ADVERTISEMENT

Duke De-Commit mean Quinones to IU?

Not really, it's a local legend and famous NBA player getting local kids many of whom he's already coached and can offer almost as famous NBA talent for assistants
Hiring former famous NBA players does not automatically make a good coaching staff. Or we would see many former NBA players as coaches on college basketball. Its a culture thing, people want to rub shoulders with famous people. It makes them "feel" connected. In reality they are likely less likely prepared to coach at the D1 college level. Fame does not automatically make someone a good coach.

Why would anyone go to Purdue?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Painter

Well - theyve been pretty successful in the B10, only finishing outside the top 4, 4 times in Painter’s 14 seasons. Made 5 real NCAA tourney’s in a row - with 2 Sw16 and an E8 in the same 3 years span IU has missed the tourney...

Painter missed the tourney 3 times in 14 years...

I dislike Purdue greatly...but Painter has earned some respect...

Well - theyve been pretty successful in the B10, only finishing outside the top 4, 4 times in Painter’s 14 seasons. Made 5 real NCAA tourney’s in a row - with 2 Sw16 and an E8 in the same 3 years span IU has missed the tourney...

Respect for mediocrity?
Purdue under Painter is always good but never great.
Modiocre Matt
Win a NCAA Tournament before respect is given.
Most programs deserve no respect, because they have never earned it.

Reactions: Courtsensethree
Remember when you told us we were going to win the Big Ten last year? Then you guaranteed Brooks to IU. Give it a rest bud.

Remember when you told us Donovan to IU and then tried to delete those posts to look slightly less like a douche bag only to get caught doing so and raising your douchness to new and epic heights...?

Yes, give it a rest.

Last edited:
Since Boogie Ellis (a 5 star, 2 guard) got the 'OK' from Duke to be released from his Duke signing...... and most analysts think he wants to go to Memphis.......does this mean IU's biggest opponent in the Quinones battle will be no longer? Seems to favor us in that regard.
A freshman will have to beat out Green and Durham and be a better option than Franklin to play at IU. We assume Quinones would play, but there are no assurances (CuJo) he would be the featured 2.

Penny might be a cool dude. Miller also brings the NBA experience. If life at Memphis looks like a good time, that is likely where he will go. If it doesn't work out, he can transfer. Is Penny a good coach at the college level? I'm not sure it matters to those that think they have an NBA future regardless of how their team does.

A freshman will have to beat out Green and Durham and be a better option than Franklin to play at IU. We assume Quinones would play, but there are no assurances (CuJo) he would be the featured 2.

Penny might be a cool dude. Miller also brings the NBA experience. If life at Memphis looks like a good time, that is likely where he will go. If it doesn't work out, he can transfer. Is Penny a good coach at the college level? I'm not sure it matters to those that think they have an NBA future regardless of how their team does.
Quinones would start immediately at IU if he can consistently shoot the 3.

what shooting % would you consider consistent?

well, 33% equates to 50% on 2 pt FGs, so I'd say anything above that is "good" or someone who should be taking good open looks. Anything approaching 40% or above is a great shooter who should be hunting 3s, imo.

Interestingly I just checked Wofford because they were the best shooting team I recalled from this year. They had 4 guys above 40%. Career NCAA 3 pt leader Fletcher Magee was at 42%, and if you saw him, he too alot of really tough 3 pt shots. They were a fun team to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmygoiu

In Painter's defense. Purdue itself is the reason that Matt Painter can not consistently recruit higher ranked players. So in that regard i give Painter props, he has done well while coaching at Purdue.

Remember when you told us Donovan to IU and then tried to delete those posts to look slightly less like a douche bag only to get caught doing so and raising your douchness to new and epic heights...?

Yes, give it a rest.
Okay that is seriously funny. Douchness is my new favorite word.

Reactions: mathboy
University of San Francisco has three. Does that mean anything to you? You can brag about those dusty banners all you want. It is not relevant to the players today.[/QUOT

Actually, USF only has two. The 3rd championship was for an NIT.

And yes, it means something. It means that at one point in its history, post-1940, USF had a coach and players great enough to win 2 NCs. Purdue can not make the same claim.

University of San Francisco has three. Does that mean anything to you? You can brag about those dusty banners all you want. It is not relevant to the players today.
It is very relevant from now until the end of time.
San Francisco had Bill Russell.a Hall of Famer.
San Fran is legit.
I give San Fran more props than Purdue.

It is very relevant from now until the end of time.
San Francisco had Bill Russell.a Hall of Famer.
San Fran is legit.
I give San Fran more props than Purdue.
And no HS kids today care about who won what 20 years before they were born.
Spoken like a true Purdue fan.
To explain why we should respect good but not greatness.
Do we play all season to be ok, or do we play all season to win National Championships?
There is only One Goal.
Purdue's goal must be to beat IU and be ok.
Congrats you achieved your low expectations goal.

Spoken like a true Purdue fan.
To explain why we should respect good but not greatness.
Do we play all season to be ok, or do we play all season to win National Championships?
There is only One Goal.
Purdue's goal must be to beat IU and be ok.
Congrats you achieved your low expectations goal.
Well we haven’t achieved a goal in over 30 years then.

All I’m saying is a HS kid today isn’t going to base the biggest decision of their life on who won a title in the 1980s, let alone the 1940s. That’s absurd.

That’s like being offered the same job at Kodak cameras or Amazon and you thinking the better long term opportunity is at Kodak.

All I’m saying is a HS kid today isn’t going to base the biggest decision of their life on who won a title in the 1980s, let alone the 1940s. That’s absurd.

That’s like being offered the same job at Kodak cameras or Amazon and you thinking the better long term opportunity is at Kodak.

So, how do you explain the fact that the last two 5 star Indiana Mr. Basketball winners chose IU?

You can't say tradition, because you have crapped all over that, and you can't say coaching, for the same reason.

So, why?

Reactions: jimmygoiu

That's like comparing the Declaration of Independence to a tweet. Yes, tradition matters. Yes, a history of having won matters. Why go to a school that has achieved nothing in its history? To a school that has achieved the pinnacle of success multiple times in a state that adores basketball players like folk heroes for the rest of their human life. That is why history and tradition matters, in a state whose history and culture is synonomous with basketball. Basketball is woven into the fabric of Hoosier culture in this state. And it will never change.

Last edited:
So, how do you explain the fact that the last two 5 star Indiana Mr. Basketball winners chose IU?

You can't say tradition, because you have crapped all over that, and you can't say coaching, for the same reason.

So, why?
I can assure you it was not because our banners from 30-80 years ago.

IU was the closest Adidas school for Romeo.

And TJD is a 4 star who committed early.

I’m not saying IU has nothing to offer. We do. But it’s not the dusty banners that kids care about.

That's like comparing Declaration of Independence to a tweet. Yes, tradition matters. Yes, a history of having won matters. Why go to a school that has achieved nothing in its history? To a school that has achieved the pinnacle of success multiple times in a state that adores basketball players like folk heroes for the rest of their himan life. That is why history and tradition matters, in a state whose history and culture is synonomous with basketball. Basketball is woven into the fabric of Hoosier culture in this state. And it will never change.
We’ve been telling kids this for 30 years and we haven’t won squat. Yet you want kids to keep buying it?

I agree we have the advantage of a great fan base and a nearly full stadium every game. That’s probably our biggest strength. But the titles themself from before there was even a 3 point line isn’t appealing to these kids. It’s just not. I’m sorry if that hurts your feelings.

We need to bring more to the table than just tradition.

Reactions: cryano
We’ve been telling kids this for 30 years and we haven’t won squat. Yet you want kids to keep buying it?

I agree we have the advantage of a great fan base and a nearly full stadium every game. That’s probably our biggest strength. But the titles themself from before there was even a 3 point line isn’t appealing to these kids. It’s just not. I’m sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Winning - success breeds success
Recruiting
A stable coaching staff
An AD that supports IU Basketball and it's facility and recruiting needs
An IU President that supports Basketball and the Athletic Department

Winning - success breeds success
Recruiting
A stable coaching staff
An AD that supports IU Basketball and it's facility and recruiting needs
An IU President that supports Basketball and the Athletic Department
Ouch!
I thought you were Pro current regime...
my Con’s list would mirror your list...

Ouch!
I thought you were Pro current regime...
my Con’s list would mirror your list...
2 years is not long eniugh into Archie's tenure at IU to say that he can not be successful, I believe that he can.
Having a long term successful coach has always been one of the keys to the success of a blueblood program. The tradition of success and winning national championships is always the foundation to build on.

2 years is not long eniugh into Archie's tenure at IU to say that he can not be successful, I believe that he can.
Having a long term successful coach has always been one of the keys to the success of a blueblood program. The tradition of success and winning national championships is always the foundation to build on.
We are going to know alot after this season. Making the tourny needs to be the goal period.

Reactions: cryano
Quinones broke down the major factors in his upcoming decision:

“My main goal is just to get to the NBA right now,” Quinones told Inside the Hall. “Whatever school gives me the best opportunity to reach my goals and aspirations of becoming a pro and has the most tools.
I need a head coach that, even when I’m not hitting shots, he’s not just going to go to the next guy on the bench. Someone that is going to have faith in me. The relationship with the coach is important and someone that is going to help me get to the next level.”

“My main goal is just to get to the NBA right now,” Quinones told Inside the Hall. “Whatever school gives me the best opportunity to reach my goals and aspirations of becoming a pro and has the most tools.
I need a head coach that, even when I’m not hitting shots, he’s not just going to go to the next guy on the bench. Someone that is going to have faith in me. The relationship with the coach is important and someone that is going to help me get to the next level.”
After reading that I really wouldn’t want the kid. Lots of me’s, I’s and ego. It’s like IU is recruiting feepaw...ugh, gross.

Assuming the quote of his statement is 100% accurate, we shouldn't want that guy. He's all about his own personal gain. Any one heard him mention team, university, community, loyalty, character, hard work, toughness, growth as a person?

There is the problem! “We” won’t land a single recruit if “you” are recruiting them. I hope cryano, victimbear and marypimpedout can shoot because they are the only ones that believe half the crap you pitch. “We” are doomed!

Unfair to bring up money as a factor with zero proof. Penny and Mike Miller have reps of being good guys. I’m sure recruits are attracted by the fact that Memphis has a staff of ex NBA pros, including Penny himself. Nothing wrong with that. It certainly would not be surprising if Lester chose Memphis over IU.
Yeah, Memphis has always been squeaky clean.

I really hope there’s a plan in place. We’re missing out on recruits every day. Fellas we got to get some points. We’ve got to bring in some shooters and if one of them is Lester I’m OK with that. I haven’t read anything that said that he was selfish, but I have read that he’s one the best pure shooters in his class. The kids got goals no different than anybody else. If he is selfish I’m sure the coach can help him with that.

Blah, blah blah.
Oh, and anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that you call them basketball "arenas", not "stadiums"...dumbass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT