ADVERTISEMENT

For Memorial Day

Rakkasan29

All-American
Nov 4, 2006
Indiana
183741_1844424587565_4851104_n.jpg

This is 2nd Platoon (w/ elements of HQ Plt) Charlie Co. (Crusher) 1st Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment (3rd Brigade) 101st Airborne Division. Taken Spring 2003 about 50 ft. from the Tigris River in Baghdad, Iraq.

I wish I could tell you that everyone pictured here had a happy ending and came back safely, but sadly that just isn't the case.

About an hour before the picture was taken we got into a small "friendly" fire fight with the Marines patrolling near us. Thankfully no one was hurt but it could have turned out very badly for them. When they realized they were into it with the 101st you could almost smell the fear in the air. Poor guys. For some reason I can't remember, our Battalion Sergeant Major was with us that day (top row, far left) and when everything was sorted out afterwards he had a little chat with their senior NCO. I thought that poor Marine's testicles were going to climb back up into his body.

Anyways, always appreciate the thanks. It really means a lot. But on this day of remembrance, give thanks to the guys who didn't make it home. Guys like Jedrosco, and Brown, and Vanderhorn, and the countless others who made the ultimate sacrifice. This is their day.

(p.s. Yes, I am in the above picture)

This is 2nd Platoon (w/ elements of HQ Plt) Charlie Co. (Crusher) 1st Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment (3rd Brigade) 101st Airborne Division. Taken Spring 2003 about 50 ft. from the Tigris River in Baghdad, Iraq.

I wish I could tell you that everyone pictured here had a happy ending and came back safely, but sadly that just isn't the case.

About an hour before the picture was taken we got into a small "friendly" fire fight with the Marines patrolling near us. Thankfully no one was hurt but it could have turned out very badly for them. When they realized they were into it with the 101st you could almost smell the fear in the air. Poor guys. For some reason I can't remember, our Battalion Sergeant Major was with us that day (top row, far left) and when everything was sorted out afterwards he had a little chat with their senior NCO. I thought that poor Marine's testicles were going to climb back up into his body.

Anyways, always appreciate the thanks. It really means a lot. But on this day of remembrance, give thanks to the guys who didn't make it home. Guys like Jedrosco, and Brown, and Vanderhorn, and the countless others who made the ultimate sacrifice. This is their day.

#1 - thank you for your service. In my mind, you, and those you served with, are heroes.

#2 - your last paragraph should be permanently pinned. Well done.

Thank you for your service

Mc Hoop

Thank you for your service!

McHoop

Last edited:

You're the goofy looking guy, right?

Seriously, thanks to you for your service, and to your lost brothers for their sacrifice. Never forget.

Pretty damn humbling Rak. Thanks.

Thanks for your service and especially to all who haven't made it back alive. Dad served in France and Germany... helped liberate some of the poor souls at Dachau. Aside from a Purple Heart for a bayonet wound, he was one of the lucky ones.
Lost him to lung cancer in the 1980s.

I consider you guys some of the best of us. Thank you for representing your country well and defending her. Happy Memorial Day to you and yours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT