ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Fitzner commits to Indiana

Not a great individual pickup as far as talent, but what he brings to the team (ability to stretch the floor and draw out bigs) makes him good a piece in the puzzle. Gives Morgan more room to operate, and removes one opponent big from doubling him.

Sorry @bsmitty08 hope you get over him being a mid major ..vbg

Not a great individual pickup as far as talent, but what he brings to the team (ability to stretch the floor and draw out bigs) makes him good a piece in the puzzle. Gives Morgan more room to operate, and removes one opponent big from doubling him.

He's not going to be eating up big minutes unless Davis can't play. Just an extra big with some shooting range. This IU bench is the deepest that I can recall that has a lot of interchangeable players without too much loss of production. Watch out for Hunter!!! He has a great work ethic and will improve just like Justin did.

He's not going to be eating up big minutes unless Davis can't play. Just an extra big with some shooting range. This IU bench is the deepest that I can recall that has a lot of interchangeable players without too much loss of production. Watch out for Hunter!!! He has a great work ethic and will improve just like Justin did.
Right, he's obviously a bench role player, probably 8 to 12 minutes a game but he does supply a role and piece we didn't have. Last year Morgan, especially late in season played in a very clogged lane, this guy will help stretch the floor and is a perfect compliment interior player to Juwan's game. It may also tell us that Moore, Forrester, Thompson aren't up to speed, yet. Or that he's not confident in Davis' recovery.

since we didn't go after any guards, that probably tells us Arch is confident in our guard core next year.

Would have liked us to get in on the Joe Cremo sweepstakes but that would have likely meant a 3 guard line up. God forbid....

Hey, St. Mary's is no mid-major...I got my Master's there! It's smaller than a mid major!

The gaping hole left by Prillar's departure has been filled. Sweet.

Seriously, this is a nice pickup. Kid has a chance to contribute.

Hey, St. Mary's is no mid-major...I got my Master's there! It's smaller than a mid major!
When IU was orange I picked a bunch of teams to watch to get my basketball fix. I went for smart skill oriented teams because that's what I like and was sick of orange ball. St. Mary's, Belmont, Davidson, were my go to teams. I watched St Mary's the most because they were on late night.

Go Gaels .. lol

Reactions: IUgradman
The gaping hole left by Prillar's departure has been filled. Sweet.

Seriously, this is a nice pickup. Kid has a chance to contribute.
Yea, but I doubt he can do this....

200.gif

When IU was orange I picked a bunch of teams to watch to get my basketball fix. I went for smart skill oriented teams because that's what I like and was sick of orange ball. St. Mary's, Belmont, Davidson, were my go to teams. I watched St Mary's the most because they were on late night.
"Orange ball." God, I miss that! They are usually very efficient on offense. Fun to watch them run their offense. Long standing pipeline of kids from Australia, of all places. Of course, they sucked when I was there...it was Patty Mills that put them on the map. Beautiful little (and I mean little) campus in the East Bay hills.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Archie must see a role for him or he wouldn't sign the kid.

It is odd to look at his game stats from this season. Makes you wonder if the coach is bi-polar or pulled player names out of a hat to decide who plays and how much. You do not typically see a kid play 6 minutes, then 25 minutes, then 8 minutes, 9 minutes, 30 minutes, etc. What a roller coaster.

"Orange ball." God, I miss that! They are usually very efficient on offense. Fun to watch them run their offense. Long standing pipeline of kids from Australia, of all places. Of course, they sucked when I was there...it was Patty Mills that put them on the map. Beautiful little (and I mean little) campus in the East Bay hills.
They're a fun team to watch play .. I'll miss all my mid major teams as Indiana becomes Indiana again. I'm so damn happy we have a basketball purist and not some gimmicky con artist as coach.

Archie must see a role for him or he wouldn't sign the kid.

It is odd to look at his game stats from this season. Makes you wonder if the coach is bi-polar or pulled player names out of a hat to decide who plays and how much. You do not typically see a kid play 6 minutes, then 25 minutes, then 8 minutes, 9 minutes, 30 minutes, etc. What a roller coaster.

He played four when they went against teams with bigger lineups (where he wasn't a liability) and backed up Londale when they went single post against teams with smaller lineups (where he was). That's probably the major reason why you see such a difference.

If he can help great..just saying if he is playing that little at ST Mary’s does he help us at all?

Reactions: minneman and T.M.P.
Good pickup by you guys. I think he can give you some height and be a productive player off the bench. I have watched him play on a couple videos, and my impression is that he is pretty good.

If he can help great..just saying if he is playing that little at ST Mary’s does he help us at all?
He's not explosive or quick, nor a defensive stopper, but he is skilled, a good shooter decent passer. Like I said earlier as an individual no big deal, but his game and skill set compliments what we do with Morgan very well. I doubt he plays more than 15 a game and probably less but they will be effective minutes. Not that I'm completely thrilled with the pickup but I think we just trust coach on this one.

He's not explosive or quick, nor a defensive stopper, but he is skilled, a good shooter decent passer. Like I said earlier as an individual no big deal, but his game and skill set compliments what we do with Morgan very well. I doubt he plays more than 15 a game and probably less but they will be effective minutes. Not that I'm completely thrilled with the pickup but I think we just trust coach on this one.
Makes me wonder if Moore is leaving or Davis is still a question mark

Makes me wonder if Moore is leaving or Davis is still a question mark

Right.. that's possible, but it may just be a role pickup as no one else has that in their skill set. Seriously, think about how Morgan played and what teams did to him later in the season. And also consider that the interior player we had with Morgan also needed room to score which clogs the lane. This guy helps fix that.. when he is on the floor they can't double with a big, they have to double with a guard or wing, which will open our guards and wings up also.. He's a solid puzzle piece.

Last edited:
6'10" from St Mary's

Well, we’ve fared pretty well with a couple grad transfers....one of which came from a mid-major and both of which played significant, productive minutes.

This is about getting some immediate frontcourt depth — and we need it.

St Mary's has been better than IU the past two years, one of those years he started and the other he was 6th in minutes and had a very high offensive proficiency rating (top 6 in their conference). He should be a solid addition, since he can play either the 4 or 5 and he is a very good shooter. He is sort of a 6'10" healthy Colin Hartman - a very solid, heady player.

St Mary's has been better than IU the past two years, one of those years he started and the other he was 6th in minutes and had a very high offensive proficiency rating (top 6 in their conference). He should be a solid addition, since he can play either the 4 or 5 and he is a very good shooter. He is sort of a 6'10" healthy Colin Hartman - a very solid, heady player.
Put IU In that conference and I doubt ST Mary’s is better than IU

The article says he was the fourth most efficient player in the WAC last year. I bet that was an important stat for Archie. He is committing as a true role player, and his skill set is already defined. We’ll just have to see if he works out the way Arch envisions.

The article says he was the fourth most efficient player in the WAC last year. I bet that was an important stat for Archie. He is committing as a true role player, and his skill set is already defined. We’ll just have to see if he works out the way Arch envisions.
Where will he play? Stretch 4 or the 5?
4: morgan, Moore, Thompson
5 davis, Forrester, Fitzner?

No risk. Potentially good reward. Take a swing. I like it.

Reactions: 76-1
I think Morgan and Smith start. Race and Fitzner off the bench. I doubt the others play much if at all. Davis will see minutes if healthy but that's a big if.

Where will he play? Stretch 4 or the 5?
4: morgan, Moore, Thompson
5 davis, Forrester, Fitzner?
Those frosh bigs won't play extensive minutes until their junior year, unless they're way ahead of the average curve like Davis and Fitzner were. (vbg) A good percentage (30+) of 4 star bigs never earn extensive minutes in 4 years. Almost every 4 star guard and wing will. The transition from HS to College for post players and forwards is a lot harder and many never pan out.

He'll play five with Morgan at four as a pick and pop five to open up the lane for Morgan.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT