ADVERTISEMENT

Dickinson to Kansas

It was reported on Purdue Hammer and Rails that Edey made just slightly below $1 Mill last year Nil, how much did TJD make?

Hogwash.

Edey was a 25k NIL guy all last off season and to begin the season most likely.

Once it was determined he was able to hold his own and play more than 20 mpg and Purdue had that preseason tourney success, his NIL assuredly jumped.

But you are talking early to mid Dec before deals rolled in and were finalized. By mid March and the Fairly comical Tourney exit, no new deals were coming in as his draft/portal status were unknown.

No way Edeys NIL arc from Dec through Feb went from 25k to a million $ based in West Laffy at Purdue in that span.

Sane people would agree he likely was able to get 200-300k in that span max.

His payday will be if he returns and the NIL affiliates get nearer 12 months from his services/image.

Reactions: bawlmer
Hogwash.

Once it was determined he was able to hold his own and play more than 20 mpg and Purdue had that preseason tourney success, his NIL assuredly jumped.

But you are talking early to mid Dec before deals rolled in and were finalized. By mid March and the Fairly comical Tourney exit, no new deals were coming in as his draft/portal status were unknown.

No way Edeys NIL arc from Dec through Feb went from 25k to a million $ based in West Laffy at Purdue in that span.

His payday will be if he returns and the NIL affiliates get nearer 12 months from his services/image.
He might get that much somewhere.

Reactions: DANC
And Love shot 36% from the field over three years. At least Gunn was a freshman and will probably get better, and his defense is already better. Not saying I'd want either one starting, but at this point at least we have the hope that Gunn can improve while Love is what he has been for years.
I am all in on love. Love or bust.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Hogwash.

Sorry, but that is what was reported! I know it doesn't meet the IU spin or narrative!

Reactions: Bill4411
Sorry, but that is what was reported! I know it doesn't meet the IU spin or narrative!
Narrative?

You do realize that it’s not a badge of honor for a player (or program) to make more NIL?

As an IU fan- The less he makes the more I respect him (and PU). The more the boosters pay (in the pay for play scheme), the dirtier you are.

Reactions: Bill4411
Reactions: Dbaggery
I haven't really followed them all that closely. I kind of assumed they'd be losing Wilson and Dick to the NBA...is that the case? McCullar using his Covid year? Harris coming back? I'm sure they have good players coming in other than Dickinson. And Kansas is just always good.

But to already just concede a 15 point beat down, in what will be one of those "students camp out" type electric games in the Hall...ehhh, kinda doubt it.

I'd actually bet we win that game. And that's without knowing their roster well at all, and not knowing how ours will shake out.
He never takes off his shit-colored glasses so the future always looks like crap! ;)

Again, come up with something better if you don't like On3.
On3 uses a.i. to generate the numbers not facts. It’s click bait. Nobody really knows true numbers. Some get publicized like the one Miami deal for pack but others don’t. On3 is a bad example. So there is no other examples. It’s all private money so they don’t have to report it. Notice they all say “valuation”. These are very tough estimates not backed up by anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
On3 uses a.i. to generate the numbers not facts. It’s click bait. Nobody really knows true numbers. Some get publicized like the one Miami deal for pack but others don’t. On3 is a bad example. So there is no other examples. It’s all private money so they don’t have to report it.
Courtsense insists that Purdue could not pay Edey top dollar, and you are more or less are saying that we could not possibly know that to be true for which I totally agree. Simply stated: If Courtsense has clear evidence that Purdue can't pay Edey market value then I'd like to see what he bases this opinion upon.

It's not precisely the same thing but Purdue and IU have very similar endowments.

Courtsense insists that Purdue could not pay Edey top dollar, and you are more or less are saying that we could not possibly know that to be true for which I totally agree. Simply stated: If Courtsense has clear evidence that Purdue can't pay Edey market value then I'd like to see what he bases this opinion upon.

It's not precisely the same thing but Purdue and IU have very similar endowments.

That’s a really bad example. IU paid more players and really did pay more than Purdue and it’s not disputed by Purdue. We just don’t know the numbers. The Hoosiers for good did publish numbers but it was what they paid out in total. We know TJD got the most followed by race. It was in the six figures for both just off that one endorsement. We do know IU donors and alums are on the NIL wagon(Purdue is trailing) That’s about all we know. I don’t take any stock in any published NIL value from sites like on3. Neither should you.

That’s a really bad example. IU paid more players and really did pay more than Purdue and it’s not disputed by Purdue. We just don’t know the numbers. The Hoosiers for good did publish numbers but it was what they paid out in total. We know TJD got the most followed by race. It was in the six figures for both just off that one endorsement. We do know IU donors and alums are on the NIL wagon(Purdue is trailing) That’s about all we know. I don’t take any stock in any published NIL value from sites like on3. Neither should you.
I believe the figures listed by the author on On3 are better researched than by anyone that posts here. Personally I think these NIL payments will be the end of college sports as being of much interest to any of us in a few years.

Reactions: Al Bino
So you don't know crap! Spouting no facts, no figures, but you KNOW! Purdue doesn't dispute what? Why in the Hell would they care about what IU does or IU care about what Purdue does! Sometimes it feels like some here are in race to nowhere!

So you don't know crap! Spouting no facts, no figures, but you KNOW! Purdue doesn't dispute what? Why in the Hell would they care about what IU does or IU care about what Purdue does! Sometimes it feels like some here are in race to nowhere!
You don’t either. So stfu triggered a$$ baby.

I believe the figures listed by the author on On3 are better researched than by anyone that posts here. Personally I think these NIL payments will be the end of college sports as being of much interest to any of us in a few years.
Lol and lol @rsomm

For those that would like to see how on3 comes up with their NIL formula, here's how they do it.

And this is key @rsomm @Bill4411

“While the algorithm includes deal data, it does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals athletes have completed to date, nor does it set an athlete’s NIL valuation for their entire career. The On3 NIL Valuation calculates the optimized NIL opportunity for athletes relative to the overall NIL market and projects out to as long as 12 months into the future.”

And this is key @rsomm @Bill4411

“While the algorithm includes deal data, it does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals athletes have completed to date, nor does it set an athlete’s NIL valuation for their entire career. The On3 NIL Valuation calculates the optimized NIL opportunity for athletes relative to the overall NIL market and projects out to as long as 12 months into the future.”
It's better than nothing. Give us something better for comparison then.

He also can't profit off his name for NIL under his visa so they have to get creative for his NIL.

On3 is just guessing at what these kids are worth.

He also can't profit off his name for NIL under his visa so they have to get creative for his NIL.

On3 is just guessing at what these kids are worth.
You can tell who’s paying by who the teams get. I know that’s not the whole picture but the ones that paid before are still paying. Nil still won’t stop the under table stuff either.

It’s an evaluation that isn’t based on real monetary value. On3 literally states this in their explanation. On3 NIL evaluation for Nijel Pack is $94k. We know for a fact that John Ruiz gave Nijel Pack $800k. Using On3 to try and decipher the real value of a player is pointless because there’s no real data used in the evaluation. It’s akin to somebody trying to guess that value of something inside a box based on the size, shape, and color of the wrapping without actually seeing what’s inside.

It’s an evaluation that isn’t based on real monetary value. On3 literally states this in their explanation. On3 NIL evaluation for Nijel Pack is $94k. We know for a fact that John Ruiz gave Nijel Pack $800k. Using On3 to try and decipher the real value of a player is pointless because there’s no real data used in the evaluation. It’s akin to somebody trying to guess that value of something inside a box based on the size, shape, and color of the wrapping without actually seeing what’s inside.
Which is why I have a problem with Courtsense saying there is no way that Edey got $800k. He has no idea nor do I other than what is published and/or what is stated on these message boards. The rumor is that Kansas has a package for Dickinson for 2 million dollars for next year-but again nothing but rumor. BTW TJD is worth a lot more than Dickinson, if he would have wanted to shop himself around like Big Dick did, I'm sure he could have gotten even more.

Which is why I have a problem with Courtsense saying there is no way that Edey got $800k. He has no idea nor do I other than what is published and/or what is stated on these message boards. The rumor is that Kansas has a package for Dickinson for 2 million dollars for next year-but again nothing but rumor. BTW TJD is worth a lot more than Dickinson, if he would have wanted to shop himself around like Big Dick did, I'm sure he could have gotten even more.
FWIW I think Edey made close to his NIL evaluation. But I would never use On3’s evaluation tool to try and make that argument because On3 explicitly states their evaluation algorithm doesn’t factor in actual signed NIL deals. It’s nothing more than an appraisal based on social media and on-court performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Those are value estimates not deals.

Edey could get that much...somewhere that has that kind of stroke.
His total payout approached $900k last year. If he returns, his deal will be around $1.5 mil including an insurance policy. Purdue will pay if a guy contributes to the school. Basically, everyone on the team gets the same and as they contribute more, their NIL money increases. Any deal they can secure on their own, is extra for them.

They won't pay to recruit a kid, which is a good thing. Judging by their 2024 class, it's not hurting them.

• Haha
His total payout approached $900k last year. If he returns, his deal will be around $1.5 mil including an insurance policy. Purdue will pay if a guy contributes to the school. Basically, everyone on the team gets the same and as they contribute more, their NIL money increases. Any deal they can secure on their own, is extra for them.

They won't pay to recruit a kid, which is a good thing. Judging by their 2024 class, it's not hurting them.
Can you actually report those figures? Other than the Hammer and Rails article citing his On3 evaluation?

FWIW I think Edey made close to his NIL evaluation. But I would never use On3’s evaluation tool to try and make that argument because On3 explicitly states their evaluation algorithm doesn’t factor in actual signed NIL deals. It’s nothing more than an appraisal based on social media and on-court performance.
On3 at least attempted to organize the NIL monies by player, which I presume they are more or less neutral in slant.

Can you actually report those figures? Other than the Hammer and Rails article citing his On3 evaluation?
I can tell you that I am familiar with Purdue's collective... and that concerning men's basketball and volleyball (women's obviously), I know what I'm talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT