ADVERTISEMENT

Dump the Block I helmet, looks like Illini

I’d be up for a complete re-design of the uniforms into something unique and immediately recognizable (like Texas, Michigan, UCLA, Alabama, etc).

(Note to Athletic Dept: it’s called “branding”)

you mean put something like this on the helmets?

gf0ea3.jpg

now there's a novel idea.

you should run it by the guys on 17th st.

IU is the Logo, use it only

don't look for the block I to come back as IU's main helmet logo.

has nothing to do with Illinois, but because IU doesn't want the block I identified as an IU logo.

too hard to trademark. (or is it copyright).

iirc IU spent a small fortune in the design of the current IU interlock so that it was trademarkable.

same reason as when you see just "INDIANA" on gear rather than "INDIANA UNIVERSITY" on gear, it's always in script rather than print, as the script of "INDIANA" is unique enough to trademark.. the print not so much.

God forbid someone buys a tee shirt or sweatshirt that isn't twice the cost it otherwise would be, so IU can extract it's cut from the sale.

shaking_figure_for_money_anim_md_wm.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Least of our problems. Looks fine. I'm good with the IU logo too but like I said "least of our problems...
Here you go:

Wear two different helmets: white when the field temperature exceeds 70 degrees, Crimson when it's below that... Use the IU and stick with it... (I like the Block I but IU is more unique to INDIANA).

Lose "Hoosiers" on the jersey and go with clean oversized front numbers, stick a small IU at the throat and go with oversized numbers on the top of the shoulder pads with tri accent stripes circling the base of the sleeves... pants white with Crimson accent stripes all the time. Crimson socks...

Have the announcers refer to us as Hoosiers we don't need to clutter the jersey with it...

Take the "Keep It Simple Stupid" approach and keep things clean, sharp, and simple...

My contribution pro bono... You're welcome Scott...

Last edited:
I’d be up for a complete re-design of the uniforms into something unique and immediately recognizable (like Texas, Michigan, UCLA, Alabama, etc).

(Note to Athletic Dept: it’s called “branding”)
IU logo is the branding
Block I means lots of years of losing and the Illini are losing too and use a block I
Is it an I or an L

IU logo is the branding
Block I means lots of years of losing and the Illini are losing too and use a block I
Is it an I or an L
The pitchfork logo is PART of the branding just like in basketball but just as the candy stripe warmups are also part of the BB branding (good or bad, depending on one’s opinion) , more could be done IMO with the rest of the FB uniforms to make IU’s overall brand more unique and recognizable,

The longhorn on Texas’ helmets is part of their FB brand, but so is the rest of their uniforms. Same with UCLA and the script on their helmets—the rest of their uni’s are distinctive too. Ditto for Michigan, Bama, and others.

I’ve always loved the IU logo and think it should be on every uniform in every IU sport, but IMHO the rest of the football uni’s are pretty generic and from some angles (on tv, anyway) indistinguishable from numerous other schools with similar colors.

The pitchfork logo is PART of the branding just like in basketball but just as the candy stripe warmups are also part of the BB branding (good or bad, depending on one’s opinion) , more could be done IMO with the rest of the FB uniforms to make IU’s overall brand more unique and recognizable,
THAT"S IT!! Candy stripe football uniforms.
Branding, JFC, how about winning.
Other schools' unis are memorable because they win.
Winning 8-9 on a regular basis, with an occasional 10-11 season and you don't have to worry about
what is on the helmets.
Yeah, I know, but I can dream can't I.

THAT"S IT!! Candy stripe football uniforms.
Branding, JFC, how about winning.
Other schools' unis are memorable because they win.
Winning 8-9 on a regular basis, with an occasional 10-11 season and you don't have to worry about
what is on the helmets.
Yeah, I know, but I can dream can't I.
I suppose we could go with totally flesh-colored uniforms. Probably help with ratings, if nothing else.

• Haha
Reactions: vesuvius13
I say IU should go totally generic with uni's and wear only the IU logo on the helmet and numbers on the jerseys . . . absolutely nothing else UNTIL they win a conference game. With each conference win the team has earned the right to add another piece to the jersey; conference logo, Indiana, LEO (getting stale now), or whatever. Each year start over with generic unis until the team earns some conference wins; sort of like the sticker on the helmet for other (winning) programs except IU doesn't earn it for one good play, they must earn it for conference victories.

Always can tell that a football season has gone to $hit when morons start whining about the uniforms again.
There is a lot of truth to that. And let's not forget Fred Glass and his effort to instill a Hoosier culture by taking the names off of the uniforms so they could be winners like the basketball program.

If they do something like that again I think it will be that they take the players names off the back of the jerseys until they earn the right to put the names back on.

1. Adopt a mascot. The Fightin’ Hoosier Bison.
2. Use the pitchfork. Sigh.
3. EVERY athlete wears long-legged candy-striped warmups.
4. Hire a Vegas or Hollywood or TV show director to run game day. Nobody moves or makes an unscripted noise without permission.
5. Make the grass lots legendary - level them out, have measured and numbered tailgate areas, put in stages and have bands.

Reactions: 76-1 and ESalum86

The longhorn on Texas’ helmets is part of their FB brand, but so is the rest of their uniforms. Same with UCLA and the script on their helmets—the rest of their uni’s are distinctive too. Ditto for Michigan, Bama, and others.

I’ve always loved the IU logo and think it should be on every uniform in every IU sport, but IMHO the rest of the football uni’s are pretty generic and from some angles (on tv, anyway) indistinguishable from numerous other schools with similar colors.
Well..., if you want an entirely new (and relatively unique to FBS Football) uniform I'd say go with the NFL 49'ers uni, minus their helmet logo; we'd use the trident IU but keep their helmet stripes... Problem there is it doesn't match up with any of the other sports color schemes...

I'm partial to the old St Louis Cardinals (w/Hart @QB) look myself but to each their own...

1. Adopt a mascot. The Fightin’ Hoosier Bison.
2. Use the pitchfork. Sigh.
3. EVERY athlete wears long-legged candy-striped warmups.
4. Hire a Vegas or Hollywood or TV show director to run game day. Nobody moves or makes an unscripted noise without permission.
5. Make the grass lots legendary - level them out, have measured and numbered tailgate areas, put in stages and have bands.
I'm with you aside from the Candy Strips. My take is that candy stripes have no place on a Football field, in the stands maybe but not on the field...

All the rest are great ideas (in my highly esteemed opinion [highly esteemed by me😉]).

I'm with you aside from the Candy Strips. My take is that candy stripes have no place on a Football field, in the stands maybe but not on the field...

All the rest are great ideas (in my highly esteemed opinion [highly esteemed by me😉]).
I want em on pants. Don’t care if they are in the end zone, but wouldn’t object.

Mostly, I think we need “Biblical level” change. All past burned down.

All players - gone.
All coaches - gone.
All managers - gone.
All medical - gone.
All tv/radio - gone.
New stadium.
New logo.
A mascot.

Even Moses only had to wander for 40 years.

Reactions: 82IU
I want em on pants. Don’t care if they are in the end zone, but wouldn’t object.

Mostly, I think we need “Biblical level” change. All past burned down.

All players - gone.
All coaches - gone.
All managers - gone.
All medical - gone.
All tv/radio - gone.
New stadium.
New logo.
A mascot.

Even Moses only had to wander for 40 years.
At Candy Stripes mixed with Football we part ways...

You're close but I guess nobody's perfect 😉😎.

IU is the Logo, use it only
I agree, but I like the old-fashioned IU with the deep U, which can be seen on some of the buildings in the older parts of campus. As for the block I, that is what they wore in the Rose Bowl season, so it does have some credibility there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT