ADVERTISEMENT

First lawsuit against Biden’s college loan forgiveness program for deadbeats.

How much am I spending in gas and maintenance? What if I don't have car? Room and board cost money. You can't go to IU or even IUPUI for 25K total anymore, and they are public, in state schools. It is screwed up that it costs 100K to go to IUB now: no debate necessary.

I never said Aloha or anybody else had to pay for my school. I paid off undergrad. However, I'm allowed to think the cost was way too high (which it was) and want to subsidize things like education and health care. I want to pay what Boomers paid for law school: that is fair.

P.S. You should have went to Cornell.
I didn't have a car while at IU. I walked. Apparently, it was harder for you. What did you do, crawl?

Walked, biked, and rode the bus: it worked out. I liked walking around campus.
I got a bus pass my first semester and decided I didn't need it and couldn't afford it. Walked from then on. I didn't own a bike. I agree that walking around campus was enjoyable. Not being able to drive somewhere off campus wasn't, but it was what it was.

I got a bus pass my first semester and decided I didn't need it and couldn't afford it. Walked from then on. I didn't own a bike. I agree that walking around campus was enjoyable. Not being able to drive somewhere off campus wasn't, but it was what it was.
Either the bus was free with student ID when I was there or it was part of tuition/fees. I got a pretty good work out riding and walking up the hills. I really only rode the bus when I had to go to Target or Wally World.

True, but I also can't sell it.
Sure you can. Your law degree and what you know has huge value. You sell it each time you bill a client.

I have a more or less vivid memory of a conversation I had when I let an associate lawyer go from our firm. I told him is law degree, his willingness and ambition to use it to earn a living, and his reputation is something nobody can ever take from him. Shortly after he left, he changed careers and thrived. He made his own job for a different organization. We remained friends.

Sure you can. Your law degree and what you know has huge value. You sell it each time you bill a client.

I have a more or less vivid memory of a conversation I had when I let an associate lawyer go from our firm. I told him is law degree, his willingness and ambition to use it to earn a living, and his reputation is something nobody can ever take from him. Shortly after he left, he changed careers and thrived. He made his own job for a different organization. We remained friends.
That's using it, not selling it. If you have a house that's too expensive to stay in, you can get out of it by putting it on the market and using your gains to minimize your financial liabilities. You can't do that with an education.

Of course, they can't repossess it, either, so it goes both ways.

• Sad
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Excessive student loans are a choice.
Exactly.... nobody forced anyone to take out the loans. I don't get where they are coming from. Like I said in a previous post I've made my share of bad decisions in my life that I just had to live with. Unless universities misled students getting loans then it's on them and students certainly have a lot more ways to get info about careers, loans, etc than I had. If someone wants to borrow to get a degree in basket weaving and they can't get a job when they get out why should taxpayers pick up the tab. They could have determine that there was no market for basket weavers before they ever took out the loans.

Exactly.... nobody forced anyone to take out the loans. I don't get where they are coming from. Like I said in a previous post I've made my share of bad decisions in my life that I just had to live with. Unless universities misled students getting loans then it's on them and students certainly have a lot more ways to get info about careers, loans, etc than I had. If someone wants to borrow to get a degree in basket weaving and they can't get a job when they get out why should taxpayers pick up the tab. They could have determine that there was no market for basket weavers before they ever took out the loans.
This is their true meaning of empathy. They get a bad case of the feelz and then we pay for it. The normal procedure, start with a $10k case of the feels, slip in it us slowly until we get comfortable. We shut up and relax, then BAM they will get a $50k case of the feelz and ... well you know the rest. over and over and over..

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
That's using it, not selling it. If you have a house that's too expensive to stay in, you can get out of it by putting it on the market and using your gains to minimize your financial liabilities. You can't do that with an education.

That’s an interesting take. Your time and talents is something you can sell over and over and never run out. You sell your house and you don’t have a house.

This is their true meaning of empathy. They get a bad case of the feelz and then we pay for it. The normal procedure, start with a $10k case of the feels, slip in it us slowly until we get comfortable. We shut up and relax, then BAM they will get a $50k case of the feelz and ... well you know the rest. over and over and over..
It is the Democrat way. They will solve all the ills of the world..........

with other people's money.

If you have gains, yes. I've bought 5 houses to date, and I ended up with no gain on one of them. I had to fork out $22,000 to sell it because I couldn't get enough in the sell. I almost gladly wrote the check because it at least increased my cash flow since I had been continuing to pay the mortgage for a few months while trying to sell it. I'd also already bought another house and was living in that. Gains aren't guaranteed. I'm sitting pretty with the current house though - it has definitely appreciated.

If you have gains, yes. I've bought 5 houses to date, and I ended up with no gain on one of them. I had to fork out $22,000 to sell it because I couldn't get enough in the sell. I almost gladly wrote the check because it at least increased my cash flow since I had been continuing to pay the mortgage for a few months while trying to sell it. I'd also already bought another house and was living in that. Gains aren't guaranteed. I'm sitting pretty with the current house though - it has definitely appreciated.
I didn't say anything about gains. Point is real property is something you can divest yourself of. That's why comparing student debt to other kinds of debt doesn't really work.

C'mon... that is uncalled for. Nowhere have I seen goat complaining about having to pay off his loans. If he works 50-60 hours a week he's definitely not an alcoholic.
My father-in-law was an alcoholic and easily worked 50-60 hours a week around heave equipment.

Study alcoholism sometime - many alcoholics are workaholics so they can afford their habbit.

It's also uncalled for to delete my thread that broke not forum rules or delete my posts that also broke no forum rules.

Seems the rules around here are for thee, but not for me.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
How much am I spending in gas and maintenance? What if I don't have car? Room and board cost money. You can't go to IU or even IUPUI for 25K total anymore, and they are public, in state schools. It is screwed up that it costs 100K to go to IUB now: no debate necessary.

I never said Aloha or anybody else had to pay for my school. I paid off undergrad. However, I'm allowed to think the cost was way too high (which it was) and want to subsidize things like education and health care. I want to pay what Boomers paid for law school: that is fair.

P.S. You should have went to Cornell.
"should have went"?

And you graduated from law school? Or did you just attend?

Good thing is if this goes through people in certain states will likely get a big tax bill for the loan amount forgiven even if they never had any intention of paying it off. I believe Indiana has said they will be taxing this. Loans that are forgiven are typically counted as income. Should be funny watching libs getting that bill.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
I know everyone is happy to help this poor soul out....

giphy.gif

Reactions: NPT
I'd like to see a federal program that adds $10K to his student debt as a punitive measure.

This exactly what I was talking about in a earlier post I made in this thread.

This guy needs his checkbook and credit cards taken away from him and be sentenced to spend nine weeks in church basements sitting through Dave Ramsey seminars.

Some people buy the biggest house and the most expensive car that the bank allows them to buy. We got pre-approved for a ridiculously high mortgage amount, decades ago now, and said "no effin' way". Cut that amount in half and make it 15 years, not 30, save for college tuition, save for retirement, and drive Hondas not BMWs.

What's it matter? If they have jobs and they are making their payments, it's not right to dismiss them as deadbeats.

I drive a 2018. It's the newest car I've ever owned. I needed a decent car with good mileage because I drive a lot. Otherwise, I live cheaply. I work between 50-60 hours a week, and I save most of my paycheck, excepting the money I spend to take care of Mama Goat, who can't afford everything she needs with her paltry SS payments.
Don't repeat my mistakes and start working already in college! If you are wondering how you can combine work and study, I recommend this website: https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/police-brutality/ with free essay samples that you can use for homework!
I'm a dumbass who took out way too much student debt. Biden's relief does nothing for me. In fact, nothing short of total forgiveness would. I'll be on income-based payments until my 25 years are up, and then the amount that's written off will very likely be more than my total balance is now. That sucks, but it is what it is. But it doesn't make me a deadbeat. It just makes me a guy who took on way too much debt.
It's really hard for students to pay off their student debt, so I always knew that working and studying was the only way out today. Yes, combining work and study is not easy, but you have to try and develop your skills. This is especially true for students.

I’ll defend the youngsters a bit here. Of course kids today can forfeit going away to IUB. Of course they could live at home. These are measures that have always been available to cut college costs.

But that, to me, doesn’t appreciate the true current cost. In Alohas day, a kid could work a summer job and use the money earned to pay for a year of school. That’s simply impossible today. A kid can’t earn $20-30k in a summer.

I’m Gen X and I had a summer job in law school with the state. I worked with folks who went to IU Indy night law school. Low paying job covered tuition and provided some money for housing and food. Part time tuition and fees is over $24k today. The plan that worked 20 years ago isn’t possible today.

It’s maybe a policy decision. Should an Indiana kid who wants to attend an instate school be able to do it? To me, the answer just has to be yes. I fear we face terrible consequences down the road otherwise. Only 33% of college graduates are male. That’s very concerning.

It’s maybe a policy decision. Should an Indiana kid who wants to attend an instate school be able to do it? To me, the answer just has to be yes.
When a public education isn't available to the public, it doesn't make much sense and defeats the purpose of the public institution. I do know that IU and other public institutions have increasingly accepted out of state and foreign students and charge them way more than in-state kids: I thought they initially did this to offset lack of public funding, but maybe they are just greedy as well?

There are a lot of grumpy, out of touch old men on here. Most college grads aren't earning 350 K a year: that is the old some (or even one) equals all fallacy.

I don't know if price would increase but I bet admissions would decrease at least in the short term as loans wouldn't be handed out to just anyone.

And you don't think rates would also have to compensate the additional risk?

I think rates would track how they do now. If you had parents who have good credit co-signing, no, I don't think rates would really change. If you didn't, then you would be paying higher rates like people do for homes and cars when their credit rating is not as good.

What additional risk? The schools aren't on the hook for the loans. The Feds are.

Edit: I may have misunderstood. There would be no effect on tuition rates. Interest rates could be effected.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT