ADVERTISEMENT

Examining The Offseason Momentum Of Each Big Ten Program( 7-UP, 7-Down)

red hornet

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2019
From Saturday Tradition:

Illinois-Down

Indiana-UP Disappointing Outback Bowl loss aside, Indiana is surging as a program. Star QB Michael Penix Jr. will be back in 2021 & if healthy, look out! Tom Allen has shown he can get the most out of his players & the best news is Allen hasn't been poached yet by one of the blueblood programs. If Indiana can improve its dreadful line play, this team will be in the mix again in 2021. Keep an eye out this week for which Indiana players elect to return & which go pro. If the Hoosiers get a bunch of guys back, 2021 should be very good again.

Iowa-UP

Maryland-UP

Michigan-Down

Minn-Down

Nebraska-Down

NW-UP

OSU-UP

PSU-Down

MSU-Down

Purdue-Down

Rutgers-UP

Wisc-UP

Last edited:
From article: “If Indiana can improve its dreadful line play, this team will be in the mix again in 2021.”

Carpenter is a great add, but Coach Hiller may need to step up his game too!
Hmmmmmm........seems a bit harsh considering the lack of creativity on the offensive side of the ball. The line play can improve but so can the play calling etc.

Good point. It was a most enjoyable season and it hard to take a negative view. But the lack of creativity was to me a major factor all year long and especially in the bowl game. We had the QB we needed, adequate running backs and outstanding wide receivers but ended up 92nd in the country in yards gained and 50 something in points scored. It seem like we were not fully utilizing our skill players and allowing them to play to their full potential, including lack of playing time for some. This was DeBord offense and was often frustrating to watch. How many 1 yard gains up the middle can you watch every game. Coach Allen can not ignore this factor and am sure it will be addressed.

Good point. It was a most enjoyable season and it hard to take a negative view. But the lack of creativity was to me a major factor all year long and especially in the bowl game. We had the QB we needed, adequate running backs and outstanding wide receivers but ended up 92nd in the country in yards gained and 50 something in points scored. It seem like we were not fully utilizing our skill players and allowing them to play to their full potential, including lack of playing time for some. This was DeBord offense and was often frustrating to watch. How many 1 yard gains up the middle can you watch every game. Coach Allen can not ignore this factor and am sure it will be addressed.
In 2019 everyone was saying that Wommack was in over his head and it needed to be addressed. What a difference a year makes.
Think we should give Sheridan time to fully adjust to his job. Let's see what 2021 brings before throwing him to the wolves.

In 2019 everyone was saying that Wommack was in over his head and it needed to be addressed. What a difference a year makes.
Think we should give Sheridan time to fully adjust to his job. Let's see what 2021 brings before throwing him to the wolves.
I am willing to give him another year to see what he does with the offense. He had a more experienced group than Wommack did his first year but if Sheridan can make changes like Wommack did adding zone coverages for the secondary then we will be happy.

Reactions: IndyIUFan66
I am willing to give him another year to see what he does with the offense. He had a more experienced group than Wommack did his first year but if Sheridan can make changes like Wommack did adding zone coverages for the secondary then we will be happy.
Yes, Sheridan has the perfect mentor in that coach out at Fresno St. Go out there and spend some time with him this summer and review your season. He knows what to do but seems to need some reminding.

So Penix leading the BIG in passing before the injury and that was because of Sheridan’s bland offense. Then Tuttle comes in and beats Avery very good defensive team in Wisconsin. He was moving the ball and making great throws against Ole Miss until getting injured. It is ok to believe IU has some pretty good coaches in victory and in defeat.

Yes, Sheridan has the perfect mentor in that coach out at Fresno St. Go out there and spend some time with him this summer and review your season. He knows what to do but seems to need some reminding.
That would be sick. Is it a thing that happens though?

The Hoosiers can't be averaging three yards a rush again next season. They don't have to run the ball but they have to be able to run the ball. Awfully tough to keep quarterbacks healthy when the defensive front is dead set on sacking the quarterback on every play.

So Penix leading the BIG in passing before the injury and that was because of Sheridan’s bland offense. Then Tuttle comes in and beats Avery very good defensive team in Wisconsin. He was moving the ball and making great throws against Ole Miss until getting injured. It is ok to believe IU has some pretty good coaches in victory and in defeat.
You are right but by taking a deeper look at our offense this season somethings were not right. IU finished #94 in total yards and #52 in scoring. Unfortunately, IU can't sustain success with that kind of production. We saw Penix drop from 68% completion rate to under 60% under Sheridan which is where our QBs were under DeBord.

I point to the defense to show how talent evaluation, scheme, and coaching improve players. Our offense took a step backwards in yards and points this season although we didn't have the off-season games to pad the numbers which could distort the stats. Still the defense improved this year with this schedule while the offense didn't.

My fear is without the short fields the defense gave us we would have done much worse this season. I never felt like our offense could drive down the field and score. I will give coach Sheridan some praise for his red zone play calling as IU was much better scoring TDs in this area.

That would be sick. Is it a thing that happens though?
Yes it is. Sometimes a coach will take the whole staff or a portion to visit another coach. I remember a few years back one of our coaches took his offensive staff out to Utah or some place out west to learn the pistol formation one summer.

Reactions: vesuvius13
You are right but by taking a deeper look at our offense this season somethings were not right. IU finished #94 in total yards and #52 in scoring. Unfortunately, IU can't sustain success with that kind of production. We saw Penix drop from 68% completion rate to under 60% under Sheridan which is where our QBs were under DeBord.

I point to the defense to show how talent evaluation, scheme, and coaching improve players. Our offense took a step backwards in yards and points this season although we didn't have the off-season games to pad the numbers which could distort the stats. Still the defense improved this year with this schedule while the offense didn't.

My fear is without the short fields the defense gave us we would have done much worse this season. I never felt like our offense could drive down the field and score. I will give coach Sheridan some praise for his red zone play calling as IU was much better scoring TDs in this area.

What I found interesting is the WR screen that was so successful disappeared this season...up until the bowl game when it was used to little success. It’s almost like he went back to look at tape of last year. The issue being tuttle doesn’t quite have the same arm AND was injured so the ball wasn’t getting there quite as fast and Hale/Westbrook were really good blockers

Reactions: vesuvius13
Mike DeBord went on to being OC at San Deigo Fleet and now an OA at Michigan.

Kalen Deboer went on to being a head coach at Fresno St.

Which trajectory does Sheridan want to mimic? He may want to rethink his strategy.

Coach Sheridan does need to change his offense even if it is tweaks to what is going on. Then change the play calling to give QBs intermediate pass routes and check downs. Having Penix go from 68% to 58% is the wrong thing to do.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
You may want to look at the age and overall careers very dumb

I realize you are dumb. You don't need to announce it.

Why? Coaches move up or down in their career based on how they perform. You think if DeBord has success at IU then he would have taken a pay cut and moved on to a smaller program?

Answer: No

Don't be dumb

I realize you are dumb. You don't need to announce it.

Why? Coaches move up or down in their career based on how they perform. You think if DeBord has success at IU then he would have taken a pay cut and moved on to a smaller program?

Answer: No

Don't be dumb
You are the dumb one Deboard was ready to retire from Tennessee and CTA called him to come home to Indiana. Don’t know what made him decide to take the San Diego job because he was ready to retire. But to compare his situation to DeBoer is flat stupid. No way was Deboard seeking a head position like DeBoer. He had already won national championship as a play caller been a head coach at CMU. Coached at CSU NW UM. Coached in the NFL. It is dumb to think they had same goals now. Yes if they were same age probably.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
So he turned down a head coaching position at fresno st level or higher school?

Whatever dude. He obviously is not ready to retire after all and highly doubt he turned down better paying jobs for his current gig.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT