ADVERTISEMENT

Final Four set for Indy

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Indy is the best at this kind of thing.

They really need to move the College World series to indy as well.
I would argue that Indianapolis used to be the best at this kind of thing. But, after the way the "peaceful protests" have left downtown and how the current Mayor has let crime run rampant in the city it is no longer the place it used to be. T

Reactions: Jssanto
I would argue that Indianapolis used to be the best at this kind of thing. But, after the way the "peaceful protests" have left downtown and how the current Mayor has let crime run rampant in the city it is no longer the place it used to be. T
The peaceful protests were peaceful. The riots, which used the protests to hide their thuggery, lasted one weekend. Afterwards, people still marched with signs and chanted, and businesses painted the plywood with murals, and some protestors even helped in the clean-up effort. The police played a big part in the recovery by listening to groups and not ruling with an iron fist. The scene at the governor's mansion, where the protestors and the cops hugged it out before walking back to the Circle and dispersing was truly an inspiring moment, and probably saved Indy from any further damage. For the most part, things have recovered from that weekend.

On the other hand, we are still in a diminished capacity for bars and restaurants because some idiots still can't seem to figure out that the best way to return to full capacity is to wear masks and practice social distancing.

BTW, when was the last time you were in downtown Indy?

Prob
That ain’t ever leaving Omaha

You may be right and that is too bad. Indy has a better venue, surrounding downtown area and general area for the usual youth tournaments that come to the event. Omatucky built that new stadium because they absolutely were going to lose it id they stuck with Rosenblatt.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil

No doubt that Indy has taken it's lumps the last few years with youth violence and homelessness downtown. Hoggsett...and IU grad and SAE owns some of it through not clamping down hard early on but Indy is still a good destination just not as safe to walk at night as it was five years ago.

As an Illini fan and a Chicago resident, I definitely prefer, say, the BTT to be in Chicago rather than Indy due to the home crowd advantage and personal appeal for me ... but my sister lives in Indy and I must admit, that is one of the nicest, most functional downtown areas I have ever been in. It’s a beautiful and unintimidating city center, and it’s set up PERFECTLY to host things like this.

Reactions: UncleMark
That ain’t ever leaving Omaha
Zero chance it will ever leave Omaha, which does a fantastic job hosting it in a top notch venue. The Deising’s have been great stewards of the event, and it will remain in Omaha until at least 2036 (by agreement).

The peaceful protests were peaceful. The riots, which used the protests to hide their thuggery, lasted one weekend. Afterwards, people still marched with signs and chanted, and businesses painted the plywood with murals, and some protestors even helped in the clean-up effort. The police played a big part in the recovery by listening to groups and not ruling with an iron fist. The scene at the governor's mansion, where the protestors and the cops hugged it out before walking back to the Circle and dispersing was truly an inspiring moment, and probably saved Indy from any further damage. For the most part, things have recovered from that weekend.

On the other hand, we are still in a diminished capacity for bars and restaurants because some idiots still can't seem to figure out that the best way to return to full capacity is to wear masks and practice social distancing.

Businesses painted the plywood with murals? Bwwwwwaahhhaaahhaaahhaa. Jesus, the stupidity of trying to portray this as a positive is too much.😂😂😂😂

For me, about ten years. I do not know answers. I am for peaceful protests but not the hijack to looting. Indy has a lot I think. NCAA headquarters, natatorium, high school final four in basketball and final two in football. And that downtown mall I remember as huge. The children’s museum was great as I recall as was the river walk. Doesn’t the Monon trail go all over for bikes and jogs?
Likely other stuff I have forgotten or is new.

Businesses painted the plywood with murals? Bwwwwwaahhhaaahhaaahhaa. Jesus, the stupidity of trying to portray this as a positive is too much.😂😂😂😂
Didn’t say it was positive, but businesses made the best of it. I hope the laughter was not at the existence of the murals, because I walked by them for weeks, and saw them being created.
Now, the fine people who defaced the beautiful BLM artwotrk, painted on Indiana Avenue, near the Madame CJ Walker theater we’re probably more to your liking.

For me, about ten years. I do not know answers. I am for peaceful protests but not the hijack to looting. Indy has a lot I think. NCAA headquarters, natatorium, high school final four in basketball and final two in football. And that downtown mall I remember as huge. The children’s museum was great as I recall as was the river walk. Doesn’t the Monon trail go all over for bikes and jogs?
Downtown is vibrant and my wife and I explore it all the time.

We are certainly more careful than we used to be and leave earlier especially Thursday - Sat and the riverwalk is out but it is still a great downtown. Sad what some people chose to do during the protests as it overtook the message. We disagree on the value of painted plywood though.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Didn’t say it was positive, but businesses made the best of it. I hope the laughter was not at the existence of the murals, because I walked by them for weeks, and saw them being created.
Now, the fine people who defaced the beautiful BLM artwotrk, painted on Indiana Avenue, near the Madame CJ Walker theater we’re probably more to your liking.
There it is. I criticize your remarks & you call me a rrrrraaaaaaccciiiist. Perfect defense for anything you don’t like, just insinuate the other party is a racist. You‘re a real stand up dude....

I work downtown everyday. Downtown is virtually no different than it was before the protests\riot.

There has been an uptick in murders, but other crime is down. Murder is such a rare occurrence per capita that the increase means very little to an individual's chance of being killed. Basically, your odds of being killed in Indianapolis went from .018 percent to .02 percent. And that's if you're here everyday for a year. Visiting for a weekend, that chance goes down to .0002 percent. And if you make reasonable choices, like going home before midnight and not trying to score drugs on the street, it's even lower.

Crime is not rampant.

I work downtown everyday. Downtown is virtually no different than it was before the protests\riot.

There has been an uptick in murders, but other crime is down. Murder is such a rare occurrence per capita that the increase means very little to an individual's chance of being killed. Basically, your odds of being killed in Indianapolis went from .018 percent to .02 percent. And that's if you're here everyday for a year. Visiting for a weekend, that chance goes down to .0002 percent. And if you make reasonable choices, like going home before midnight and not trying to score drugs on the street, it's even lower.

Crime is not rampant.

Nice spin Mayor Hogsett.

2018 159
2019 158
2020 160 YTD

I understand that this isn't all downtown and the 38th St corridor is high (BLM??) but the murder rate in my hometown is awful and on the wrong trajectory. Indy doesn't need to emulate Chicago.

Is there anything open past 8:00pm in downtown Indy? It’s as sleepy as can be.

Nice spin Mayor Hogsett.

2018 159
2019 158
2020 160 YTD

I understand that this isn't all downtown and the 38th St corridor is high (BLM??) but the murder rate in my hometown is awful and on the wrong trajectory. Indy doesn't need to emulate Chicago.
It isn't all downtown? No kidding. There have probably been less than 10 murders downtown this year. I've read about 1, maybe 2.

And the murder rate doesn't actually have much to do with whether downtown is safe enough to host the final 4. Anyone who spends much time downtown knows it is safe enough, whether you like it or not.

I haven't checked, but I'll bet they won't hold the final 4 at the Pepsi Coliseum with a 1 AM tip-off, with the Vice Lords handling concessions. Pretty smart.

It isn't all downtown? No kidding. There have probably been less than 10 murders downtown this year. I've read about 1, maybe 2.

And the murder rate doesn't actually have much to do with whether downtown is safe enough to host the final 4. Anyone who spends much time downtown knows it is safe enough, whether you like it or not.

I haven't checked, but I'll bet they won't hold the final 4 at the Pepsi Coliseum with a 1 AM tip-off, with the Vice Lords handling concessions. Pretty smart.

triggered.

I work downtown at Illinois and Ohio Street. Downtown is nothing like it used to be. Still many businesses boarded up. The inactivity is due to COVID as well but many business just boarded up and said to hell with it.

I work downtown at Illinois and Ohio Street. Downtown is nothing like it used to be. Still many businesses boarded up. The inactivity is due to COVID as well but many business just boarded up and said to hell with it.
There was a 1-2 punch of virus and civil unrest, but the pandemic caused most of the issues (with the exception of the Illinois St. CVS, which was all riot).
Downtown is still recovering from the pandemic. It’s not where it was, but it’s making strides. Stop retreating back to your suburb at 5:00, and look around. New places are opening, old places are reopening, and many areas are flourishing. Heck, I would bet with the indoor/outdoor hybrid seating model on Mass. Avenue, there are as many if not more people out and about. And just wait until Bottle Works opens. And have you seen all the new housing (apartments, condos, townhomes, etc) going up? It’s far from a ghost town down here.

There was a 1-2 punch of virus and civil unrest, but the pandemic caused most of the issues (with the exception of the Illinois St. CVS, which was all riot).
Downtown is still recovering from the pandemic. It’s not where it was, but it’s making strides. Stop retreating back to your suburb at 5:00, and look around. New places are opening, old places are reopening, and many areas are flourishing. Heck, I would bet with the indoor/outdoor hybrid seating model on Mass. Avenue, there are as many if not more people out and about. And just wait until Bottle Works opens. And have you seen all the new housing (apartments, condos, townhomes, etc) going up? It’s far from a ghost town down here.
is the winners circle back open? horse racing sports betting place

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT