ADVERTISEMENT

Eight 4 Star Football Recruits

phnxfan

Benchwarmer
Dec 6, 2008
When was the last time Indiana got this many, (8), 4 star recruits in a single class? I'm thinking, never, but, I could be wrong. I thought IU only got 2 and 3 stars, and an occasional 4 star, but only if he was a hoosier and an IU fan. Am I wrong?

2013 and 2019 had 4 4 stars. I don't recall any years with more than 4.

2013: Fant, Latham, Allen and Kenney
2019: Robbins, Mullen, James and Williams
So eight 4 stars matches our two best classes, combined.

Now imagine if we had a single class of Fant, Latham, Allen, Mullen, James (to go with the obvious other under rated talents in that class). That's essentially what we have here. That's how you build a program.

IU has done a good job of getting some under the radar 2-3* kids and getting them to produce 4-star output. Micah McFadden. Whop Philyor, Peyton Ramsey,.

On the flip side, can someone name the last Rivals 4-star from the state of Indiana that went on to have a solid career at IU? A kid we landed from this state who was a 4-star that produced like a 4-star?

Well, if IU can have as good a year or better as they had 2 years ago, I can see more 4stars and maybe some 5 stars interested In committing! Hopefully gone are the days with 10 2 star recruits sprinkled in with only a few 3 stars!
The Big 10 Network, a real football stadium and the reputation of the strength and conditioning program have had a lot to do with recruiting gains. LEO

What’s the draw to IU for all the four stars particularly after last season?
I'm totally baffled by it to be honest. I have no clue how that was held together. Problem is they better produce now because I don't think the fanbase will tolerate another 2021. That was putrid.

Reactions: vesuvius13
On the flip side, can someone name the last Rivals 4-star from the state of Indiana that went on to have a solid career at IU? A kid we landed from this state who was a 4-star that produced like a 4-star?
Latham was from North Central. Latham played well at IU. He was HM all big ten. Left after his jr year and signed as an Undrafted Free agent. But agree, the rest of them from Indiana high schools didnt pan out so well

Latham was from North Central. Latham played well at IU. He was HM all big ten. Left after his jr year and signed as an Undrafted Free agent. But agree, the rest of them from Indiana high schools didnt pan out so well
The kid from Pike in Indy, the 4* WR, was a disappointment...had size, hands and atheticism..

Allen was asked this question and he said it is b/c they have built relationships with the players.

I agree with his answer. It also helps that we were finally able to get kids on campus this year as well plus coming off back to back January bowls helps.

It'll be interesting to see how recruiting goes this year. We've got relationships already going with kids going back a year or two in some instances with the instate kids. Allen has shown that he can recruit and close on kids that he wants (for the most part, we'll never get everyone we want). It's a plus to have Daeh in the mix early. If he's like his brother and can be the leader of the class, we can hopefully string a couple good classes together and mess around and do some damage in the B1G.

Now we need to develop and see the results on the field. It's nice to have a higher starting point though.

So eight 4 stars matches our two best classes, combined.

Now imagine if we had a single class of Fant, Latham, Allen, Mullen, James (to go with the obvious other under rated talents in that class). That's essentially what we have here. That's how you build a program.
Allen and Latham had multiple suspensions and arrests. Allen ended up in prison. Latham was suspended a couple of times. His antics resulted him not getting drafted. Somebody else came to IU after getting kicked out of Ohio State for evading the police.

There has not been much off-field drama under CTA. Kudos about that! That has to help with recruiting the right kind of player.

Allen and Latham had multiple suspensions and arrests. Allen ended up in prison. Latham was suspended a couple of times. His antics resulted him not getting drafted. Somebody else came to IU after getting kicked out of Ohio State for evading the police.

There has not been much off-field drama under CTA. Kudos about that! That has to help with recruiting the right kind of player.
I thought it was self explanatory but I was referring to talent....

Reactions: vesuvius13
I thought it was self explanatory but I was referring to talent....
College freshmen were nine years old when these guys were recruited. I was just pointing out that character is not too heavily weighted by the recruiting services.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT