ADVERTISEMENT

Sycamores NIT Semi

Not hearing much bring on Schertz after allowing his team to choke the last few minutes away with a 7 point lead, terrible clock management cost ISU the NIT championship.
Yeah it's going too far to say they had the game won, but the last 90 seconds or so really puzzled me.

That second 3 attempt at the end was as clear a foul as you will ever see.
they were letting them play for sure and the announcers made several references to it. It's the end of the game, and analytics should go out the window. All they needed was a basket, or even a FT. You need points, not 3s. I guess I'm a common sense guy, and not an analytics guy: drive the ball!

Reactions: Spartans9312
I don't think either team thought it was meaningless... winning is winning dude.
No man, that was a hard fought game and tournament that I saw. Both teams deserve credit and Seton Hall especially for hanging in there.

Not hearing much bring on Schertz after allowing his team to choke the last few minutes away with a 7 point lead, terrible clock management cost ISU the NIT championship.
Bring on Scherz... Seriously, I wouldn't annoint him, but if I were Dolson, I'd make sure I met the guy and expressed my respect for what he's doing and let him know, should things ever change in Btown, he'd be getting a call.

He's resurrected that program with energy and great play and enthusiasm. Winning, like most things, is a learned trait. I don't think his teams will make that mistake again.

Reactions: CriticArisen
That might've been the most physical (borderline dirty) game I've seen all year. SH was playing bully ball early and knocking ISU all over the court. When ISU finally starting hammering back, they got back in the game and made it entertaining. I figured the refs would surely tighten things up at some point in fear a fight would break out, but it was like they had somewhere else to be and couldn't be bothered calling fouls. Any free-flowing team like ISU is going to be impacted much more by that kind of style than an ISO team.

they were letting them play for sure and the announcers made several references to it. It's the end of the game, and analytics should go out the window. All they needed was a basket, or even a FT. You need points, not 3s. I guess I'm a common sense guy, and not an analytics guy: drive the ball!
That second to last possession who was it inside who grabbed the rebound and missed? Make that and they win.

You have to make that bunny... Or else hang onto the ball and use the clock! Nice rebound and blows it even before I could cheer.

That's coaching though. I still like him, but apparently even good coaches need to tighten up a few things.

That second to last possession who was it inside who grabbed the rebound and missed? Make that and they win.

You have to make that bunny... Or else hang onto the ball and use the clock! Nice rebound and blows it even before I could cheer.

That's coaching though. I still like him, but apparently even good coaches need to tighten up a few things.
I thought in that case the rebounder should've passed it out. From what I recall, it really wasn't a bunny as he was too far under the basket to use the backboard and wasn't in front where a miss might come back towards him. Wasn't he on the side and the ball just went over the basket? Pull it out, run clock and get the best driving shot you can.

I don't think either team thought it was meaningless... winning is winning dude.
If it was so meaningless why was the place sold out? I think it was a pretty big deal to Indiana State fans.

I thought in that case the rebounder should've passed it out. From what I recall, it really wasn't a bunny as he was too far under the basket to use the backboard and wasn't in front where a miss might come back towards him. Wasn't he on the side and the ball just went over the basket? Pull it out, run clock and get the best driving shot you can.
It was a bunny if he didn't rush it. Yeah, tough shot from the side. Still lay it up over the rim, how hard can that be, not ON the back rim support.

Yeah, I got excited because knew they had a fresh possession! Then he rushed an before you could say 'dumb', he gave it right back to Seton Hall.

It was a bunny if he didn't rush it. Yeah, tough shot from the side. Still lay it up over the rim, how hard can that be, not ON the back rim support.

Yeah, I got excited because knew they had a fresh possession! Then he rushed an before you could say 'dumb', he gave it right back to Seton Hall.
Well, I thought he was shooting over a guy, and no backboard, which is why I didn't think it was an easy shot. But, we're relying on my faulty memory, so... The bottom line is you need points or to take time off the clock. If ISU makes any of the baskets, then obviously it was a good shot, so all I'm doing is armchair quarterbacking. I don't like 3s though because 1) I think you just need points and a layup or even a FT is almost as good. And, 2) missing is contagious and if you start clanking 3s, it can pass on to teammates and all of a sudden you're playing tight. I think with that 7 pt lead under 2, run the clock down and you want to take shots going to the basket where you might get fouled or have a good shot at rebound/putback.

So it’s meaningless because we weren’t good enough to be invited or willfully declined to play in it?

Disturbed.

And a harbinger of what is so utterly wrong with this program and (some of) its fan base.
definitely wasn't meaningless to those 2 teams or the full house of fans that were there.

But, I also agree that we shouldn't have gone, although I don't think I disagree with your sentiment. 1) I don't believe Ware would've played and maybe not others. 2) I don't think enough of that team was coming back to make it meaningful and a learning experience for the team. I suppose Cupps, Galloway and Leal would've played and learned, but I don't want to watch a partial IU team play and I don't think it would've been of value or ended any other way than another large double digit defeat. But, maybe I am part of the problem!

definitely wasn't meaningless to those 2 teams or the full house of fans that were there.

But, I also agree that we shouldn't have gone, although I don't think I disagree with your sentiment. 1) I don't believe Ware would've played and maybe not others. 2) I don't think enough of that team was coming back to make it meaningful and a learning experience for the team. I suppose Cupps, Galloway and Leal would've played and learned, but I don't want to watch a partial IU team play and I don't think it would've been of value or ended any other way than another large double digit defeat. But, maybe I am part of the problem!
Woody didn't want to play so he and his merry men could get a jump on the portal. Look how many portal dudes he's signed already. Clearly a great strategy now that the tournament is over. Cmon man, get a grip.

It definitely was not meaningless and we should have played. The organizers would have loved to have the Indiana brand and ratings in the tournament. The finals were in the center of a city IU dominates. Indy.

Reactions: bbafficionado
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT