ADVERTISEMENT

Dick Vitale lobbies for Tom Crean to Ohio State (link)

Because I didn't want to give license to an idiotic interpretation of the word to mean an equity stake in something, which wasn't the posters meaning. Rather, the term "own" was meant to convey IU's dominance of the media's attention within the state. It shouldn't need to be explained, but I'm sure someone won't have an understanding and will foolishly take the wrong tack.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down, college boy.

Because I didn't want to give license to an idiotic interpretation of the word to mean an equity stake in something, which wasn't the posters meaning. Rather, the term "own" was meant to convey IU's dominance of the media's attention within the state. It shouldn't need to be explained, but I'm sure someone won't have an understanding and will foolishly take the wrong tack.

Fair enough. I would have thought people would understand that the media is no different than any other business. It seeks to maximize its profitability via drawing in the most customers. Simple concept.

Fair enough. I would have thought people would understand that the media is no different than any other business. It seeks to maximize its profitability via drawing in the most customers. Simple concept.
You would have thought so, right? Incredible how little sense some posters have here.

Last edited:
IU doesn't own the media - IU simply has the allegiance of a much greater number of Hoosiers and indeed US citizens (more and more loyal graduates). The demographic, hence marketing, and certifiably indisputable reality is that most people simply do not care about Purdue. So yeah, in light of your resorting to making shit up to explain a reality that makes you unhappy, you're "butt-hurt".
The reality is IU grads are journalists that write the stories that people read.
Purdue grads are typically in the technical fields.
Purdue grads tend to filter out of the state and end up in Silicon Valley, Houston and China.
And I don't know how many foreigners IU has on campus but Purdue has a ton of Chinese and other foreigners.
So you are absolutely correct that IU has more alumni and fans in Indiana and in the US than Purdue.
You are dead wrong on the media. IU doesn't own the media but they definitely get more coverage. (because of the fans?).
As an example to add to the above 500 situation. The singer for the song Back Home Again in Indiana was identified as an IU alum. The Purdue Band played the song as was not mentioned. Silly? Like the Painter slight it did catch my attention.[/QUOTE]
I noticed the band did not get mentioned. First time I think that had happened. Didn't show the drum either. Always a highlight. dws Also did not hear the slight on Painter.

IU doesn't own the media - IU simply has the allegiance of a much greater number of Hoosiers and indeed US citizens (more and more loyal graduates). The demographic, hence marketing, and certifiably indisputable reality is that most people simply do not care about Purdue. So yeah, in light of your resorting to making shit up to explain a reality that makes you unhappy, you're "butt-hurt".
The reality is IU grads are journalists that write the stories that people read.
Purdue grads tend to filter out of the state and end up in Silicon Valley, Houston and China.
And I don't know how many foreigners IU has on campus but Purdue has a ton of Chinese and other foreigners.
So you are absolutely correct that IU has more alumni and fans in Indiana and in the US than Purdue.
You are dead wrong on the media. IU doesn't own the media but they definitely get more coverage. (because of the fans?).
As an example to add to the above 500 situation. The singer for the song Back Home Again in Indiana was identified as an IU alum. The Purdue Band played the song as was not mentioned. Silly? Like the Painter slight it did catch my attention.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. The in state audience has a much higher number of IU grads. Add to that the non-grad subway alumni that follow IU due to both their success and Marketing prowess. The result is the media feeding its audience in order to sell advertising.

Most people know the PU band has played at the 500 forever. Less knew that Jim Cornelison or Straight no Chaser before him are IU grads. IU always has tremendous singers in TAH for games and Jim checked off one more on his bucket list when he got the gig for the UNC game last season.

I found it funny that I was getting PU emails looking for tryouts to sing at games in Mackey. IU could send about 100 that will never make the cut in TAH but would rip the roof off of Mackey on their way to Broadway or The Kennedy Center.

Idk that you can claim IU has any less international students or and less grads across the country/world. Plus, I think you are leaving a lot of agriculture students out of your equation. However, IU, particularly in basketball, has a lot more success (don't start the B10 title argument), especially in people who currently live in the state's lifetimes. IU, also, has a very good journalism school (which certainly plays a role). There just are more IU fans in the state (alumni and non). That is the biggest factor. Journalists want to write articles more people read. That said, there is still plenty to read about Purdue. There just is much more interest in most of the state in IU. IU, also, accepts more students each year and is at least the slightly bigger of the two....

As an example to add to the above 500 situation. The singer for the song Back Home Again in Indiana was identified as an IU alum. The Purdue Band played the song as was not mentioned. Silly? Like the Painter slight it did catch my attention.
I noticed the band did not get mentioned. First time I think that had happened. Didn't show the drum either. Always a highlight. dws Also did not hear the slight on Painter.[/QUOTE]

The reality is IU grads are journalists that write the stories that people read. Purdue grads are typically in the technical fields. Purdue grads tend to filter out of the state and end up in Silicon Valley, Houston and China. And I don't know how many foreigners IU has on campus but Purdue has a ton of Chinese and other foreigners. So you are absolutely correct that IU has more alumni and fans in Indiana and in the US than Purdue. You are dead wrong on the media. IU doesn't own the media but they definitely get more coverage. (because of the fans?).

Are you a rectal communication major or are you just talking out of your ass? You have any stats on the national abundance/ dominance of IU journalists? Or the distribution of IU grads compared to those from Purdue? Of course not, it's just made-up BS. And I'd lay even money IU has as many if not more foreign students than Purdue, not that it matters in the least.

Of course IU gets more coverage. As I said, far fewer people care abut Purdue, hence less coverage. If to "own" the media means dominating as you allege, since you've shown nothing that points to IU or its grads actually owning or controlling the media by dint of investment or employment, then what you're really saying is that IU owns Purdue.

No wonder you post over here instead of at G&B.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Of course IU gets more coverage. As I said, far fewer people care abut Purdue, hence less coverage. .

Heck, just look at the Moo U fans who are obsessed with us (just like the hillbillies from Kaintuck). They care more about our program than their own.

I can't fathom wanting to read their boards yet this place is infested with fans from both inferior programs.

Yeah - OSU fired a guy with a .733 winning percentage so they could hire Clappy. Vitale really needs to be put out to pasture.
I agree that Crean is not going to get hired by the O$U. Butler or Xaviers coach is more likely. However, one thing we know is a big fat lie from the Boilermakers. They do not have the biggest drum in the world. Just ask Texas or Mizzou. I demand an investigation, but the Russians will probably be blamed! Here's a link:

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...gest-drum-claim-a-giant-exaggeration/3691109/

I agree that Crean is not going to get hired by the O$U. Butler or Xaviers coach is more likely. However, one thing we know is a big fat lie from the Boilermakers. They do not have the biggest drum in the world. Just ask Texas or Mizzou. I demand an investigation, but the Russians will probably be blamed! Here's a link:

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...gest-drum-claim-a-giant-exaggeration/3691109/

Had never seen that article but for some reason had heard as a student that their's was not a factual claim. Read the comments submitted on the article, some seriously butthurt folks.

It's funny how so many people keep crying "Keep politics off here" yet have to throw in a whine-fest about the Russians.

The fact is, if Hillary did 25% of what Donnie did, the Right would be screaming for her head on a platter.

And they know it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT