ADVERTISEMENT

Evangelicals call Jesus "weak" and "liberal"

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
Guess what? The core tenets of Christianity, such as the commandment to love one another and the Beatitudes ("blessed are the meek, blessed are the merciful," etc.) are obsolete. And/or they're for p*ssies. Jesus' directive to turn the other cheek? "Where did you get those liberal talking points?"

"What was alarming to me is that in most of those scenarios, when the pastor would say, 'I'm literally quoting Jesus Christ,' the response would not be, 'I apologize.' The response would be, 'Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak.' When we get to the point where the teachings of Jesus Christ himself are seen as subversive to us, then we're in a crisis."

The weaponization of Christianity is nothing new, and the bastardization of a faith to advance an ideological and/or political agenda is hardly unique to Christianity. But I never imagined that people who claim to be Christians would actually go after The Guy himself, the "Christ" in Christianity. Jesus Christ.

Guess what? The core tenets of Christianity, such as the commandment to love one another and the Beatitudes ("blessed are the meek, blessed are the merciful," etc.) are obsolete. And/or they're for p*ssies. Jesus' directive to turn the other cheek? "Where did you get those liberal talking points?"

"What was alarming to me is that in most of those scenarios, when the pastor would say, 'I'm literally quoting Jesus Christ,' the response would not be, 'I apologize.' The response would be, 'Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak.' When we get to the point where the teachings of Jesus Christ himself are seen as subversive to us, then we're in a crisis."

The weaponization of Christianity is nothing new, and the bastardization of a faith to advance an ideological and/or political agenda is hardly unique to Christianity. But I never imagined that people who claim to be Christians would actually go after The Guy himself, the "Christ" in Christianity. Jesus Christ.

Good post. But I fear it will prompt a response reminiscing about Godfather's Pizza.

Edit: i meant Gotti's.

Last edited:
Reactions: T.M.P.

To them, Jesus is an orange man.

I just talked to Jesus. He said only idiots read Newsweek.

Reactions: vesuvius13
How's this, ace? I'm thinking the New York Post is probably more your speed anyway.

Nope. I don’t read any of that. It’s nonsense that allows stupid people like you to express their bigotry towards people you don’t like. I don’t need an article to tell people I don’t like them. For example, I don’t like you because you’re a f#cking douchebag.

Nope. I don’t read any of that. It’s nonsense that allows stupid people like you to express their bigotry towards people you don’t like. I don’t need an article to tell people I don’t like them. For example, I don’t like you because you’re a f#cking douchebag.
And you're a loser who's just taking up space here.

But you're right about one thing. I'm not a fan of so-called Christians who make a mockery of Christ's message.

But you're right about one thing. I'm not a fan of so-called Christians who make a mockery of Christ's message.
It was one persons opinion in a stupid article. The reality is you just wanted to be a c#%t towards conservatives, which for the record is great. Just make it funny. You can always find a good Meme or Tik Tok video. Stop being such a dork. Nobody cares about some f#cktwat in Newsmax. Do better.

Last edited:

Just sit back and enjoy the giant bag of rats eating each other. Republicans turning on other republicans for not being Trumpy enough. Now they’re going after Jesus. I don’t believe in any religious horseshit so it makes no difference to me what they say regarding Jesus or God or Allah or whoever. Get some popcorn. They’re soon going to be justifying editing Jesus out of the New Testament.

It was one person’s opinion in a stupid article. The reality is you just wanted to be a c#%t towards conservatives, which for the record is great. Just make it funny. You can always find a good Meme or Tik Tok video. Stop being such a dork. Nobody cares about some f#cktwat in Newsmax. Do better.
It wasn't "one person's opinion." He's a prominent Christian leader who is recounting conversations between pastors and congregants.

You're unable to defend these pro-Trump evangelicals - - purported Christians - - who have flat-out rejected the central message of Christ, so you've turned it into a personal attack against me. That's ok, though. I wouldn't expect anything more from you.

Tell your people to quit trying to impose your views on others. I grew up in 'the church'. I grew out of it. Religion is little more than control.
I doubt that Goo is a member of any church, which is true of many "Christian" nationalists. It's a political movement, with a limited-in-scope theological thread running through it.

Reactions: TommyCracker
It wasn't "one person's opinion." He's a prominent Christian leader who is recounting conversations between pastors and congregants.
How many conversations? One? Ten? One hundred? That matters. Right now it is a bunch of articles pointing to one guy giving anecdotal evidence that at least some people believe this (which I am sure there are some that do). Those people should be set straight because they are wrong but there isn't any evidence provided that this is widespread.
You're unable to defend these pro-Trump evangelicals - - purported Christians - - who have flat-out rejected the central message of Christ, so you've turned it into a personal attack against me. That's ok, though. I wouldn't expect anything more from you.
Whomever has those opinions is wrong. Take what I said above and realize this is written for you to make the conclusion that you have come to and you ate it up. Also realize that a spot like Libs of Tik Tok provides far more evidence, on video, of things like teachers gone bad and you were far, far more reticent to jump to the same conclusion. You viewed it as one bad apple. Yet here you are ready to make a much larger leap. That is where Goo's accusation comes from. And people like Bloom get an opportunity to show their antipathy to religion to drive it home even more. You know how you can find an atheist in a room? Don't worry they'll tell you. Over and over and over again.

How many conversations? One? Ten? One hundred? That matters. Right now it is a bunch of articles pointing to one guy giving anecdotal evidence that at least some people believe this (which I am sure there are some that do). Those people should be set straight because they are wrong but there isn't any evidence provided that this is widespread.

Whomever has those opinions is wrong. Take what I said above and realize this is written for you to make the conclusion that you have come to and you ate it up. Also realize that a spot like Libs of Tik Tok provides far more evidence, on video, of things like teachers gone bad and you were far, far more reticent to jump to the same conclusion. You viewed it as one bad apple. Yet here you are ready to make a much larger leap. That is where Goo's accusation comes from. And people like Bloom get an opportunity to show their antipathy to religion to drive it home even more. You know how you can find an atheist in a room? Don't worry they'll tell you. Over and over and over again.
So your opinion is right, their opinion is wrong. Very wordy for that gibberish

You know how you can find an atheist in a room? Don't worry they'll tell you. Over and over and over again.
Lol. Keep a journal of conspicuous acts of religiosity vs conspicuous of atheism that you see and one is going to VASTLY outnumber the other.

But shifting gears to the original articles posted. Has there been a shift in evangelical orthodoxy over the last 20 years from the “loving Christ” to a more aggressive or badass version? I’ve only been in a liberal Presbyterian church any time recently and I wouldn’t presume it’s got a finger on the pulse of evangelicalism. I do know that a lot of the 90s evangelical trends like Promise Keepers has gone by the way side, but I don’t know if that speaks to a change in opinions or just a reflection of that organization solely.

Lol. Keep a journal of conspicuous acts of religiosity vs conspicuous of atheism that you see and one is going to VASTLY outnumber the other.

But shifting gears to the original articles posted. Has there been a shift in evangelical orthodoxy over the last 20 years from the “loving Christ” to a more aggressive or badass version? I’ve only been in a liberal Presbyterian church any time recently and I wouldn’t presume it’s got a finger on the pulse of evangelicalism. I do know that a lot of the 90s evangelical trends like Promise Keepers has gone by the way side, but I don’t know if that speaks to a change in opinions or just a reflection of that organization solely.

It is amazing that iucrazy hasn't heard religious people stating their opinions over and over and over again.

Many religious people think spreading the gospel and judging others is in the job description

Last edited:

I do think there is a conflict in the current MAGA wing and the teachings of Jesus. Anecdotal I know, but locally there is a clear divide in two Catholic parishes. One is much more conservative and certainly appeals to an older, Fox News set. The other is more focused on kindness and doing good for others.

There are certainly some MAGA supporters that don’t want to hear the latter message. They are convinced that we are at war and something needs to be done. Unfortunately, a little kindness isn’t always where they go.

*Note: I am responding to the OP and article posted. This post does not touch on those who do not observe a religion.

This is a topic about religion, and I'm not the one calling people vile or evil.

Not in my experience, people love, love, love to let you know how dumb they think religion is when the opportunity arises. But anyways...
Not that I have noticed, then again I can only speak for the evangelicals I have been around my entire life. There may be some burgeoning movement somewhere, but I haven't noticed it. I do however believe that in any movement you will find people who have views that don't follow the norm for the crowd and wouldn't be accepted by the whole. Did they try polling evangelicals to get a pulse on this? I don't see any. What I do see is a high profile figure with a bone to pick with parts of the church he belonged to (because of a sex scandal) offering anecdotal evidence that at least one person (the one conversation he offered) thinks turning the other cheek is for wussies. That one instance is then used to paint Evangelicals and Trump voters in particular as the Big Bad. And it plays to a whole bunch of people because of their built in prejudices for both of those groups. And when those two groups overlap, hoo boy, well you have a whole host of people ready to believe just about any negative thing that can be printed.

Back when Promise Keepers was a thing, their convention each year was in Indianapolis. My father owned a business, car dealership, on the West side of Indianapolis and would often golf with another business owner, strip club. Their second or third busiest non-race weekends were when Promise Keepers were in town. He said other strip clubs saw a similar trend too.

Give the dads their due though. Back then May four weekends of race activity, unlike it is today.

Their busiest weekend, if I remember correctly, was the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Not in my experience, people love, love, love to let you know how dumb they think religion is when the opportunity arises. But anyways...

Not that I have noticed, then again I can only speak for the evangelicals I have been around my entire life. There may be some burgeoning movement somewhere, but I haven't noticed it. I do however believe that in any movement you will find people who have views that don't follow the norm for the crowd and wouldn't be accepted by the whole. Did they try polling evangelicals to get a pulse on this? I don't see any. What I do see is a high profile figure with a bone to pick with parts of the church he belonged to (because of a sex scandal) offering anecdotal evidence that at least one person (the one conversation he offered) thinks turning the other cheek is for wussies. That one instance is then used to paint Evangelicals and Trump voters in particular as the Big Bad. And it plays to a whole bunch of people because of their built in prejudices for both of those groups. And when those two groups overlap, hoo boy, well you have a whole host of people ready to believe just about any negative thing that can be printed.

The majority of evangelicals voted for a sexual abusing adulterer. It isn't a stretch to think they don't exactly follow the gospel.

Back when Promise Keepers was a thing, their convention each year was in Indianapolis. My father owned a business, car dealership, on the West side of Indianapolis and would often golf with another business owner, strip club. Their second or third busiest non-race weekends were when Promise Keepers were in town. He said other strip clubs saw a similar trend too.

Give the dads their due though. Back then May four weekends of race activity, unlike it is today.

Their busiest weekend, if I remember correctly, was the weekend before Thanksgiving.
WWJD baby.

Jesus would’ve preached to strippers. The jury is out on whether he would’ve done it while getting a lap dance, but gotta evangelize to be evangelical.

Bigots gonna bigot. Enjoy your thread.
If my joke was considered bigotry, I apologize.

Though you should consider whether someone saying “I think you’re wrong” is bigotry. Because, presumably, you think they’re wrong. And presumably you think other religions are wrong. And if using the first definition, that would make an adherent of one religion who denies the truth of any other religion (or non-religion) a bigot as well.

If my joke was considered bigotry, I apologize.

Though you should consider whether someone saying “I think you’re wrong” is bigotry. Because, presumably, you think they’re wrong. And presumably you think other religions are wrong. And if using the first definition, that would make an adherent of one religion who denies the truth of any other religion (or non-religion) a bigot as well.
As iucrazy said, bigots gonna bigot. If that was him tapping out then i am fine with him doing his bigoting in another thread.

I apologize. I gave you too much credit. I always assumed you were sh#t posting when you made these posts. I didn’t realize you actually take these types of articles serious.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
I apologize. I gave you too much credit. I always assumed you were sh#t posting when you made these posts. I didn’t realize you actually take these types of articles serious.
I wouldn’t be so quick to assume it’s shitposting.

It’s certainly a fact that evangelical orthodoxy did a 180 between 2000 & 2016 when it comes to the importance of a personal relationship with Jesus and/or whether the morality/behavior/values of a political candidate matters when casting votes.

I don’t think it’s out of bounds to ask questions about whether there has been a sea change as well from the softer side of Jesus to the macho side.

Reactions: larsIU
I wouldn’t be so quick to assume it’s shitposting.
Unfortunately, he was serious.
It’s certainly a fact that evangelical orthodoxy did a 180 between 2000 & 2016 when it comes to the importance of a personal relationship with Jesus and/or whether the morality/behavior/values of a political candidate matters when casting votes.

I don’t think it’s out of bounds to ask questions about whether there has been a sea change as well from the softer side of Jesus to the macho side.
It’s not an interesting question. I’ll help you out. It’s 2023. All Americans have never been softer. Your perception of what is “macho” is the issue.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT