ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN confirms.....

Well, he's got Indiana ties obviously! Kind of a yawner hire but never know. Can't see it exciting the fan base much. Obviously the AD kicked a lot of tires because Woodson could have been hired 12 hours after dumb nuts was fired. Appears lots of coaches turned it down.

NBA has no correlation to the NCAA. It’s a completely different world. We hired another guy with zero experience at his current job! It seems quite comparable.
About the only three things that Mike Woodson and Mike Davis have in common are that they’re both named Mike, they’re both black, and they both played college basketball.

But even that last one is tenuous: Davis was a good player, Woodson was a great one.

Woodson played in the show for 14 years and he’s been coaching there for 25 more. Davis had briefly been a lower-level assistant in the CBA and then spent a couple years as an assistant at Alabama.

Just an awful, awful comparison.

Well, I wish Mike luck, history is not on his side (see UCLA post Wooden or hell Indiana post McKracken).

Hope Duke pulls the same nostalgia strings and brings in Dawkins, Amaker or Woj in a couple of years.

That's all this is, a nostalgia play. Unfortunately most of the people that are going to be excited by this are 50 and older.
Hell, I'm well over 50 and I'm neither excited nor disappointed. Just too many shit moves in the recent past precludes being overly optimistic.

I guess it’s time to get behind this hire. Can’t be worse than our strategy of hiring young guys (Davis, Crean and Archie) who looked like 3 deer in the rifle scope.

Two veteran guys in Woodson and Matta that should know what the hell this is all about.

Seen? No, it was a behind the scenes process with speculation run amok. Time will tell.

True, but if it were anything resembling genius, the hire would have gone a lot smoother. Dolson would have contacted a few agents to gauge interest, before he even announced Archie's firing. Line someone up, so he could announce the hiring within a day or two of the firing. That would have avoided a lot of bad press and having 6 guys in the Portal. Just sayin...

Another two decades of misery. Obviously this job is so bad there’s not a top coach in the land interested. Gave Miller 10 million for this? Sounds like the donors told Dolson to bring in an IU guy. Purdue is loving this clown show of a basketball program.

• Haha
Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Hell, I'm well over 50 and I'm neither excited nor disappointed. Just too many shit moves in the recent past precludes being overly optimistic.
So many were excited about Miller and he was a terrible fit. Tend to agree...just need to let this play out. Exciting, no. Successful? Maybe.

Stevens is a mediocre NBA coach but a great college coach. Could Woodson be a great College coach? Maybe. He certainly understands what talent it takes in the NBA and can play that up on the recruiting trail. I think we had to hire someone because we were losing too many people (potentially). You could make a case why not to hire Beard, PoMo, Muss and Drew but what hire is perfect. I hope he hires a potential HIW.

You are exactly the kind of IU fan I'm talking about.

I'll say this, BNL fired their HS coach and brought in Damon. Big win right?

Lasted a couple of years.

Charlotte brought MJ home and big win right? Ehhhh

Nostalgia plays rarely work.

At least there's a former college monster there to help with the college game but.

You do know that the NBA and College games are completely different animals right, especially defensively.

True, but if it were anything resembling genius, the hire would have gone a lot smoother. Dolson would have contacted a few agents to gauge interest, before he even announced Archie's firing. Line someone up, so he could announce the hiring within a day or two of the firing. That would have avoided a lot of bad press and having 6 guys in the Portal. Just sayin...
I don't think he planned to fire Miller until the pressure became too great and the handwriting was on the wall. As they say, it's not how you start but how you finish. If the Woodson / Matta combo is true, Dolson landed on his feet with a good save.

Reactions: BoilerMadness
Another two decades of misery. Obviously this job is so bad there’s not a top coach in the land interested. Gave Miller 10 million for this? Sounds like the donors told Dolson to bring in an IU guy. Purdue is loving this clown show of a basketball program.

Not necessarily loving it, but it is amusing. I do like it a lot more, when the series is competitive.

I don't think he planned to fire Miller until the pressure became too great and the handwriting was on the wall. As they say, it's not how you start but how you finish. If the Woodson / Matta combo is true, Dolson landed on his feet with a good save.
I think a 3-3 finish or better and the NCAA tournament would have meant no coaching change this year.

You are exactly the kind of IU fan I'm talking about.

I'll say this, BNL fired their HS coach and brought in Damon. Big win right?

Lasted a couple of years.

Charlotte brought MJ home and big win right? Ehhhh

Nostalgia plays rarely work.

At least there's a former college monster there to help with the college game but.

You do know that the NBA and College games are completely different animals right, especially defensively.
Those are not good comparisons. Damon didn’t have coaching experience. Woodson has had NBA success. Jordan bought the team so that doesn’t work either. Woodson isn’t a guarantee but neither was anyone else who was going to come. Let’s give him a chance.

That was when my BS alert light went off, when Dolson kept insisting that it was HIS decision alone. It seemed apparent that the donor with the $10 Million buyout money was driving the plot.

That would be an interesting combo, if true. Matta would certainly shore up Woodson's weaknesses. Recruiting will make or break him.

Well, he's got Indiana ties obviously! Kind of a yawner hire but never know. Can't see it exciting the fan base much. Obviously the AD kicked a lot of tires because Woodson could have been hired 12 hours after dumb nuts was fired. Appears lots of coaches turned it down.
Wow are u dumb

Reactions: BoilerMadness
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT