ADVERTISEMENT

F1 - 2024 Season

You mean......Prost's McClaren right.....

vbg
I didn’t experience Senna/Prost in real time, but I get the sense those two really deserved each other as they played the F1 political game.

The thing I never understood with Senna was how he was usually focused on safety and he ran out to help Comas, etc., but he also got emotional and smashed into Alain at 140mph — they could have flipped in that gravel trap and died. People are often contradictions I guess.

Reactions: larsIU
Interesting starting grid for turn 1. A Ferrari 1-2 after turn 1 could be an interesting race.

2024 F1 Monaco Grand Prix - Qualifying Results
PosDriverNat.TeamQ1Q2Q3
1Charles LeclercMONScuderia Ferrari1m11.584s1m10.825s1m10.270s
2Oscar PiastriAUSMcLaren F1 Team1m11.500s1m10.756s1m10.424s
3Carlos SainzESPScuderia Ferrari1m11.543s1m11.075s1m10.518s
4Lando NorrisGBRMcLaren F1 Team1m11.760s1m

Interesting starting grid for turn 1. A Ferrari 1-2 after turn 1 could be an interesting race.

2024 F1 Monaco Grand Prix - Qualifying Results
PosDriverNat.TeamQ1Q2Q3
1Charles LeclercMONScuderia Ferrari1m11.584s1m10.825s1m10.270s
2Oscar PiastriAUSMcLaren F1 Team1m11.500s1m10.756s1m10.424s
3Carlos SainzESPScuderia Ferrari1m11.543s1m11.075s1m10.518s
4Lando NorrisGBRMcLaren F1 Team1m11.760s1m
The announcing crew for this race is horrible. Talking and giggling about fizzy drinks and iced coffee. Now asking about Monaco’s three national animals.

This woman is just ridiculous.

Get Don Fischer.

The announcing crew for this race is horrible. Talking and giggling about fizzy drinks and iced coffee. Now asking about Monaco’s three national animals.

This woman is just ridiculous.

Get Don Fischer.
Haha. The usual Sky announcers are on ABC. ESPN2 has a broadcast for kids or something.

I’m not sold on the idea of that alternative broadcast. Not sure who would prefer that.
My system program guide - AltaFiber - just shows paid programming on ABC, though the regular broadcast is on. The race only showed up on the guide on ESPN2. This alternative thing was cartoonish. Blech.

I’m not that into the constructors, but that could be interesting this year if Checo struggles. I know RB will be tough when the series gets back to the bigger tracks with long straights — so it’s still probably a long shot.

I’m not that into the constructors, but that could be interesting this year if Checo struggles. I know RB will be tough when the series gets back to the bigger tracks with long straights — so it’s still probably a long shot.
Sainz is still available but sounds like RBR resigning Checo is imminent. The most interesting rumor is Williams offering some ownership to Newey and bringing on Sainz. Though that seems like a longshot.

Sainz is still available but sounds like RBR resigning Checo is imminent. The most interesting rumor is Williams offering some ownership to Newey and bringing on Sainz. Though that seems like a longshot.
Sorry, I meant the Constructors Championship this year and if anyone could challenge RB.

As for your post re: Sainz: very hard to figure his next move out. He doesn’t have any good options. I thought Audi would be appealing: #1 spot, long and lucrative contract with a works team. Something is holding him back. With RB and Merc out, it must be this Williams pitch you mentioned. Confusing.

Reactions: FrankTGucker
Hmm. He got his two year deal vs one. Good for him. A lot of drivers will be wild cards with the ‘26 car — not sure what driving style that thing will favor.

On the rest of the RB front it seems like Ricciardo is fairly safe, probably because like Checo he is marketable. He’s getting beat pretty clearly by Yuki, yet it doesn’t seem like Liam is close to getting a shot. Bleh.

Last edited:
I like the fact that the cars are smaller. No idea if it’s going to produce better racing of course

I posted same thing same time! I deleted mine.

Hopefully it races well — when it comes to aero changes even today you just don’t know until the car races.

Power is 50/50 ICE and electric. Little 1.6L turbos will now make around 1/3 less HP. Even with no MGU-H I doubt these things will sound much better.

‘26 may spread out the field again like ‘22 did. TBD. Hope not.

It’s easier to make the cars smaller than the tracks bigger. Mechanical grip will be key to put EV torque on the asphalt. Starting grid Traction Control ? When downforce is zero?

It’s easier to make the cars smaller than the tracks bigger. Mechanical grip will be key to put EV torque on the asphalt. Starting grid Traction Control ? When downforce is zero?
I think traction control is still banned. Could be tougher to get good starts more torque from electric motor as you point out. Kinda cool.

Battery/energy mgmt will probably be more, probably much more important. ~500hp from the electric motor — that can only be for short periods of time. I don’t see how to sustain that much power for very long.

F1 is already talking new engines in 2030. This 50% ICE may be too weak.

Last edited:
I think traction control is still banned. Could be tougher to get good starts more torque from electric motor as you point out. Kinda cool.

Battery/energy mgmt will probably be more, probably much more important. ~500hp from the electric motor — that can only be for short periods of time. I don’t see how to sustain that much power for very long.

F1 is already talking new engines in 2030. This 50% ICE may be too wimpy.
Stall torque from an electric motor is nearly infinite… it’s why EVs are quick off the line.

I get that — but beyond that my technical understanding gets weak. I probably missed your point, my bad.
I think you got it well enough… TC being banned … can be compensated by limiting power to minimize the mismatch with grip, without measuring wheel slip. The tire models have to be spot on … tire temps are available.
Watch for an IR heat sensor pointed at the track.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT