ADVERTISEMENT

Football vs. Soccer

Rotonda

Redshirt
Mar 15, 2014
Rotonda, Florida
Just curious. For the last 40 years or so. I have heard that soccer is going to boom in the USA. Well I wonder how many watched the World Cup and I wonder how many will be watching tonight as Creighton. Syracuse, Pittsburgh and my Indiana Hoosiers play in college soccer's (real football) final four. I bet you can hardly wait. ( he said sarcastically) And if you want a safe bet, I bet more folks will watch Georgia, Ohio State, TCU and Michigan in our college football final four than watch real football tonight!!. I have not heard one sports talking head even mention tonight's games but instead they discuss the fourth string running back at TCU. Such nonsense!!!! So yes, Go Hoosiers but why doesn't soccer catch on in the USA and why do you keep saying it will but yet never watch?

Just curious. For the last 40 years or so. I have heard that soccer is going to boom in the USA. Well I wonder how many watched the World Cup and I wonder how many will be watching tonight as Creighton. Syracuse, Pittsburgh and my Indiana Hoosiers play in college soccer's (real football) final four. I bet you can hardly wait. ( he said sarcastically) And if you want a safe bet, I bet more folks will watch Georgia, Ohio State, TCU and Michigan in our college football final four than watch real football tonight!!. I have not heard one sports talking head even mention tonight's games but instead they discuss the fourth string running back at TCU. Such nonsense!!!! So yes, Go Hoosiers but why doesn't soccer catch on in the USA and why do you keep saying it will but yet never watch?
Guess you didn't watch last years Big game 🙄😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

Reactions: vesuvius13
Soccer is decades away from being an American sport as it doesn't fit our demeanor or at least until younger generations take over.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I heard this same tired argument back in the early 90a that soccer would overtake football as “America’s favorite sport.” Still waiting. It did drive up sales of mini vans.
Football is a uniquely American born sport. Soccer has its origins overseas. Will never happen.
Shit, if it was really popular, we could fill Memorial Stadium. It simply isn’t.
This is also why when fans start bringing up the Olympic sports as IU’s success, it rings as hollow as when Purdoo faithful always brought up women’s basketball. Great….but it doesn’t pay the bills.

I heard this same tired argument back in the early 90a that soccer would overtake football as “America’s favorite sport.” Still waiting. It did drive up sales of mini vans.
Football is a uniquely American born sport. Soccer has its origins overseas. Will never happen.
Shit, if it was really popular, we could fill Memorial Stadium. It simply isn’t.
This is also why when fans start bringing up the Olympic sports as IU’s success, it rings as hollow as when Purdoo faithful always brought up women’s basketball. Great….but it doesn’t pay the bills.
Incredible wisdom. You called it right re. IU soccer weeks ago:(

I don't think it pays the bills but it is still a nice feather in the cap. I also think you have an opinion from a few weeks back that you really need to walk back w.r.t. the IU soccer program as well...

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I think we can all agree everyone here is pulling for IU to win the soccer ( don't try and tell me it is "real football") national championship. I can honestly say until I saw on Facebook this morning IU won I had no idea there was a game last night.

If you are truly a fan of the sport of soccer I hope you're enjoying the World Cup ( or is it over?) and you enjoy watching the Hoosiers hopefully win a title.

I'm sure there are beautiful intricacies to soccer. Personally I find it slow and boring to watch. Apparently so do the majority of Americans.

Tackle football has billions of dollars behind it. Plus it’s brutal, which is what Americans love but are too ashamed to admit.

It’d be very interesting to see what would happen if all high major college football and the NFL converted to flag football. I’d probably still like it. It’d be like basketball.

I recall this sentiment in the mid-70’s when Pele came to the NY Cosmos. 46 years later, still waiting. Here’s to to IU soccer winning another one, though.
I went to see Pele play when I was stationed in South Florida and people thought Soccer would take off in the USA. I preferred football but went because living in Bermuda 3-5 grade I was exposed to soccer. Soccer will not rise to the level of football unless the people running the sport screw it up too bad.

I think we can all agree everyone here is pulling for IU to win the soccer ( don't try and tell me it is "real football") national championship. I can honestly say until I saw on Facebook this morning IU won I had no idea there was a game last night.

If you are truly a fan of the sport of soccer I hope you're enjoying the World Cup ( or is it over?) and you enjoy watching the Hoosiers hopefully win a title.

I'm sure there are beautiful intricacies to soccer. Personally I find it slow and boring to watch. Apparently so do the majority of Americans.

I am not "truly a fan" of soccer but I am an IU fan so I was watching yesterday!

It is a nice feather in the cap for IU. Nobody really gives 2 shits about soccer in this country.

Now, hopefully Yeagley Jr. can pull it off. If it was his old man coaching, probably be a lock.
If it was a revenue sport, we’d be set for life. Unfortunately, we happen to have arguably the worst program in America for the main revenue sport that pays bills.

Actually the MLS is growing in leaps and bounds in both viewership and money. Most on this board like Big Red Negative Buffalo wouldn't notice though because they are too busy complaining about Dolson. I happen to watch more European soccer but far than I do any other sport but I rarely watch college soccer. Reason being is that it's miles below top tier pro soccer. It's basically sprint and kick long balls all game. Not sure I'll even watch IU is the national championship game.

Actually the MLS is growing in leaps and bounds in both viewership and money. Most on this board like Big Red Negative Buffalo wouldn't notice though because they are too busy complaining about Dolson. I happen to watch more European soccer but far than I do any other sport but I rarely watch college soccer. Reason being is that it's miles below top tier pro soccer. It's basically sprint and kick long balls all game. Not sure I'll even watch IU is the national championship game.
Time for you to move to Europe where you can go be in a stadium full of 100,000 drunkards who may take your life before you make it to the parking lot.
If you want to give me your mini van before you leave Jack, I’ll take it! ⚽️🤣

Reactions: vesuvius13
It is a nice feather in the cap for IU. Nobody really gives 2 shits about soccer in this country.

Now, hopefully Yeagley Jr. can pull it off. If it was his old man coaching, probably be a lock.
If it was a revenue sport, we’d be set for life. Unfortunately, we happen to have arguably the worst program in America for the main revenue sport that pays bills.
Do you know Jerry Yeagley lost the championship match 6 times in his IU career- including his first 3? He also had a couple dominant teams that got beat in the semis over the years. It’s not easy winning it all- even if you’re the GOAT. Give Todd some credit for the phenomenal coaching he’s done this year.

I smh at football fans that consider soccer to be boring. It’s extremely hard to attend a football game, especially college, with its tv timeouts and 18 minutes of action in a 60 minute game.
If the most common result in football was 7-7 or 0-0 or 7-0, I'd find that boring too.

Maybe you stick to what you like, I'll stick to what I like, and we can both skip the smh-ing.

More like 55 years. And everything was going to convert to the metric system also. Remember when Major League baseball also put the distances of the fences in metric terms?

More like 55 years. And everything was going to convert to the metric system also. Remember when Major League baseball also put the distances of the fences in metric terms?
It is a real shame we didn't convert to metric as people would find it much easier once it became the way.

I will watch the IU championship game.

I watched the US Netherlands knock out match.

I tried to get into sporting KC a few years ago. It was too boring.
I can barely watch full 4 plus hour American football game anymore. The constant timeouts and commercials are ridiculous not to mention how it takes 30 minutes to play the last 2 min of the game

Reactions: BayernFan
It is a real shame we didn't convert to metric as people would find it much easier once it became the way.
You wouldn't necessarily think so if you were rummaging through a metric toolbox looking for a wrench for your american-made car.

This thread is super random. Soccer viewership is rising dramatically due to all the English Premier League games being on NBC. I learned to play basketball by watching Indiana and the NBA. Kids in America are able to do that now for the first time. As the skill level in American soccer increases, so will the viewership of Americans playing soccer. To insinuate that this is another false dawn for the invasion of soccer is preposterous...go to a bar on a Saturday morning. People will be lined up at 715 am.

This thread is super random. Soccer viewership is rising dramatically due to all the English Premier League games being on NBC. I learned to play basketball by watching Indiana and the NBA. Kids in America are able to do that now for the first time. As the skill level in American soccer increases, so will the viewership of Americans playing soccer. To insinuate that this is another false dawn for the invasion of soccer is preposterous...go to a bar on a Saturday morning. People will be lined up at 715 am.
Some cities are going crazy over mls. In Saint Louis there’s street parties, watch parties - it’s taking over

I can barely watch full 4 plus hour American football game anymore. The constant timeouts and commercials are ridiculous not to mention how it takes 30 minutes to play the last 2 min of the game
It's what I love about soccer and F1. You actually get to watch the sport and not the ads.

World cup viewership was up around 30% per match from 2018 to 2022. That's 64 matches I think?

Reactions: Chriselli
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT