ADVERTISEMENT

East Allen County School District may begin drug testing students next year...

rickyIU

All-American
Nov 14, 2001
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Opinions from EACS parents (on Facebook) varies greatly across the board, but there's been quite an uproar. If you were a parent, would you sign off on this? (your system may already have it implemented)

Just an assumption, but I imagine the teachers of the district aren't drug tested.

EACS Could Drug Test Students

Last edited:
I wonder what this guy would have to say about it?

094b20976529015fed6d146bbc6b7b03.jpg

We actually had this at my school way back when. It really isn't all that big of a deal as long as you aren't doing what you aren't supposed to be doing anyway. And it's only for those who are involved in extra-curriculars anyway.

I went to Hamilton Southeastern and graudated in 2001. If you drove to school or played a sport then you could be drug tested and they did it "randomly". It was definitely not random. And I thought it was complete crap. I think a parent sued but i dont know if they still do this or not.

[QUOTE="

We actually had this at my school way back when. It really isn't all that big of a deal as long as you aren't doing what you aren't supposed to be doing anyway. And it's only for those who are involved in extra-curriculars anyway.[/QUOTE]

That attitude is just about the worst you could possibly have for civil liberties in this country.

I'm a goodie two shoes. I've literally never done any illegal drugs in my life. Not even once. But all be damned if I am going to submit to a drug test 'just because' even though I'd pass with flying colors.

They're big money makers for pharma and insurance. The piss test probably costs 15 cents to make in bulk. They charge 80 to 180 for a test. Lab techs can run 100's in a hour. Do the math. that's one hell of a profit.

Last edited:
I wonder what this guy would have to say about it?

094b20976529015fed6d146bbc6b7b03.jpg

We actually had this at my school way back when. It really isn't all that big of a deal as long as you aren't doing what you aren't supposed to be doing anyway. And it's only for those who are involved in extra-curriculars anyway.

That is how it was at Warsaw, athletes got drug tested. When I was graduating they were moving to drug test anyone who drove to school. Not sure where it stands now. I think I was drug tested once in the 4 years I was at school. It was suppose to be random but they randomly picked kids that were most likely drug users.

Actually it's the out of touch administrators who need education and school board members, who are rarely educators at all, who need education.
True. Most teachers actually have a clue.

That attitude is just about the worst you could possibly have for civil liberties in this country.

I'm a goodie two shoes. I've literally never done any illegal drugs in my life. Not even once. But all be damned if I am going to submit to a drug test 'just because' even though I'd pass with flying colors.

I was going to like this post until the last paragraph. I agree with you on the shit attitude to have about FREEDOM.

FREEDOM to do what I want as long as you cannot prove it. I have the right to not incriminate myself. No post facto testing.

Life does not have a rewind button.

That is how it was at Warsaw, athletes got drug tested. When I was graduating they were moving to drug test anyone who drove to school. Not sure where it stands now. I think I was drug tested once in the 4 years I was at school. It was suppose to be random but they randomly picked kids that were most likely drug users.
At the school where I was it was "random". Student ID numbers were used rather than names for the selection. The testing company selected the numbers. School personnel had no part in the selection process. The school was just given results.
I don't recall even one positive test result.

Our educators need education.

That's the GD truth.

Actually it's the out of touch administrators who need education and school board members, who are rarely educators at all, who need education.

True. Most teachers actually have a clue.

I'm glad to see that you amended your original statement T.M.P. I can almost guarantee that a program like this came from administration and not at the behest of the actual educators in the classroom. As it is, educators do continue to receive education on a yearly basis in just about every state. It's part of our certification process. That being said, like any other workforce we have some educators who are really sharp, and we have some that make the rest of us look really bad.

Reactions: IU40IU

It was supposed to be random at Plymouth too, but I somehow was picked 2 or 3 times my senior year alone and I was about as squeaky clean in high school as they come. Of course the athlete who shared my first and last name may not have exactly been the cleanest, and I always thought that perhaps I got to take one or two of his tests by "accident"

[QUOTE="

I'm a goodie two shoes. I've literally never done any illegal drugs in my life. Not even once. But all be damned if I am going to submit to a drug test 'just because' even though I'd pass with flying colors.[/QUOTE]

It's not "just because" though. It's part of the ability to participate in extra-curriculars. Don't want to be tested? Don't participate in extra-curriculars. Personally I don't agree with it because I think it is a waste of money that could be spent more wisely elsewhere. Also if you want kids to stay away from substances that could harm them, give them something else to focus their energy on, you know, like an extra-curricular activity, rather than taking it away from them which could cause them to focus on the harmful substance even more.

I said not that big of a deal because I knew as a student that it wasn't going to be that big of a deal for me and it also got me out of class for a good while because miraculously I had just gone to the bathroom right before being called down for the test, and I needed some water and some time to produce enough urine for a sample.

I do find it interesting that a school district is jumping on this bandwagon now as it was something that was more popular in the late 90s, early 00s. It seems the trend now is to move away from these programs because they don't catch many "offenders", they take away valuable financial resources, and the return on the investment is negligible at best.

I'm glad to see that you amended your original statement T.M.P. I can almost guarantee that a program like this came from administration and not at the behest of the actual educators in the classroom. As it is, educators do continue to receive education on a yearly basis in just about every state. It's part of our certification process. That being said, like any other workforce we have some educators who are really sharp, and we have some that make the rest of us look really bad.

When I said educators, I was referring to administration. Just needed to clarify that.I know many teachers, none are this stupid or out of touch. I had a few that were when I was in school, but they're most likely dead.

When I said educators, I was referring to administration. Just needed to clarify that.I know many teachers, none are this stupid or out of touch. I had a few that were when I was in school, but they're most likely dead.

Oh I'd love to say that there aren't stupid or out of touch teachers out there. No really, I'd love to...

At the school where I was it was "random". Student ID numbers were used rather than names for the selection. The testing company selected the numbers. School personnel had no part in the selection process. The school was just given results.
I don't recall even one positive test result.

They said something similar at Warsaw but I had a buddy who was a pot head dude got test 3 times in a month. Of course he was smart enough to "pass" them. After he got through school they changed how they handled people taking pee test.

Oh I'd love to say that there aren't stupid or out of touch teachers out there. No really, I'd love to...

As with everything else, there's always exceptions. Of course there are.

But of the ones I've gotten to know or have known. All good people.

Reactions: IU_Cramer
It was supposed to be random at Plymouth too, but I somehow was picked 2 or 3 times my senior year alone and I was about as squeaky clean in high school as they come. Of course the athlete who shared my first and last name may not have exactly been the cleanest, and I always thought that perhaps I got to take one or two of his tests by "accident"

I just Googled your name and much to my surprise there are no professional athletes out that that share the same name from the same school. I'm shocked.

So they were protecting him for a future that didn't pan out.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT