ADVERTISEMENT

Fland decommits

probably will follow Cal
One would think...

Assuming Tyson is making the money competitive, its probably a no brainer. Arkansas has to be a really damn fun place to play ball. And the atmosphere this year there will be ridiculous.

One would think...

Assuming Tyson is making the money competitive, its probably a no brainer. Arkansas has to be a really damn fun place to play ball. And the atmosphere this year there will be ridiculous.
if they would win it all next year might be the greatest thing, except an IU title

probably will follow Cal
Cal wasn't making that move without already know who from UK's team and incoming class was coming with him, or at least very likely to. We obviously should've made inquiries since it felt like we finished second on Fland but the fact that we didn't seem to have much interaction or even interest tells me he's known what he's going to do, or he was just deciding (and still may be) between UK and AR. I don't think he's above a bidding war and kinda feel like that was most of his interest in IU in the fall, was just to have another bidder/gambler involved to push the pot higher.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Cal wasn't making that move without already know who from UK's team and incoming class was coming with him, or at least very likely to. We obviously should've made inquiries since it felt like we finished second on Fland but the fact that we didn't seem to have much interaction or even interest tells me he's known what he's going to do, or he was just deciding (and still may be) between UK and AR. I don't think he's above a bidding war and kinda feel like that was most of his interest in IU in the fall, was just to have another bidder/gambler involved to push the pot higher.
yep call Cal what you want, but he's not stupid.

UK season next year could be quite a mess for Pope. I doubt he's brining all his BYU kids to Lexington.

UK season next year could be quite a mess for Pope. I doubt he's brining all his BYU kids to Lexington.
Pope's recruiting will be very interesting to follow.

Re: Arkansas. Personally I had a blind spot for how much they love hoops. Bud Walton is a big arena and they are a clear #2 in basketball interest in the SEC. Their UK games will be awesome this season.

I watched a little of that USA/World team game the other night and Boogie has some serious handle. It's also obvious that palming the ball is no longer called.

That said, I'm betting Boogie has $1M in chicken dollars waiting for him down in Fayetteville AR.
WE should give him 2 mil in mall gift cards. This one is a no brainer. He's amazing

Honestly, I think this was just another of his variations of crying wolf and prompting another job offer to try and force the current school to up their offer and in this case UK called him on it so he went through with it, because it's a good situation. I know he's done this on other occassions and remember it once when he was toying with NC St and pushing Memphis to give him a bigger budget for assistant coaches. I recall that he did it another time, but don't remember where, but seems to be a ploy he's used and in this case UK called his bluff.

Re: Arkansas. Personally I had a blind spot for how much they love hoops. Bud Walton is a big arena and they are a clear #2 in basketball interest in the SEC. Their UK games will be awesome this season.
Pope had a great introductory press conference at Rupp yesterday. Let's see what happens next.

Reactions: Tammany Hall

Yeah, I don't think it was a bad move at all for Cal, as he's basically selling a mercenary mentality to these kids of come and play for me for a year (or 2 at most) and if you're good, you'll get to the NBA. I don't think they care if it's in Lexington or Fayetteville. The question gets to be can he build a roster of uber talented kids that can beat a Dan Hurley type team of older guys/men, and personally I think that's going to be hard to do. I'm guessing Cal will start to get a portion of his recruiting energy to also established portal guys so he has some more age/experience. I still question if he can throw that all together in 1 year and be successful.

And, at AR, he's certainly going to have more control and sounds like he also pre-arranged having a few important NIL donors on board. He's going to build a winner, I just don't know if it can be NC caliber.

Yeah, I don't think it was a bad move at all for Cal, as he's basically selling a mercenary mentality to these kids of come and play for me for a year (or 2 at most) and if you're good, you'll get to the NBA. I don't think they care if it's in Lexington or Fayetteville. The question gets to be can he build a roster of uber talented kids that can beat a Dan Hurley type team of older guys/men, and personally I think that's going to be hard to do. I'm guessing Cal will start to get a portion of his recruiting energy to also established portal guys so he has some more age/experience. I still question if he can throw that all together in 1 year and be successful.

And, at AR, he's certainly going to have more control and sounds like he also pre-arranged having a few important NIL donors on board. He's going to build a winner, I just don't know if it can be NC caliber.
NC caliber? No way. If he couldn’t do it in Lexington, there’s no way he does it now. My question would be can he even match what Musselman did? #coachingmatters

Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
NC caliber? No way. If he couldn’t do it in Lexington, there’s no way he does it now. My question would be can he even match what Musselman did? #coachingmatters
well, he kind of did do it in Lex... he won 1 NC and got to what, 4-5 F4s? I think a lot of people thought this years team was a F4 type team. So, it's fair to ask could he have done it again in the current climate, but he had tremendous success there.

As I said, I think he'll also start to focus on getting high caliber 1-2 year xfers so he has more experience and age mixed in, but the big question is does he have comparable or better NIL dollars and if he does, he can be at least as successful in AR.

But, I think Danny Hurley is showing the vision of what teams/rosters need to look like going forward and I don't think over time you can outperform what he's doing with only, or primarily a collection of HS all-stars. Hurley's the vision going forward, not Cal or K.

WE should give him 2 mil in mall gift cards. This one is a no brainer. He's amazing

Totally agree. He’s the one guy that can bring a sixth banner, in spite of who is coaching. We’ve been mediocre for far too long… time to pony up to put IU basketball back on the college hoops map. We all deserve it, as does the greater landscape of college basketball.

Totally agree. He’s the one guy that can bring a sixth banner, in spite of who is coaching. We’ve been mediocre for far too long… time to pony up to put IU basketball back on the college hoops map.
"the one guy"...

I'd love to have Boogie...but the recent track record for teams led by freshmen guards isn't very good...when it comes to FF's and Natty's. You really think IU/Woody would be the team/coach to break that mold?

yeah I only watched for 10-15 minutes, but from what I saw, that kid is big time talent.

But was he REALLY interested in IU? Or just using us to up the ante with Cal?
It was thought by most IU was leading UK up until the last couple of weeks. To be honest, I imagine Cal's billionaire backer will come through for him here and he ends up in Arkansas. That seems to be the obvious play.

With that being said, he didn't decommit right away and you would think if there were some behind the scenes action taking place, that would've happened earlier? Maybe not, it probably takes more time. But if he somehow feels jaded by Cal or truly is considering a search, IU will seem like a top viable option again and we should have NIL available.

Honestly, I think this was just another of his variations of crying wolf and prompting another job offer to try and force the current school to up their offer and in this case UK called him on it so he went through with it, because it's a good situation. I know he's done this on other occassions and remember it once when he was toying with NC St and pushing Memphis to give him a bigger budget for assistant coaches. I recall that he did it another time, but don't remember where, but seems to be a ploy he's used and in this case UK called his bluff.
I disagree. He knew that he was at the end of the rope. I think a big part of it is that his ego wasn’t going to put up with a season of people second guessing him and diminishing him at every turn. He stays in the landscape he knows well with a longer leash and a commitment for NIL dollars that he had regularly expressed were falling short at UK. I think he made this move for himself and as an F*** you to UK. He’s a smart guy and knew that he didn’t have the leverage to bluff them.

Reactions: OpenWheels
It was thought by most IU was leading UK up until the last couple of weeks. To be honest, I imagine Cal's billionaire backer will come through for him here and he ends up in Arkansas. That seems to be the obvious play.

With that being said, he didn't decommit right away and you would think if there were some behind the scenes action taking place, that would've happened earlier? Maybe not, it probably takes more time. But if he somehow feels jaded by Cal or truly is considering a search, IU will seem like a top viable option again and we should have NIL available.
No way to know for sure.

DJ Wagner now in portal. Arkansas is going to have a handful of UK kids next year, I'm sure.

Reactions: YOTHN and kkott
yeah I only watched for 10-15 minutes, but from what I saw, that kid is big time talent.

But was he REALLY interested in IU? Or just using us to up the ante with Cal?
Total guess from following it: he did like IU per reports and IU may have been his favorite. However, Cal is just a sure thing with getting PGs to the league with big contracts, and someone in his camp convinced him to go the safe route with Cal.

If he goes to Arkansas the above would look a little more likely, but we’ll never know unless he tells us.

I honestly doubt he matches Musselman.
It'll be interesting to see it unfold. If a couple/few of the incoming UK frosh flip over to Arkansas, he'll have the same issues he had recently at Kentucky. First order of business though, as he joked about in his opening Arkansas presser...he needs to field a team. If I were him, I'd strive for 4,4,and 4... 4 highly rated freshman, 4 highly rated underclass portal kids, 4 graduate portal kids. But in reality, he's probably just going to chase talent at this point.

Fland, DJ Wagner, Adou Thierro, and a grad big like the ones we're looking at would be a good and realistic start.

In the end, I hope he has to deal with a team like Crean's first season or two at IU.

Total guess from following it: he did like IU per reports and IU may have been his favorite. However, Cal is just a sure thing with getting PGs to the league with big contracts, and someone in his camp convinced him to go the safe route with Cal.

If he goes to Arkansas the above would look a little more likely, but we’ll never know unless he tells us.
That’s my thinking as well.

Personally, I think he wanted out of Lexington due to angry and low loyalty over his early exits the last four years.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
IMO, IU is too far down in the dumps to make a big investment in someone who is going to gone after one season.

It'll be interesting to see it unfold. If a couple/few of the incoming UK frosh flip over to Arkansas, he'll have the same issues he had recently at Kentucky. First order of business though, as he joked about in his opening Arkansas presser...he needs to field a team. If I were him, I'd strive for 4,4,and 4... 4 highly rated freshman, 4 highly rated underclass portal kids, 4 graduate portal kids. But in reality, he's probably just going to chase talent at this point.

Fland, DJ Wagner, Adou Thierro, and a grad big like the ones we're looking at would be a good and realistic start.

In the end, I hope he has to deal with a team like Crean's first season or two at IU.
thierro left Uk before Cal, probably didn't see a future with the roster UK had and the freshman coming in. will be surprised if he ends up at Arkansas. I would like to see IU get involved with him, good player.

One would think...

Ar you referring to Kansas?
(Or maybe North Carolina)?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT