ADVERTISEMENT

Duke De-Commit mean Quinones to IU?

YOTHN

All-American
Jun 20, 2014
Since Boogie Ellis (a 5 star, 2 guard) got the 'OK' from Duke to be released from his Duke signing...... and most analysts think he wants to go to Memphis.......does this mean IU's biggest opponent in the Quinones battle will be no longer? Seems to favor us in that regard.

Since Boogie Ellis (a 5 star, 2 guard) got the 'OK' from Duke to be released from his Duke signing...... and most analysts think he wants to go to Memphis.......does this mean IU's biggest opponent in the Quinones battle will be no longer? Seems to favor us in that regard.
No necessarily . Hardaway told him he is the missing piece. Honestly, I would not get my hopes up. There is likely money involved on the Memphis end.

No necessarily . Hardaway told him he is the missing piece. Honestly, I would not get my hopes up. There is likely money involved on the Memphis end.
Unfair to bring up money as a factor with zero proof. Penny and Mike Miller have reps of being good guys. I’m sure recruits are attracted by the fact that Memphis has a staff of ex NBA pros, including Penny himself. Nothing wrong with that. It certainly would not be surprising if Lester chose Memphis over IU.

Reactions: fpeaugh

Ha Yeah, he is the missing piece, until a 5 star player at his position up and decides to de-commit and go to Memphis. That can quickly turn into a, "well, we couldn't wait any longer on your commitment" type situation. Even so, from Quinones position (money and still avail schollie withstanding) it may not be as appealing to go to Memphis and sit behind someone. I am not saying its a lock by any means but this definitely has to help our odds. The real question is, where were those odds before and how much better did they get. If they weren't good then minimal improvement means just that.

What does that have to do with anything?
Why go to Memphis who has never won a National Tiltle? I played a year somewhere in Tennessee. With no history of chanpionships in a state that worships football, in one of the top 3 most dangerous cities in the U.S. No Thanks.

Memphis has how many National Titles?

Well, since 1982 they have:
21 Tourney Appearances
10 Sweet 16's
5 Elite 8's
3 Final 4's
1 Title game Appearances
0 Championships

Why does this matter though again? Players go to a place they think gives them the best chance to get to the next level. The winning and a title is great and all but not the driving force of most commits. Players think most Duke and UK players get drafted.

Well, since 1982 they have:
21 Tourney Appearances
10 Sweet 16's
5 Elite 8's
3 Final 4's
1 Title game Appearances
0 Championships

Why does this matter though again? Players go to a place they think gives them the best chance to get to the next level. The winning and a title is great and all but not the driving force of most commits. Players think most Duke and UK players get drafted.

1 Title Game Appearance - vacated
A history of corruption in a rough River City known for violence, murder, and drugs.

1 Title Game Appearance - vacated
A history of corruption in a rough River City known for violence, murder, and drugs.

And what is thought to be a great opportunity to play with good young talent and get to the NBA. I don't think kids are too worried about the safety of their dorms on the Memphis campus.

And what is thought to be a great opportunity to play with good young talent and get to the NBA. I don't think kids are too worried about the safety of their dorms on the Memphis campus.
They don't stay locked in their dorms.
As a city Memphis sucks.

Why go to Memphis who has never won a National Tiltle? I played a year somewhere in Tennessee. With no history of chanpionships in a state that worships football, in one of the top 3 most dangerous cities in the U.S. No Thanks.
Why go to IU who hasn’t made the tournament the last 3 years and is run by clowns?

Reactions: fall city
Why go to IU who hasn’t made the tournament the last 3 years and is run by clowns?
To be a hero on a Basketball campus in a Basketball state, and not shot in the underbelly of a dangerous city.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosier48
They’ve had much more success the last 30 years. And are positioned much better for the future. Recruits don’t care about our dusty banners.
Since 2000 IU National Runner up with Mike Davis, Tom Coverdale, Dane Fife, Jared Jeffries equals Memphis best ever vacated finish.

Why do you even post on this board? It must be exhausting to be so negative all the time.

Penny and mike miller can relate to the younger guys because they both played in the nba. He gets a pass for this yr, but if he sucks with the talent coming in penny won’t last long. Ask josh pastner. He could recruit just as good and well we know how that ended. I think Ellis will go to Memphis and Memphis will also try and get Hampton. You will end up with your guy because Archie has proven he can coach. Penny has proven he can talk, and show players how to flop like dukies. Look no further than their matchup with Tennessee this yr

They don't stay locked in their dorms.
As a city Memphis sucks.

Personally I enjoy Memphis. Beale St is a lot of fun and there is great blues throughout the city. The Civil Rights Museum was an informative visit. And they have great BBQ and chicken places all over. I’m sure there are bad parts of town but those can be avoided

To be a hero on a Basketball campus in a Basketball state, and not shot in the underbelly of a dangerous city.

you really had a bad experience in memphis, huh? lol

i think it's a great town. like most rust belt cities, its crime occurs in -- or is funneled into -- certain crappy neighborhoods...

Last edited:
Reactions: reabhnt
you really had a bad experience in memphis, huh? lol

i think it's a great town. like most rust belt cities, it's crime occurs -- or is funneled into -- certain crappy neighborhoods...
I had a gun pulled on me getting gas in Memphis. I love the Blues and BBQ.
But, no thanks!

Reactions: namnik

your fandom is so awesome you actually root for other schools to beat us in recruiting? based on just two years of archie? WTF lol.

naaaaah -- this about Glass for you...

well it's more about your low self-esteem if we get right down to it...hence the douche bravado?

Memphis 2019 commitments- James Wiseman C #3, DJ Jeffries F #45, Damion Baugh PG #83, Malcolm Dandridge C #106.

That’s a lot of talent, but there’s only one ball to go around.

The Tigers have three current scholarships open for next season.

Potentially...
Precious Achiuwa PF #16
Trendon Watford PF #19

RJ Hampton PG #17
Boogie Ellis PG #42
Lester Quinones SG #44
Rayjon Tucker SG graduate transfer

Memphis had 5 guards from the 2018 class with one transfer. It looks like they’re heavy in guards.

Memphis 2019 commitments- James Wiseman C #3, DJ Jeffries F #45, Damion Baugh PG #83, Malcolm Dandridge C #106.

Potentially...
Precious Achiuwa PF #16
Trendon Watford PF #19

RJ Hampton PG #17
Boogie Ellis PG #42
Lester Quinones SG #44

Memphis had 5 guards from the 2018 class with one transfer. It looks like they’re heavy in guards.
Memphis would be a bad choice for playing time if you were a guard.

Reactions: IULouie

Potentially...
Precious Achiuwa PF #16
Trendon Watford PF #19

RJ Hampton PG #17
Boogie Ellis PG #42
Lester Quinones SG #44

A nine man recruiting class!!!

You have been posting some crazy thoughts today. However, I lol'd at this one.
Nope when i drive to Texas on I-40, i make sure i have enough gas to make it through Memphis area before getting gas. I had that happen to me years ago when I lived in Texas and driving home for Christmas with a co-worker of mine and IU grad who was also going home for the Holidays.

Last edited:
Nope when i drive to Texas on I-40, i make sure i have enough gas to make it through Memphis area before getting gas. I had that happen to me years ago when I lived in Texas and driving home for Christmas with a co-worker of mine and IU grad who was also going home for the Holidays.

I always went North on I-55 just before crossing the River into Memphis. Crossed the River on I-155 then traversed up through Tn. and Ky.

Ellis is a point man he has more options than two guard Quinones.
He will probably end up at USC or Oregon.

I had a gun pulled on me getting gas in Memphis. I love the Blues and BBQ.
But, no thanks!
I had a gun pulled on me inches away from my forehead outside of Yogi's in Bloomington. One bad experience doesn't translate to the whole place.

I had a gun pulled on me inches away from my forehead outside of Yogi's in Bloomington. One bad experience doesn't translate to the whole place.
Only time for me.
It was 2 am, driving 1000 miles home after work, in my low 20s.

Man... you really run that national championship thing pretty hard. You realize not one of these kids gives a flying poop about a team winning a national championship 32 years ago... they could care less if a team won it 7 years ago.
I used to watch them when they had Keith Lee and Baskerville Holmes. They were fun to see. Unfortunately Holmes is no long with us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT