ADVERTISEMENT

Dunnam returning

I wasn't pleased with Dunnam's effort a couple games. Was surprised then to find out he was rated highly.
By 'effort' I don't mean lazy. Just seemed to feel as long as someone else was making the tackle or covering he could just be nearby. Then when the coverage broke down or the tackle wasnt made, he'd try to recover but too late. To me that's lazy ball. But it may have just been lack of experience, bad coaching.

Part of a horrific defensive backfield in 2023.
Maybe the worst secondary we’ve had in the 20 seasons.
I’m not sure if some fans have shorts memories, but let’s not forget what the defense looked like before Allen arrived. As bad as it was by Allen era standards our defense was rarely as bad as it was before he got here. Have we forgotten the 83 points Wisconsin put on us during the Lynch era scoring at will with their 3rd string players. I believe many here still hate Bielma over that game. As frustrating as it was watching some of those games I pray we never slide back to the defense we fielded during those years or even most of Wilson’s years. Our defense did significantly regress after McFadden left and that’s unfortunate, but i recall some very very bad defense from those prior years.

As frustrating as it was watching some of those games I pray we never slide back to the defense we fielded during those years or even most of Wilson’s years. Our defense did significantly regress after McFadden left and that’s unfortunate, but i recall some very very bad defense from those prior years.

Let's face it, we've seen a whole lot of bad football over the years, defense, offense, you name it. On those rare occasions when we get it together on both sides we're able to field a decent team, but those occasions are few and far between.

I wasn't pleased with Dunnam's effort a couple games. Was surprised then to find out he was rated highly.
By 'effort' I don't mean lazy. Just seemed to feel as long as someone else was making the tackle or covering he could just be nearby. Then when the coverage broke down or the tackle wasnt made, he'd try to recover but too late. To me that's lazy ball. But it may have just been lack of experience, bad coaching.
It was poor coaching emphasizing take aways too much and improper technique in tackling.

I absolutely despise seeing 3 or 4 guys pulling at the ball while the ball carrier is still moving down the field for an additional 5-10 yards. That's an incredibly bad defensive philosophy.
Yes punch at the ball as you make the tackle or the 1st man gets the tackle as the second man goes for the ball. Our secondary tackling technique was crap all season long.

I hope Dunnam finds a home to continue his career. With that said, his entry into the portal was an ill-advised move. You are what your film says you are, and Dunnam was not very good - especially in the second half of the season. He contributed greatly to our regression as a defense as the season progressed. Therefore, it is easy to see why no one took a flyer on him, and that the current staff isn't excited to take him back.

In the portal / NIL era where all the chips seemed to be stacked in favor of the players, this situation is an exception to the new rule. Dunnam, and others like him, will unfortunately have to pay a hefty price for thinking that the grass is greener (or that their pockets can get greener) by going the portal route.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT