ADVERTISEMENT

End of year favorites

zeke4ahs

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2003
I enjoy the best of lists, so asking for favorite book, movie, tv show and anything else you can think of for 2023.
Book: Demon Copperhead and Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow
TV: The Last of US
Movie : Still a few left to see, but as of now Killers of the Flower Moon
Sporting event: IU v PU either game bball

Reactions: larsIU
I didn't see too many movies, or read any fiction. So for TV I will go with Jury Duty. Be like Ronald.

For sporting events, both IU women vs Iowa though that Clark shot makes it hard to mention the away game. But it was a heck of a game.

Athlete - Elly De La Cruz of the Reds, he is a human highlight real. He isn't great (yet) but he is exciting. A simple ground ball by him might be a triple.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
I enjoy the best of lists, so asking for favorite book, movie, tv show and anything else you can think of for 2023.
Read David Sedaris’ Happy go Lucky and David in Mamet’s Death of Free Speech and the Cost of a Free Lunch. Both excellent by excellent writers.

Otherwise, sports, movies, etc. were pretty unremarkable except for Oppenheimer.

GS’s HS hockey is pretty good.

Read David Sedaris’ Happy go Lucky and David in Mamet’s Death of Free Speech and the Cost of a Free Lunch. Both excellent by excellent writers.

Otherwise, sports, movies, etc. were pretty unremarkable except for Oppenheimer.

Me talk pretty one day is pure gold and santaland diaries is probably the funniest short story I have ever read

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Best thread:

Funniest thread:

Best use of GIF:

Best running joke:

Best rivalry between posters:

Best new poster:

Most surprising personal revelation in a post:

Did you see Killers of Flower Moon or Maestro? I thought 2022 was a bad year for movies, but this year was very strong. I’ll see 3 or 4 more in the next few weeks.

Did you see Killers of Flower Moon or Maestro? I thought 2022 was a bad year for movies, but this year was very strong. I’ll see 3 or 4 more in the next few weeks.
One thing Covid did for me with movies is to use the backup button. I’m addicted to replaying important dialog. ;)

I have Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow saved on my amazon list - looking forward to picking that up. And for what it's worth, I save things to my list and usually buy them at bookstores. I'm not above Amazon shopping though.

Here's my list:

Book: Jesus and John Wayne; A Gentleman in Moscow; A Questionable Shape

TV: Last of Us; Shrinking; Upload; Arnold

Movie: No movies jump out as must recommend,but I did enjoy the last Indiana Jones movie, though I know it was sort of panned. Asteroid City was good in a very Wes Anderson-y way.

Sporting event: Nothing is coming to mind; I did really enjoy going to my daugther's high school soccer games. She led her team in goals, so it was always fun to watch her score.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I only read one new book this year, The Armour of Light. Everything else I read this year was older. Best TV this year was probably The Last of Us. I don't generally watch new movies.

I have Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow saved on my amazon list - looking forward to picking that up. And for what it's worth, I save things to my list and usually buy them at bookstores. I'm not above Amazon shopping though.

Here's my list:

Book: Jesus and John Wayne; A Gentleman in Moscow; A Questionable Shape

TV: Last of Us; Shrinking; Upload; Arnold

Movie: No movies jump out as must recommend,but I did enjoy the last Indiana Jones movie, though I know it was sort of panned. Asteroid City was good in a very Wes Anderson-y way.

Sporting event: Nothing is coming to mind; I did really enjoy going to my daugther's high school soccer games. She led her team in goals, so it was always fun to watch her score.
Wes Anderson movie is definitely a Wes Anderson movie. I liked it too. The author of Gentleman in Moscow also wrote Lincoln Highway, which I read and enjoyed this year.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Reactions: Spartans9312
Best Movie I saw this year that I hadn't seen before: Strays. No shit, I don't watch a lot of movies
Best TV: Last of Us
Best Book I read this year that I hadn't read before: Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Sporting Event: IU PU

Best thread: How do you deal with Islam

Funniest thread: Anything with Murt discussing his personal life (non kid related)

Best use of GIF: Too many to count and that's just me

Best running joke: Who is Lucy? (as an aside, where is Lucy?)

Best rivalry between posters: Bowl v McM

Best new poster: mattndallas, probably

Most surprising personal revelation in a post: Seriously? Just give it to Mcm's c*ck

I didn't see too many movies, or read any fiction. So for TV I will go with Jury Duty. Be like Ronald.

For sporting events, both IU women vs Iowa though that Clark shot makes it hard to mention the away game. But it was a heck of a game.

Athlete - Elly De La Cruz of the Reds, he is a human highlight real. He isn't great (yet) but he is exciting. A simple ground ball by him might be a triple.
De La Cruz is likely to start 2024 in AAA.

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Best thread:

Funniest thread:

Best use of GIF:

Best running joke:

Best rivalry between posters:

Best new poster:

Most surprising personal revelation in a post:
Best book: didn't read a single book
Best movie: the godfather
Best tv: vanderpump rules scandoval
Best thread: soccer. duh.
Funniest thread: brad inquiring about flat bills
Best use of gif: so many but ulrey's jack whacking off
Best running joke: kangaroo court
Best rivalary: it's always coh and marv. they are both so polite, both above board, but you can just see the almost esoteric needling
Best new poster: brad's return followed by farva's many handles
Most surprising personal revelation: always what lars is capable of boning followed by Boogerballer isn’t a financial advisor. I’m predicting to learn in 24 that snarl hasn’t bought bitcoin yet

Last edited:
TV: The Bear
Movies: The Killer (I haven’t watched many of the Oscar films yet)
Music: Charles Wesley Godwin “Family Ties”

You mean like this:

Yep, here was Cruz's

Even more incredible was beating out a grounder to 1st

31.2 MPH is getting toward bike speed.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Best book: didn't read a single book
Best movie: the godfather
Best tv: vanderpump rules scandoval
Best thread: soccer. duh.
Funniest thread: brad inquiring about flat bills
Best use of gif: so many but ulrey's jack whacking off
Best running joke: kangaroo court
Best rivalary: it's always coh and marv. they are both so polite, both above board, but you can just see the almost esoteric needling
Best new poster: brad's return followed by farva's many handles
Most surprising personal revelation: always what lars is capable of boning
$10.

Spell it properly. sheesh . . .

Yep, here was Cruz's

Even more incredible was beating out a grounder to 1st
🥇
31.2 MPH is getting toward bike speed.

Hmmm. Usain Bolt top speed was not even 28mph…I call shenanigans on the Reds. It probably should be fps, not mph. He’s really fast, but he’s no Bo Jackson…

Reactions: 76-1
TV: The Bear
Movies: The Killer (I haven’t watched many of the Oscar films yet)
Music: Charles Wesley Godwin “Family Ties”
The Bear was probably my second favorite and The Killer was really well done. I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did.

It got me using captions and I really miss them at theaters now.

She uses them all the time and we always use them when we watch stuff together. What really screws us up is when they're not quite in synch.

We also have fun when they're done poorly, seeing the odd shit they type in compared to what was said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT