ADVERTISEMENT

Diamonds and Rubies at Home....

82IU

Freshman
Apr 30, 2016
Turds on the Road! It is what it is. We have played well enough to win at Home (almost Kansas) and pretty poorly away from AH (except Meet Chicken). Inconsistent guard play will keep this team from reaching its potential. Nothing new but it is completely a "Head Scratcher" why we could not find a couple more guards who could help us, especially in this Basketball Crazy State of Indiana. In my youth, a lot of good kids would give their "Left One" to come put on the Ole IU uniform. Not any more, I guess. Maybe the parity in College Basketball has drawn a lot of the marginal Power 5 players to get scholarships at smaller schools. There they can play and shine leaving IU with slim pickins to find a couple of Diamonds in the Rough to add to the roster. The HPER used to have a lot of talented guys over the years who left me wondering how they weren't playing College Ball somewhere. You might also think that the Football Team would have a couple of athletic guys who might be good enough to help out at Guard. Are our Walkons that bad that we don't have one guy who could contribute? I guess maybe it becomes an ego issue with the Scholarship guys. I guess it is what it is.
Rant over, thanks for letting me vent! LOL.

Football players to basketball.
Cam Cameron
Quinn Buckner
Did Don Nort play both?
Off the top of my head - Antwaan Randle El and Jim Thomas. Both played football but ARE settled on football and JT settled on basketball.

Reactions: kkott
Off the top of my head - Antwaan Randle El and Jim Thomas. Both played football but ARE settled on football and JT settled on basketball.
Trent Smock. Wide receiver.

John Isenbarger also played a game or two. While he was tall (6’3”) for a running back I remember him looking short but pudgy at 200 pounds on the court.

Turds on the Road! It is what it is. We have played well enough to win at Home (almost Kansas) and pretty poorly away from AH (except Meet Chicken). Inconsistent guard play will keep this team from reaching its potential. Nothing new but it is completely a "Head Scratcher" why we could not find a couple more guards who could help us, especially in this Basketball Crazy State of Indiana. In my youth, a lot of good kids would give their "Left One" to come put on the Ole IU uniform. Not any more, I guess. Maybe the parity in College Basketball has drawn a lot of the marginal Power 5 players to get scholarships at smaller schools. There they can play and shine leaving IU with slim pickins to find a couple of Diamonds in the Rough to add to the roster. The HPER used to have a lot of talented guys over the years who left me wondering how they weren't playing College Ball somewhere. You might also think that the Football Team would have a couple of athletic guys who might be good enough to help out at Guard. Are our Walkons that bad that we don't have one guy who could contribute? I guess maybe it becomes an ego issue with the Scholarship guys. I guess it is what it is.
Rant over, thanks for letting me vent! LOL.
1. Even if You found some talent on the football team, bringing them in at this point in the Season getting them in "basketball Shape", (Trust Me as someone Who played both sports all four years of High school, there is a difference between the two), and getting them to learn the Offense and Defense to the point They contribute significantly would take the rest of the year.

2. The problem is We don't have a true point guard at this time. Cupps is inexperienced and not quick enough at this level. Johnson is a Turnover Machine at his worst, and in my opinion He is difficult to play with. WhAT i MEAN IS THAT he IS herky-jerky in his movements and You can't predict what He will do. On one play, You will be in position to receive a pass, and He won't get the ball to You. On the next possession. You think You are covered and in no position to receive, and He will surprise You by throwing a miracle pass between a defenders Legs and through 3 sets of arms that You aren't expecting. I'm with You . I would like to see Woodson use someone off the bench (even a Walk On) for 3 or 4 minutes a half at point guard to take some of the pressure off Cupps.

Reactions: 76-1
1. Even if You found some talent on the football team, bringing them in at this point in the Season getting them in "basketball Shape", (Trust Me as someone Who played both sports all four years of High school, there is a difference between the two), and getting them to learn the Offense and Defense to the point They contribute significantly would take the rest of the year.

2. The problem is We don't have a true point guard at this time. Cupps is inexperienced and not quick enough at this level. Johnson is a Turnover Machine at his worst, and in my opinion He is difficult to play with. WhAT i MEAN IS THAT he IS herky-jerky in his movements and You can't predict what He will do. On one play, You will be in position to receive a pass, and He won't get the ball to You. On the next possession. You think You are covered and in no position to receive, and He will surprise You by throwing a miracle pass between a defenders Legs and through 3 sets of arms that You aren't expecting. I'm with You . I would like to see Woodson use someone off the bench (even a Walk On) for 3 or 4 minutes a half at point guard to take some of the pressure off Cupps.
Well if you count the walk-ons we have 11 guards on the roster.

Don Noort did not play football and could barely play basketball. He was the first player I ever remember being glad when he finally graduated. Jim Thomas? No way. Basketball only.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT