ADVERTISEMENT

Evangelicals call Jesus "weak" and "liberal"

things like teachers gone bad and you were far, far more reticent to jump to the same conclusion. You viewed it as one bad apple. Yet here you are ready to make a much larger leap.
I have no idea what you're talking about.
How many conversations? One? Ten? One hundred? That matters. Right now it is a bunch of articles pointing to one guy giving anecdotal evidence that at least some people believe this (which I am sure there are some that do). Those people should be set straight because they are wrong but there isn't any evidence provided that this is widespread.
Do you honestly believe that the people Moore references are outliers? That these are isolated cases? Were you watching the live coverage of the January 6 riot? How did you miss the "Jesus Saves" signs, the "Jesus is my Savior, Trump is my president" messaging, the cross tethered to the flag, the woman holding up the famous portrait of Jesus by artist Warner Sallman that had been altered to depict Jesus wearing a MAGA hat? Had you stepped away when the Shaman, wearing a pagan headdress, led a group in the Senate chamber that bowed their head in prayer to consecrate the building and their cause to Jesus? To JESUS?

It wasn't on January 6, but did you hear Franklin Graham warn Americans of God's wrath if they had the temerity to criticize Trump?

What about Joseph McBride, the far-right lawyer who represented several of the rioters? Last March he tweeted, "As Christ was crucified and then rose again on the third day, so too will Donald Trump."

With Trump the new god, why are you skeptical that so many would embrace his vindictiveness, his hateful rhetoric, his false witness, his obsession with seeking retribution against his opponents, his "an eye for an eye" mentality, and his ongoing "Revenge Tour 2023-2024?" All of that, of course, is antithetical to the teachings of Christ, but that doesn't matter to people who never had much Christian faith to begin with. Jesus is so 1st Century. Trump is happening now!

It’s not an interesting question. I’ll help you out. It’s 2023. All Americans have never been softer. Your perception of what is “macho” is the issue.
My teenage evangelical self could not possibly disagree with this more. And it has nothing to do with the relative softness of Americans.

Which facet of Jesus should be focused on? The badass cleansing of the temple Jesus with rough carpenter hands willing to mix it up or the much softer sermon the mount Jesus with his beatitudes and cheek turning.

And even using the macho Jesus as the core, how does that Jesus comport, if at all, to the modern American conception of machismo.

To that extent, what is your definition of macho?

My teenage evangelical self could not possibly disagree with this more. And it has nothing to do with the relative softness of Americans.

Which facet of Jesus should be focused on? The badass cleansing of the temple Jesus with rough carpenter hands willing to mix it up or the much softer sermon the mount Jesus with his beatitudes and cheek turning.

And even using the macho Jesus as the core, how does that Jesus comport, if at all, to the modern American conception of machismo.

Father And Son Men GIF by Natalie Palamides

There's no "macho Jesus." He wasn't a spiritual badass. That's a fiction promoted by "Christian" nationalists who are working to replace the Jesus of the Gospels with Thor or Rambo.

Jesus got pissed on that one occasion when he concluded that the temple was being defiled, but the essence of his message, his ministry and his life was peace, kindness and compassion.

Reactions: TommyCracker

Both

The issue is the internet and how information is percolate to people. Bowlmania is a perfect example of it. He takes a partisan article about one person and applies it to a large swath of people to get to his desired outcome of “Conservatives are bad and Trumps suck”. There is nothing objective in his post or article. It’s just gossip and opinions, like most of the articles. The only point he is making is humans are tribal and the internet is amazing at providing dopamine hits.

Both

The issue is the internet and how information is percolate to people. Bowlmania is a perfect example of it. He takes a partisan article about one person and applies it to a large swath of people to get to his desired outcome of “Conservatives are bad and Trumps suck”. There is nothing objective in his post or article. It’s just gossip and opinions, like most of the articles. The only point he is making is humans are tribal and the internet is amazing at providing dopamine hits.
I never said or implied that "conservatives are bad." You're oblivious to the Christian Nationalist movement, you've got a limited intellect, and your posts are typically a shitshow.

Both

Trump does suck. True conservatives aren't bad. However, I'd say the editor of a large Christian magazine (whatever form it's in these days) is a pretty good source for having a pulse of what's pulling at Christian groups these days.

Trump does suck. True conservatives aren't bad. However, I'd say the editor of a large Christian magazine (whatever form it's in these days) is a pretty good source for having a pulse of what's pulling at Christian groups these days.
I agree Trump sucks. The rest is gossip from a dude.

I never said or implied that "conservatives are bad." You're oblivious to the Christian Nationalist movement, you've got a limited intellect, and your posts are typically a shitshow.
lol…the Christian Nationalist movement. You’re hopeless. You should build yourself a bunker. I’m sure a group of 77 year old Christian Nationalists are coming for you. My advice is don’t eat before they get there. They’ll probably make you eat a second helping of lasagna.

lol…the Christian Nationalist movement. You’re hopeless. You should build yourself a bunker. I’m sure a group of 77 year old Christian Nationalists are coming for you. My advice is don’t eat before they get there. They’ll probably make you eat a second helping of lasagna.
It's happening. Now how far it gets remains to be seen.

If you want a local to the Indy area example, look up Micah Beckwith out of Noblesville. All of these national politicians talking about legislating through Christianity, that's Christian Nationalism.

If you want a local to the Indy area example, look up Micah Beckwith out of Noblesville. All of these national politicians talking about legislating through Christianity, that's Christian Nationalism.
Should I also be scared of the woke mob, as well? It’s amazing how paranoid you people are. Get off the internet. You live in central Indiana with a bunch of white Christians. They’re not scary.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
Should I also be scared of the woke mob, as well? It’s amazing how paranoid you people are. Get off the internet. You live in central Indiana with a bunch of white Christians. They’re not scary.
Not paranoid at all, just noting it exists.

They aren't scary until they get into power and start legislating. They're attacking public schools in this state.

They aren't scary until they get into power and start legislating. They're attacking public schools in this state.
I work in public schools. I’m not being attacked.

And now attacking public libraries.

Pretty soon the 3 little pigs book will be in the adult section.

Leave poor snarl alone. He enjoys his head in the sand.

Some of us don’t scare easy 😉
I'm on the left side of the same camp as you I believe. People are too doom and gloom. The media on both sides just want clicks and eyeballs. the easiest way to get those is to promote conflict whether it exist or not. Usually it's manufactured. And it can be dangerous. Causes stupid shit like some of the summer of love riots and J6.

However, we common sense folks(I.E. not an old shriv or low IQ tribal fanboy) on both sides need to start shouting down the wackadoos in our own parties. The common sense right needs to shout down the wackadoo right. The common sense left needs to shout down the wackadoo left. Both sides have an extreme sect that needs to get bent and let the normal folks live our lives.

I'm on the left side of the same camp as you I believe. People are too doom and gloom. The media on both sides just want clicks and eyeballs. the easiest way to get those is to promote conflict whether it exist or not. Usually it's manufactured. And it can be dangerous. Causes stupid shit like some of the summer of love riots and J6.

However, we common sense folks(I.E. not an old shriv or low IQ tribal fanboy) on both sides need to start shouting down the wackadoos in our own parties. The common sense right needs to shout down the wackadoo right. The common sense left needs to shout down the wackadoo left. Both sides have an extreme sect that needs to get bent and let the normal folks live our lives.
Heck, it's hard enough here where EVERYONE is so middle of the road.

:rolleyes:

Tell your people to quit trying to impose your views on others. I grew up in 'the church'. I grew out of it. Religion is little more than control.
Enjoy Hell...

You're on your way.

You won't 'grow out of' what's in store for you.

There are groups, however, targeting teachers and kids for their beliefs, starting around the spring of 2021. It's not make believe. It's direct from their own social media posts. It's barely reached media, so you can't blame it on that.

They are part of the wackadoos, as you put it.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
How many conversations? One? Ten? One hundred? That matters. Right now it is a bunch of articles pointing to one guy giving anecdotal evidence that at least some people believe this (which I am sure there are some that do). Those people should be set straight because they are wrong but there isn't any evidence provided that this is widespread.

Whomever has those opinions is wrong. Take what I said above and realize this is written for you to make the conclusion that you have come to and you ate it up. Also realize that a spot like Libs of Tik Tok provides far more evidence, on video, of things like teachers gone bad and you were far, far more reticent to jump to the same conclusion. You viewed it as one bad apple. Yet here you are ready to make a much larger leap. That is where Goo's accusation comes from. And people like Bloom get an opportunity to show their antipathy to religion to drive it home even more. You know how you can find an atheist in a room? Don't worry they'll tell you. Over and over and over again.
Libs of Tik TOK….holy moly. You’ve turned into dbm.

Heck, it's hard enough here where EVERYONE is so middle of the road.

:rolleyes:
Refuting near extreme doesn't make one extreme, unless one is arguing they aren't extreme enough. There were those who didn't feel MLK didn't go far enough in his protests, but that was real time feelings for real time situations.

Anyone thinking Jesus' teachings are too liberal for them isn't a Christian. Wouldn't that make them Jewish? #askingForAFriend

Back when Promise Keepers was a thing, their convention each year was in Indianapolis. My father owned a business, car dealership, on the West side of Indianapolis and would often golf with another business owner, strip club. Their second or third busiest non-race weekends were when Promise Keepers were in town. He said other strip clubs saw a similar trend too.

Give the dads their due though. Back then May four weekends of race activity, unlike it is today.

Their busiest weekend, if I remember correctly, was the weekend before Thanksgiving.
My brother in law worked at a high end restaurant. Said the servers all hated that weekend because they were absolutely the worst tippers.

There are groups, however, targeting teachers and kids for their beliefs, starting around the spring of 2021. It's not make believe. It's direct from their own social media posts. It's barely reached media, so you can't blame it on that.

They are part of the wackadoos, as you put it.
It's a small group. The common sense folks on the right should take care of them. Just as we should take care of the morons on our side. I feel the tide is turning. People are sick of the extreme right and left. I don't want to go to my fridge and have to decide if my mustard is either woke or not woke enough. Barbie was a movie about a doll coming to life. Sound of Freedom was an action movie thats been made before. Country music still sucks. Or doesn't. Who f--king cares. And I know I'm mostly preaching to the choir here. That's my point.

* Edit. I also realize this is a message board and not real life. It's a place to argue extremes. So carry on everyone. 😂

Yep. I’m going to Noblesville school board meeting tonight where they are discussing the library, that John Green has brought national attention to. Again.

My brother in law worked at a high end restaurant. Said the servers all hated that weekend because they were absolutely the worst tippers.

The last restaurant I went to had recommended tips between 22% and 28%. When I was a kid, it was 15% that was expected. Personally I think we should just do like most every other country and just have the employer pay the salary

Yeah, and Carmel (Fishers too), with Marion County still locked down, was a complete sh*t show the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving in 2020. The Broad Ripple crowd had nowhere to go, so they piled into bars they wouldn't normally be at on a 'non-school' night.

A bunch of 20-somethings got tossed on their butts outside. If you didn't have a seat you had to leave.

The last restaurant I went to had recommended tips between 22% and 28%. When I was a kid, it was 15% that was expected. Personally I think we should just do like most every other country and just have the employer pay the salary
A lot of servers would quit. Prices would be too high. I tip 30% in my regular spots, but it takes a lot for me in other places to tip less than 20%.

Refuting near extreme doesn't make one extreme, unless one is arguing they aren't extreme enough. There were those who didn't feel MLK didn't go far enough in his protests, but that was real time feelings for real time situations.

Anyone thinking Jesus' teachings are too liberal for them isn't a Christian. Wouldn't that make them Jewish? #askingForAFriend
I think you have quoted the wrong post for your reply.
Leave me out of your bullshit, and I'll leave you out of mine.
Deal?

Reactions: Spartans9312
Yep. I’m going to Noblesville school board meeting tonight where they are discussing the library, that John Green has brought national attention to. Again.
Is it the school board or city council the appoints one on the library board? Because it's Noblesville that put Micah Beckwith on the HEPL. It's been a disgraceful display in Fishers since the election.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT