference is for a rim protector. That's been a big part of our defense. Surprised if we don't talk to the Rutgers big guy - good defender.

Reactions: bsmitty08
aIMfMN.gif

Get ready for Woodson's offense next season.

I would love having Ballou if MR had a skill set like say Watford
Malik got a shit ton better this year. Hopefully he takes half the jump this year and gets better at three. He’s already night and day better than JG TJD or Race. If he can shoot 125 threes at 33-35% that will work. We just need to get some elite shooting guards. It has to happen this year. If we are starting Galloway and Cupps we’re screwed.

Malik got a shit ton better this year. Hopefully he takes half the jump this year and gets better at three. He’s already night and day better than JG TJD or Race. If he can shoot 125 threes at 33-35% that will work. We just need to get some elite shooting guards. It has to happen this year. If we are starting Galloway and Cupps we’re screwed.
Tucker is a 2/3.

So what is the starting lineup next year if Ballou commits? I assume Tucker has been promised a starting role.

Rice
Tucker
Mgbako
Reneau
Ballou

So what is the starting lineup next year if Ballou commits? I assume Tucker has been promised a starting role.

Rice
Tucker
Mgbako
Reneau
Ballou
Something like this. I'll be hopeful and say we add a shooting guard who is open to playing ~25 minutes (Carlyle, Conwell). Gallo sixth man and spells the young'n or one of the bigs, shooter rotates in for any of the 1-4, and we run an eight man rotation. The only issue with that is we wouldn't really have a third big. Playing minutes would be reduced on paper, but with fouls and injuries, players should get their minutes and whatever group gels or has the matchups finishes games.

Reactions: Willdog7
Something like this. I'll be hopeful and say we add a shooting guard who is open to playing ~25 minutes (Carlyle, Conwell). Gallo sixth man and spells the young'n or one of the bigs, shooter rotates in for any of the 1-4, and we run an eight man rotation. The only issue with that is we wouldn't really have a third big. Playing minutes would be reduced on paper, but with fouls and injuries, players should get their minutes and whatever group gels or has the matchups finishes games.
I have zero confidence Galloway comes off the bench.

I love Trey’s effort and fearlessness but Woody needs to wake up on this issue. Trey is a better super sub than a starting shooting guard.
The major issue is in todays world you need to promise these transfers a starting spot. Is what it is. So Woody needs to talk with Trey and be like look you are coming off the bench. I just have no confidence in that happening.

Woody needs to promise a really good shooting 2 guard a starting spot. You think he will do that? He doesn't seem to like change.

He can be TJD jr good next season as a Jr. I really could see him ar 18/7 and best back to basket player in the conference

The major issue is in todays world you need to promise these transfers a starting spot. Is what it is. So Woody needs to talk with Trey and be like look you are coming off the bench. I just have no confidence in that happening.

Woody needs to promise a really good shooting 2 guard a starting spot. You think he will do that? He doesn't seem to like change.
Woody needs to recruit players that can come into our program and outplay our existing core and earn starting roles. Promising is a closing technique, but can be very disruptive.

Reactions: CriticArisen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT