ADVERTISEMENT

Early thoughts for the 2016 season

Ghostridah

Senior
Sep 30, 2006
Not being any sort of insider, I just look at personnel and see things.... Like some people see things in the bottom of beer glass or glass of scotch.

Last summer I predicted that IU would play a lot of multiple TE formations and run the ball more.
I was accused of being the reincarnation of Woody and Bo. Oh well... Got that one right. But who's counting? ;-)

Stepping WAAAAAAAAY out on a ledge for 2016... I wouldn't be surprised to see prized our prized reserve left tackle and converted TE Brandon Knight spend at least one more year blocking at TE before growing into a full time tackle. I say this because Knight was much like Jason Spriggs as a freshman. SMALL for the position in terms of bulk. IU is recruiting Paul Ramirez and still have Demetric Camiel for another year.
IU has a lot of interior OL players and some tackles in reserve, but they don't have a LOT of tackles. Certainly not that have minutes. IU is hopefully beyond the point where they have to play freshmen in the OL. There's also the thought that I'm talking out of my hat. It wouldn't be the first time.

I hope someone emerges at TE who can stretch the middle of the field. Someone who can challenge the safeties in traditional "Tampa 2" defenses. If he was older, Austin Dorris may have that type of quickness. But redshirt freshman rarely can be a big contributor. Danny Friend is a fine blocker. There is hope for Jordan Fuchs. But it hasn't happened yet.

Second "W.A.G." prediction (Wild @$$ Gue$$) would be that in an effort to get more quickness in the DL, one of the following players moves to DL. Not Bandit, but DL. (Greg Gooch, Nile Sykes, Brandon Wilson)
Some of this reflects a natural growth by Wilson and the fact I am not sure Sykes and Gooch are flexible enough as LB's. I could be (and often am) wrong, but I think one of them moves for passing situations minimally.

IU needs a pass rush from somewhere. At present, i don't know where it's coming from.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News