ADVERTISEMENT

Follow the money!

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Not sure how I missed it, but in June the list of schools by 2022 athletic revenue came out.

No. 1 - Ohio State - $251.6 million

IU was 13th in the nation - 5th in the Big Ten - $166.7. (Yes, nice rank - but that is $85 million less than OSU. We would have been 7th in the SEC, just ahead of Kentucky.)

First non-Power 5 was UConn at 50th ($99 million)

Colorado, Oregon State and Washington State were only Power 5 lower than 50th, but not all schools were reported.

In short, if the money matters, we should be doing better. Maybe we should drop some non-revenue sports?

Last edited:
Not sure how I missed it, but in June the list of schools by 2022 athletic revenue came out.

IU was 13th in the nation - 55th in the Big Ten - $166.7. (Yes, nice rank - but that is $85 million less than OSU. We would have been 7th in the SEC, just ahead of Kentucky.)

Colorado, Oregon State and Washington State were only Power 5 lower than 50th, but not all schools were reported.

In short, if the money matters, we should be doing better. Maybe we should drop some non-revenue sports?
There was an article on this. I believe this accounted for a massive donation that year but that we're not remotely that high. So that was more of a statistical anomaly than the typical situation.

IU was 13th in the nation - 55th in the Big Ten - $166.7. (Yes, nice rank - but that is $85 million less than OSU. We would have been 7th in the SEC, just ahead of Kentucky.)

Or maybe… put more money in the sport? Which is what you are saying by dropping non revenue sports thinking there would be more for football….

Weren’t you saying admin isn’t to blame? Hmmmm… seems they decide where the money goes. But no, everything is fine…

Talk about a running kick in the nuts

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
........ In short, if the money matters, we should be doing better. Maybe we should drop some non-revenue sports?

I agree...

Now I can't remember if there's a rule about a school wanting to drop a sport so please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the NCAA require that for every women's sport that's dropped the school has to drop an equivalent mens sport?....

I do know there is an NCAA guideline that requires Football Bowl Subdivision schools to sponsor at least 16 varsity sports with a minimum of six for men or mixed-gender teams, and eight for women...

I other words there's some ratio they have to meet, so it's not always that easy to drop anything...

It would probably be a tough thing for IU to do because they do tend to excel in most minor sports, for both men and women, and what little prestige they receive from those sport they might not want to lose.

I agree but I don't know how they'd do it.

IU was 13th in the nation - 5th in the Big Ten - $166.7. (Yes, nice rank - but that is $85 million less than OSU. We would have been 7th in the SEC, just ahead of Kentucky.)

Explanation of 2022 finances

Too many numbnuts on here have just flatly ignored this reporting and then twisted those numbers into meaning something that they don't....that we're awash in cash.

Explanation of 2022 finances

Too many numbnuts on here have just flatly ignored this reporting and then twisted those numbers into meaning something that they don't....that we're awash in cash.
Who you calling numbnuts numbnuts?

2022 numbers are the most recent available, and IU athletics reported the numbers.

Donations, sales, lottery winnings, whatever. Money is money.

The point is that IU was able to generate the money for IU athletics to use, spend, operate.

My guess is that the Chemistry Department got some donations. Music too. So, if IU needs $165,000,000 to run athletics this year, or next year, they can get it. Bake sales. Lemonade stands. Selling your brain for medical study. Whatever. The proof is in the pudding. IU ain’t broke. Money ain’t the problem until they let it be.

I mean, the fact that someone has been a rude prick in the past is pretty good evidence you will be a rude prick again, right? Same idea.

Who you calling numbnuts numbnuts?

2022 numbers are the most recent available, and IU athletics reported the numbers.

Donations, sales, lottery winnings, whatever. Money is money.

The point is that IU was able to generate the money for IU athletics to use, spend, operate.

My guess is that the Chemistry Department got some donations. Music too. So, if IU needs $165,000,000 to run athletics this year, or next year, they can get it. Bake sales. Lemonade stands. Selling your brain for medical study. Whatever. The proof is in the pudding. IU ain’t broke. Money ain’t the problem until they let it be.

I mean, the fact that someone has been a rude prick in the past is pretty good evidence you will be a rude prick again, right? Same idea.
Wasn't referring to you because at the time you weren't misrepresenting the data. But now you are.

It was a one-time donation to cover losses from previous fiscal years related to covid. IUF isn't going to be providing bailouts on an annual basis. A snapshot of one year makes it seem as though IU is flush with cash. They're not. Any suggestion to the contrary is being a numbnut.

Reactions: MIS01
Wasn't referring to you because at the time you weren't misrepresenting the data. But now you are.

It was a one-time donation to cover losses from previous fiscal years related to covid. IUF isn't going to be providing bailouts on an annual basis. A snapshot of one year makes it seem as though IU is flush with cash. They're not. Any suggestion to the contrary is being a numbnut.
If you know something otherwise, spill the numbers. And quit calling people you don't know names. It's juvenile at best.

You mean if you close your business you don’t get paid? Really? Imagine that… talk about numbnuts…..

Reactions: ulrey
WTH is your point?

Whatever it is has nothing to do with what I stated.
It was t a critique of you. More so the University. They faired no worse than any other business did other than the fact no one was available to bail out the majority of small businesses. I lost two companies to Covid stupidity that no one can give a flying f about.

Wish I could have their problems. It is their ilk that created the craziness and still refuse to accept they were wrong. Fools

It was t a critique of you. More so the University. They faired no worse than any other business did other than the fact no one was available to bail out the majority of small businesses. I lost two companies to Covid stupidity that no one can give a flying f about.

Wish I could have their problems. It is their ilk that created the craziness and still refuse to accept they were wrong. Fools
Ok then. Noted.

The majority of mall businesses didn't get a covid bail out? Mine did.

The majority of mall businesses didn't get a covid bail out? Mine did.
What bail out? I know you are talking PPP. That wasn’t a bail out. It was the govt asking businesses to keep employees hired and paid each week even if revenue wasn’t there. If the business paid a payroll then they got reimbursed. An owner, who wasn’t on salary which is the majority of small businesses, didn’t get paid. Don’t believe the talking points. Think

Reactions: ulrey
What bail out? I know you are talking PPP. That wasn’t a bail out. It was the govt asking businesses to keep employees hired and paid each week even if revenue wasn’t there. If the business paid a payroll then they got reimbursed. An owner, who wasn’t on salary which is the majority of small businesses, didn’t get paid. Don’t believe the talking points. Think
You are incorrect. Owners did get paid their average draw if they worked at the business. Just not above about $100k a year per owner, iirc. I co-own my business. I paid myself by draw, and my PPP was approved. My co-owner/wife too. And forgiven. Free money. Non-taxed.

You are incorrect. Owners did get paid their average draw if they worked at the business. Just not above about $100k a year per owner, iirc. I co-own my business. I paid myself by draw, and my PPP was approved. My co-owner/wife too. And forgiven. Free money. Non-taxed.
Actually, if you had a profit at the end of the year, your salary was based on your profit that transferred to your personal taxes that you paid your taxes on. If you didn’t have a profit you didn’t get PPP.

Draws were specifically excluded. That doesn’t mean you didn’t claim it. The issue is those claims were not vetted by the bank you went through. They just had to collect your supporting information and submit to the Government. You should check it out…

Happens at Football games too... 🙄

Two of the biggest player commits in recent history and we have half a thread on PPP...

I once sat behind two dentists who literally spent the entire game discussing their respective practices and their high overhead costs... I started to interject and ask if they hadn't figured that in when they price fix at the convention each winter but I was too interested in the actual Football game...

My fellow INDIANA Football fans never cease to amaze me... 😖

Last edited:
Happens at Football games too... 🙄

Two of the biggest player commits in recent history and we have half a thread on PPP...

I once sat behind two dentists who literally spent the entire game discussing their respective practices and their high overhead costs... I started to interject and ask if they hadn't figured that in when they price fix at the convention each winter but I was too interested in the actual Football game...

My fellow INDIANA Football fans never cease to amaze me... 😖
Yeah I'm done. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Reactions: 76-1

There was a long discussion on this board about the revenue. June 14 posted by @jlasson.

Yeah I'm done. He doesn't know what he's talking about.
20 plus year Commercial Lender… I may know a little… the rules were the rules. The banks didn’t want responsibility for the accuracy of the claims so the banks were simply a repository and collector of info for the government. You filled and signed the paperwork. If the government actually reviews and checks the paperwork they can come back and get it from you… but I am probably talking out my ass… 😂…. You can actually Google it… it’s very easy to find… if you want info or insight feel free to DM me… otherwise roll with it and count on their incompetence. It is a good bet

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT