ADVERTISEMENT

Epic Cover Songs

maybe my favorite cover I can think of. I like Bruce fine, but they do it so much better. I played the original for my son, and he made a squinty WTF face and was like, "what is this?"

I LOVE The Band,but I just think that the joviality of Garth's accordion on this version turns a song about desperation and decay into more of a sort of cajun campfire song. I'm not sure that Levon even knows what the line about blowing up "the Chicken Man" even refers to- I just don't get the Philly/AC mob vibe of Bruce's lyrics from this version... Singular opinion,sure it won't be shared by many,if any...

On the other hand, I just discovered this kid and THIS version of AC blows me away. He's not only a huge Bruce fan,but he covers both AC and Dancing In The Dark in a way that makes me stand up and take notice. Apparently he grew up in poverty in public housing,and relates to what Bruce lyricized about life in Asbury Park.To me,all of that comes thru in this cover...

I LOVE The Band,but I just think that the joviality of Garth's accordion on this version turns a song about desperation and decay into more of a sort of cajun campfire song. I'm not sure that Levon even knows what the line about blowing up "the Chicken Man" even refers to- I just don't get the Philly/AC mob vibe of Bruce's lyrics from this version... Singular opinion,sure it won't be shared by many,if any...

On the other hand, I just discovered this kid and THIS version of AC blows me away. He's not only a huge Bruce fan,but he covers both AC and Dancing In The Dark in a way that makes me stand up and take notice. Apparently he grew up in poverty in public housing,and relates to what Bruce lyricized about life in Asbury Park.To me,all of that comes thru in this cover...

Hmmm, If you didn't think the Band's accordion and more upbeat vibe fit, how did you connect his British accent with the Philly/AC/mob vibe? And why at his age and being from Britain, would he know who "the Chicken Man" was any better than a bunch of old guys who were around when it happened? I had to google it myself and I was 17 then. Honestly, I thought the kids version was pretty sleepy until his chorus. The different interpretation to me is what makes it interesting. The kids is the same vein as the original to me, lacking the harmonica which I think fits the tune perfectly. Different likes is what makes music great, but your comments didn't make sense to me.

Mystic Eyes - Them (Van Morrison)

And Tom Petty's fantastic live cover. I saw him perform this song live twice - one of my all time favorite live songs I've ever seen.

The Heartbreakers were just amazing with some of their covers they played live.

Evolution of a tune - Statesboro Blues:

Blind Willie McTell with the original

Taj Mahal with a great cover (w/Jessie Ed Davis on slide guitar)

Allman Brothers were obviously largely influenced by Taj's version in their classic version

And then Taj Mahal circles back with this Americana version with Ry Cooder and Buddy Miller on guitar.

Great version of this old tune.

Boss gettin' his Cajun on..

I'm not a huge Seeger Sessions Band fan. I enjoy "Pay me", but for me the essence of that Jazz Fest show was this cover of Blind Alfred Reed's "How can a poor man" with the added N'awlins-centric verses. And the dedication to "President Bystander"...

And not a cover,but in much the same vein. A song I've always loved... From an album full of great songs...

Here's a live radio broadcast from '72. Bonnie Raitt and Lowell George cover Windwood and Clapton (Blind Faith)

Bonnie has had more than a few epic covers over the years. Here she joins Jackson Browne on a cover of a song he wrote in his teens, that was included on his '72 debut album. Among my favorite debut albums of any artist...

Bonnie has had more than a few epic covers over the years. Here she joins Jackson Browne on a cover of a song he wrote in his teens, that was included on his '72 debut album. Among my favorite debut albums of any artist...

I saw her in concert here a few years ago -- still rocking despite the Singapore humidity! The energy levels some fo the folks there had. Bonnie, Jimmy Cliff -- he was off the scale for someone at any age! .

I saw her in concert here a few years ago -- still rocking despite the Singapore humidity! The energy levels some fo the folks there had. Bonnie, Jimmy Cliff -- he was off the scale for someone at any age! .

Here's another classic that I just happened to remember. After The Goldrush was basically the first "rock" album I ever bought, when I joined Columbia Record Club (anyone else?) and it was the "selection of the month". I think I was in junior high,and at that time did not even know Neil had been part of Buffalo Springfield...

At any rate,here's Neil's cover of a Don Gibson classic...

Another classic cover of a country song from the past. Linda Ronstadt performing "Silver Threads and Golden Needles" at a concert in Offenbach. Offenbach is a suburb of Frankfurt,and is a city I once briefly worked in when I (clumsily) worked in an Armed Forces warehouse...

Reactions: sglowrider
Here's another classic that I just happened to remember. After The Goldrush was basically the first "rock" album I ever bought, when I joined Columbia Record Club (anyone else?) and it was the "selection of the month". I think I was in junior high,and at that time did not even know Neil had been part of Buffalo Springfield...

At any rate,here's Neil's cover of a Don Gibson classic...

Another classic cover of a country song from the past. Linda Ronstadt performing "Silver Threads and Golden Needles" at a concert in Offenbach. Offenbach is a suburb of Frankfurt,and is a city I once briefly worked in when I (clumsily) worked in an Armed Forces warehouse...

Here's a song that defines the term "Classic Cover". It's actually a song that Crosby and Stills helped Paul Kanter write,and it was originally recorded by Airplane. But CSN played it at Woodstock,after including it on their debut album. Which again,imho, is one of the greatest debut albums ever recorded...

Btw, this post on youtube caught my eye. I thought it was a pretty cool story and others might enjoy it...

"About 25 years ago a group of us construction workers were on an elevator coming down from a top floor in a high-rise. David Crosby got on a few floors later. we all recognize him and everybody started whispering that's David Crosby . I watched him smile at the recognition. He got off a few floors before the bottom and when he did I held the door so it wouldn't close and I let him walk a few steps before I yelled YO ! He turned around and I said don't forget to tell your wife you were on the elevator with Tom Bradford today. He looked at me and cracked up . He said that's good my friend, I'll make sure I do that. We all laughed our balls off. Needless to say I was the talk of the job site. Great memory. I have always loved CSN and have seen them 7 or 8 times. It was kind of special to me."

Eric Clapton called the Duane Allman guitar playing on Wilson Pickett's Hey Jude cover the greatest guitar work he has ever heard.

Reactions: sglowrider
This is excellent.

Molly covering Dead...

Avetts covering Blaze Foley ..

Daryl Hall and friends including AWB's original bassist.. "covering" AWB.

Jerry Garcia, Tony Rice and David Grisman covering Miles Davis..

Reactions: evvcabinetman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT